Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think that is a distinction without a difference. In either case your data is potentially leaving your device to be used/stored on someone else's servers.
How is that different in what other phone companies are doing? Samsung AI say:

Many of our Galaxy AI features use on-device data processing which means sensitive information stays with you and you alone. For those features that do require processing in the cloud or external servers, we make sure your data is protected with strict policies.

I can't imagine Elon would allow Google Pixels in if he's this concerned about Apple...or users to have Facebook installed.

The only integration of ChatGPT on the apple demo was as an example of an external general AI that could be integrated. But the statement was that external AIs could be integrated, implying that it could link to several as choices eventually. So maybe xAI becomes another one of them. Or maybe Grok.
Pretty sure Elon just burned that bridge. Apple now doing post keynote interviews saying Google gemini will be another 3rd party model offered soon.

Should be noted this is only available on latest model iPhone Pro & any apple silicon powered Macs & iPads (M1 or newer) - which accounts for somewhere between 100m-150m devices gloablly, so the vast 1 billion+ Apple user base will not have access to it for some time until they upgrade to new devices.

Last edited:
Which is why I strongly believe Elon will definitely NOT leave.

I don't believe Elon will leave Tesla if the vote fails either. Even if he loses the compensation plan stock options, he still owns a LOT of TSLA shares, and most of his wealth is tied up in those shares. He still has a very vested interest in making Tesla as valuable as possible, no matter what. IMHO.

Many of our Galaxy AI features use on-device data processing which means sensitive information stays with you and you alone. For those features that do require processing in the cloud or external servers, we make sure your data is protected with strict policies.

I can't imagine Elon would allow Google Pixels in if he's this concerned about Apple...or users to have Facebook installed.
Well, we don't have any Samsung device that are approved to connect to our network and access our data directly. (We don't care so much about user owned devices, they either use cellular data or can connect to our public Internet only WiFi, which has no more access to our data than any other device on the Internet.) There is an app that can be installed on personal devices to allow limited access to things like email, but it keeps everything sandboxed, and encrypted, inside the app space. (Including its own VPN connection to our servers.)

Well, we don't have any Samsung device that are approved to connect to our network and access our data directly. (We don't care so much about user owned devices, they either use cellular data or can connect to our public Internet only WiFi, which has no more access to our data than any other device on the Internet.) There is an app that can be installed on personal devices to allow limited access to things like email, but it keeps everything sandboxed, and encrypted, inside the app space. (Including its own VPN connection to our servers.)
Apple has to do this to keep up with Samsung/Google who are already doing this today. I'm sure all will have opt out clauses.

The point is Elon looks crazy singling out Apple the way he is.

Just last week, heavy rain caused flooding in southern Germany, causing an estimated €2B in property damage. Last year July, a similar event caused damage in the range of €40B. Such calculations only account for what it takes to rebuild. Loss of lives and productivity and secondary damage to the environment from oil spills and the like go on top. The other extreme caused by climate change are draughts. About 20% of German trees are sick or already gone due to several consecutive hot, dry summers. And this in a country with moderate climate. The flood in Brazil last month left more than 600k people homeless. There are costs to the health system, for damage control, entire islands slowly drowning and how do you put a number on the effect on the oceans and wildlife in general?

And while a single event cannot be attributed to climate change, the frequency and magnitude can.

Fossil fuels are subsidized as long as the environmental damage is not fully priced in. Not much difference to a tax break for EVs.
Sorry, you've completely jumped the shark.

It’s not. Most government entities and many corporate entities place restrictions about any of their data that is stored in the cloud. In the US, there is a federal standard known as FedRAMP ( How to Become FedRAMP Authorized | FedRAMP.gov ), that federal agencies require based on their assessment of risk associated with any compromised data. States are moving in this direction as well (StateRAMP). Based on @MP3Mike ‘s statements I surmise his firm has rules on firms that store company data in the cloud. Most large companies do.

Btw, it looks like Samsung has thought of this - see the article linked 4 pillars of keeping AI secure for business - Samsung Business Insights
Here is a relevant excerpt “Businesses can considers adopting a strategy that involves disabling cloud processing for sensitive AI tasks. That way, they can take control of cloud-based AI data. Samsung offers a solution to enable businesses to disable cloud processing seamlessly through its Knox Service Plug-In. Enabling the “Allow process data only on device” policy will force on-device AI data processing locally with no reliance on the cloud. This approach provides greater flexibility and control over AI workflows while maintaining data privacy and security. IT admins can access Knox Service Plug-In on major EMMs, including Microsoft Intune, VMware, Knox Manage and others.”

We don’t know what Tesla’s internal security / compliance policies are, but I would expect them to be quite strict.

I took this comment as reference long-term at least partially:

And of course this jokester:

lmao
@Maarten @Artful Dodger and I agree that manipulative shorting has been a big factor in holding TSLA down at the moment and during the timeframe Dodge was referencing. Look how crazy-level the stock price has been for over a month. You continue to suggest that many of us believe shorting is the reason TSLA fell in the first place. Nobody that I know believes that.

Consider the following scenarios:
* TSLA falling as margins shrink and growth rate slows. You and I both agree this was the primary reason for TSLA's dip of recent years.

* TSLA falling as Elon sold stock to buy Twitter. This is a case of market being unhappy with Elon selling but complicated by hedge funds and others short-selling to front-running the news of Elon selling and causing the dip to be deeper than it would be otherwise. Verdict: Dip was combination of market forces plus manipulation forces.

* Past month of TSLA trading: TSLA has traded mostly level in a tight trading range while Nasdaq has risen and percent of TSLA selling by shorts has been routinely above 60% (a level indicating far above normal shorting activity). Option sellers have something to gain by holding TSLA level and they're doing so through mechanisms I describe daily in my Papafox's Daily TSLA Trading Charts posts. In this case, manipulations are overriding market forces and causing TSLA to remain level, rather than climbing with the market and with good Tesla news.

There's a big difference between saying manipulations are currently holding TSLA down vs. saying it was a bigger factor than margin and growth shrinkage in TSLA's dip. Please don't try to convince readers that we are saying things we clearly are not.

Strong agree. Many companies will adopt this view, for the same reasons (my company restricts use of Chat GPT today). The same may happen to Tesla depending on what data the AI uses within its cars, and eventually Optimus. While I might like to have an Optimus in my business or at home. I don’t want it recording all things and sending it back to Dojo for processing and anything else it wants to do with my business/personal data.

The whole issue of data privacy has pretty much been ignored in terms of regulation for consumers in the US. But it’s coming.
its been coming for 30 years...just saying

I finished chasing down my final 600 shares in an obscure account to vote. Took two weeks cause the first agent promised the sky and that the control number will be available when I call in a week. The second one had to put it through a rush job cause I threatened to withdraw apl my assets from them.

Some question I have for others is this. Why are they now t able to vote in other countries if all you needed was the proxy vote's control number?

Which part, the second?
I want clean air. I've stated on here my number one reason for wanting the world to transition to electric cars and clean energy is I want to breath fresh air. I have a hard time believing the smut we pump into the air has a financial toll of 2.9T. It doesn't pass the, ehem, sniff test. I bet if you dug into the details of where that number came from, you would find it highly flawed. You're right though, I'm no expert.

This is what the latest IPCC report says:-
C.1 Climate change is a threat to human well-being and planetary health (very high confidence).There is a rapidly closing window of opportunity to secure a liveable and sustainable future for all (very high confidence).

In this case, very high confidence doesn't actually inspire much confidence.

Unless you are claiming that a liveable and sustainable future isn't important.

As for the numbers, there is a lot of expensive real estate on earth and a fair chunk of that will be exposed to Climate Change impacts.

If he had a Tesla, it’s unlikely he ever drove it or even understand how it worked.
WAPO (cough, cough) did a fluff piece on "Donald Trump's lavish lifestyle" . They listed cars in his collection, which included a Tesla, a Cadillac Escalade, a Ferrari, a Maybach, a Mercedes Benz and a Rolls Royce. All that tells me is that Trump has money and likes to collect luxury cars. As you stated, Trump has consistently attacked the both the validity of anthropogenic climate change and the transition to BEVs.

As an aside, I'd hardly call Trump an advocate for free markets, as he strongly supports draconian import duties. A true free marketer (who I believe only exist in ivory tower think tanks) would cringe at Trump's opposition to free trade.