Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OT factoids (but not cybertruck related)
Veneers are usually hardwood because they bend easier and can be thinner. Ships' masts are usually pine because pine is stiffer. (My understanding).
Hardwood vs softwood refers to the seed formation. Angiosperms have and outer shell (acorn, walnut) are hardwoods. Pines are gymnosperms without a covering.
What is the difference between a hardwood and a softwood?

Balsa, the least dense wood, is a hardwood.
Douglas fir is mechanically hard, but is a softwood.

I have a couple really cheap calls for 11/22, 385-415. I doubt they will be worth anything but perhaps we are due for a big surprise at launch. I could see a big shock to the truck market if this product is done correctly. A model 3 performance is superior to an M3 in almost every way, but it doesn't do much differently (ignoring FSD stuff), but a crazy Tesla pickup could have wildly different features than a standard truck. Fingers crossed.
I don't think the Semi product launch is a good data point for predicting what will happen stock-wise with today's event. The Semi / Roadster 2 reveal was in November of 2017 -- the Model 3 was not being delivered yet in any measurable volume. The company was still delivering about 15,000 cars total per quarter. The stock price, back then, was always liable to swing wildly based on things the company said it was planning to do. The stock doesn't act that way anymore. What swings the stock now is not product announcements, or promises, or world-changing plans, but evidence of execution on those plans. Only two things have moved the stock more than a handful of percentage points over the last year-plus: profit numbers and delivery numbers. Past-tense reveals, not future-tense reveals.

I don't expect much movement after this event, unless they announce something that they've already done, rather than something they intend to do.

cmon, TSLA, make me 0 for 3 on predictions this season. :)
It could go the other way too though. Tesla has proven that they can bring mass market products to customers in large numbers at a profit. That makes promising new vehicles interesting, rather than just pie in the sky promises.

Last edited:
There is no chance this truck unveil "impresses". We may or may not like the design and will certainly be impressed with the capabilities, but I think from an investment perspective it's likely a sell event. Way too different and hard to hold up next to existing market offerings.

I think the average lemming mind will find this unpallatible and be willing to absorb the coming FUD wave.

Buy LEAPs on the Friday drop perhaps?

I have a couple really cheap calls for 11/22, 385-415. I doubt they will be worth anything but perhaps we are due for a big surprise at launch. I could see a big shock to the truck market if this product is done correctly. A model 3 performance is superior to an M3 in almost every way, but it doesn't do much differently (ignoring FSD stuff), but a crazy Tesla pickup could have wildly different features than a standard truck. Fingers crossed.

Hope so. :) And it's important not to downplay how huge the pickup market is - especially in Tesla's home base, the US. Not just large in terms of numbers of vehicles sold, but it's also a cash cow. Ford's bread and butter, for example.

Reactions: UncaNed and Lessmog
CyberPunk.
Nov 22nd China .. China-Built Tesla Model 3 to Go On Sale Friday - Caixin Global (also around same time. Further CP reveal being broadcast on WeChat ...)

& One more thing ... standard Pickup or x.com --> y, Or both

BullishAF

(today's gains could be short lived, but if above happens, tomorrows gains will be part of the upward trajectory ) ...

There is no chance this truck unveil "impresses". We may or may not like the design and will certainly be impressed with the capabilities, but I think from an investment perspective it's likely a sell event. Way too different and hard to hold up next to existing market offerings.

Wow, how'd you get to see what it looks like??? Where did you find out enough to know how it holds up next to existing market offerings??? Share, share! ;)

Hardwood vs softwood refers to the seed formation. Angiosperms have and outer shell (acorn, walnut) are hardwoods. Pines are gymnosperms without a covering.

additional OT facts: the word "factoid" traditionally refers to untrue (but often repeated) statements. It's basically an older version of the phrase "Fake news". Through widespread misuse, however, the second usage ("brief and/or trivial facts") has arisen. Ironic that the term "factoid", which originally literally meant fake news, has mutated to refer to real news. Ironic, but apropos for the times we now live in, i suppose.

from M-W:

We can thank Norman Mailer for the word factoid; he coined the term in his 1973 book Marilyn, about Marilyn Monroe. In the book, Mailer explains that factoids are "facts which have no existence before appearing in a magazine or newspaper, creations which are not so much lies as a product to manipulate emotion in the Silent Majority." In creating his coinage, Mailer relied on "-oid," a suffix that traces back to the ancient Greek word eidos, meaning "appearance" or "form." Mailer followed in a long tradition when he chose "-oid"; English speakers have been making words from "-oid" since at least the late 16th century.

Don't they need that wood for the dashboards? Not destroyed, repurposed!

A better use for timber would be building the structure of GF4 out of wood. There is a big global move in building towards mass timber construction as it has much less embodied energy and can also be built quickly. Glu lam beams for the main structure and cross laminated timber for suspended slabs. Wood like spruce is typically used but they should also be able to use pine, although drying may be an issue for anything harvested on site.

Oslo airport is a nice example of what's possible with timber:
4l-image-42.jpg

A better use for timber would be building the structure of GF4 out of wood. There is a big global move in building towards mass timber construction as it has much less embodied energy and can also be built quickly. Glu lam beams for the main structure and cross laminated timber for suspended slabs. Wood like spruce is typically used but they should also be able to use pine, although drying may be an issue for anything harvested on site.

Oslo airport is a nice example of what's possible with timber:
4l-image-42.jpg

Or Housing perhaps. Save the 1 hr commute from Downtown, unless EM liked the train ride too much.

Reactions: KarenRei
Reactions: Drumheller
I can't imagine the factory itself being built out of timber, but office buildings, housing, furnishings, non-work-area flooring, etc would be a great idea. Just so long as they make it clear what they're doing with it, and connected to the project somehow, to get rid of the (inaccurate) notion that it's "wasted".
Imagine how much T-P can be made from all that biomass! Shorts will never live that down. ;)

Mod: ALL truck discussion goes to the dedicated thread. ALL Tesla Pickup/Truck discussion in this thread. . Moving posts is too much work, compared to just deleting them. This is a guideline, stay within it. --ggr

I really disagree with this. The cyber truck is the biggest event going on right now for Tesla. It seems like the most appropriate topic of conversation for this thread today and tomorrow. What are we supposed to talk about? Model Y, autonomy, solar roof… There are dedicated threads for all of these. The day before the model three reveal, we were not supposed to talk about the model three?

Is the only topic we are supposed to talk about the stock price?

I really disagree with this. The cyber truck is the biggest event going on right now for Tesla. It seems like the most appropriate topic of conversation for this thread today and tomorrow. What are we supposed to talk about? Model Y, autonomy, solar roof… There are dedicated threads for all of these. The day before the model three reveal, we were not supposed to talk about the model three?

Wood.

Yes, conform or be cast out

upload_2019-11-21_10-50-10.png

Great post. Finally, we have this resolved.

$359,26
$359,19
$359,23
$359,25
$359,37
$359,33
$359,39

Just keeping you all informed! ;)