Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is anyone else reading that as a non-denial denial? In order for that statement to be true, it just means:

1. Their TSLA position has been more profitable than most of their other short positions
  2. They still hold some sort of short position in TSLA
It says absolutely nothing about how that short position has changed recently, or is changing.

The current 3rd most upvoted question asks bluntly, "Did you cover your TSLA short position?" Hasn't been asked yet. Most upvoted question was what you'd ask Elon if he was here.

All done now.

A better use for timber would be building the structure of GF4 out of wood. There is a big global move in building towards mass timber construction as it has much less embodied energy and can also be built quickly. Glu lam beams for the main structure and cross laminated timber for suspended slabs. Wood like spruce is typically used but they should also be able to use pine, although drying may be an issue for anything harvested on site.

Oslo airport is a nice example of what's possible with timber:
4l-image-42.jpg

As Southern California discovered when they imported Eucalyptus trees to build railroads, Eucalypts are basically useless...

Don't know if Chinese would be watching the unveiling. Pickups are not that popular in China but then again there may be a lot of Chinese buying the Cybertruck as the latest status symbol.

I should have been more clear.

My hope is that, during the Cybertruck event, Elon shares live video of MIC deliveries happening, in real time, via Starlink.

Not for the purpose of selling Cybertrucks in China, but it would be a great visual representation of how the company now has many exciting projects happening in real time across the globe.

My big takeaway from this interview was a real feeling of sadness for the students of his Yale fraud class. He has a great deal of financial knowledge, and can be quite convincing to bright-eyed truth-seekers, inspired by his Enron prophecy.

Unfortunately he is [quite deliberately] aligning them against what is probably one of the few (only?) large corporate entities truly trying to do something good for all of us.

OK here it is. The list apparently no one asked for. Either way useful for me.
Model X 2012 +2.04%
Supercharger v1 -9.78%
Battery swap -1.09%
The "D" -7.82%
Model X 2015 +0.71%
Model 3 +3.4%
Semi/Roadster +0.82%
Model Y -5.01%

Well, it seems to me puts are a better bet than calls. I'll probably stay away from this one but I definitely won't buy calls.

Interesting - thank you!

At the moment ggr is somewhere over the Pacific, so we cannot consult him. But the rest of the mods have decided to make an exception and allow all Cybertruck discussion on this big day for Tesla and us all, and also a few days after the unveiling. The exception being pictures of all kinds of APCs and weirdmobiles. Enjoy!

Oh good.

555 minutes until Cybertruck reveal ;)

I am sorry to be a party popper.

Apologies not necessary, I *like* party poppers. Just don't poop and I'm happy.

Trucks have to work for 200k miles and more in real harsh environments. Not sure if EVs are ready for that.

Oh, thanks for that - you just made my entire day!

How come no one will tell me how I go about getting a "hilarious" emoticon added, the "Big Grin" :) just can't do justice here. I need the one called "that's funny AF":

The reason I think it's funny that you doubt EV's are ready for "real harsh environments" is because this truck is 100% electric, no gas, no diesel:
edumper-electric-mining-truck-3.jpg

And it carries 65 tons of mining debris in the mountains of Switzerland. Is that a harsh enough environment for you? It's been doing that day in/day out for years.

Last edited:
You've previously indicated concern about misuse of language, so you may appreciate this.

We were taught in grade school that the meanings of words can often be inferred with a sound knowledge of prefixes and suffixes.

The suffix "oid" means resembling but not genuine , i.e. fake.
. . .

I suggest that people avoid using the word "factoid" to mean a small fact, and instead use "brief fact" or "trivia". Of course the use of "factoid" with its originally intended meaning is to be encouraged.

Link to Guardian article: A factoid is not a small fact. Fact | Mind your language
Ethymology of "avoid" please? "Not quite a true bird"? :cool:

You've previously indicated concern about misuse of language, so you may appreciate this.

We were taught in grade school that the meanings of words can often be inferred with a sound knowledge of prefixes and suffixes.

The suffix "oid" means resembling but not genuine , i.e. fake.

My 1994 dictionary has only one definition for "factoid": Something widely believed to be true, but actually untrue.

Unfortunately, around that time CNN started its commercial breaks with a brief fact which they labeled a factoid. Their incorrect assumption seemed to be that the suffix "oid" meant small. Enraged linguists contacted CNN and eventually got them to stop. Nevertheless, misuse of the word spread rapidly, forcing dictionaries to include a second definition that is quite contrary to the original.

I suggest that people avoid using the word "factoid" to mean a small fact, and instead use "brief fact" or "trivia". Of course the use of "factoid" with its originally intended meaning is to be encouraged.

Link to Guardian article: A factoid is not a small fact. Fact | Mind your language

Sorry Curt, but: hemorrhoids = very, very real

Is anyone else reading that as a non-denial denial? In order for that statement to be true, it just means:

1. Their TSLA position has been more profitable than most of their other short positions
  2. They still hold some sort of short position in TSLA
It says absolutely nothing about how that short position has changed recently, or is changing.
Also doesnt say how their short position is profitable. Could be from donations :)

It's amazing how shorts worship Chanos as a genius. He talks about things that he doesn't really understand, but they are so confident that he is right.

For example, he talks about Hainan island of China. He laughs that they have an international airport, then they built a second airport, then they are building a third one. He uses that to show China are bad at planning and he thinks the small island really needs just one airport.

To understand Hainan, first he should understand how China turned ShenZhen, a small fishing village, into a large high tech city with 25 million people living there (the online result of 12.5 million is not the true number of residents). You can google Shenzhen and look at the pictures, it started from nothing not long ago.

China is determined to turn Hainan into the most advanced island in the world, tourism is part of a large plan. They know what they are doing with those airports. That island is not tiny. It's 50 times larger than Singapore. Watch how Hainan island is transformed in the next 20 years. Chinese want the island to be developed quickly. To make sure things go right, they established a development advisory board, the chairman is Jack Ma, vice chairman is Pony Ma. Chanos probably doesn't know who is Jack Ma and Pony Ma. /s

This is all public information, I'm surprised shorts don't really research before they talk.

One image is more than a thousand words. Chanos vs. index.

1808130423.jpg

Recently I saw a newer chart shows he is further behind the index, but I couldn't find the chart again.