Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What a Cluster F***.

What happened to "no weirdmobiles"? Why show how many conventional trucks are sold a year and then release such a niche product that has no hope in meaningfully moving the dial?

Why host this at SpaceX? All week I've been telling my kid, do you want to see a car pull a rocket? Based upon the Spy Who Loved Me tweet, all day I've been saying Do you want to see a car that drive through water?

And all we get is a weird demo where the second half is in front of two smashed windows. What about showing a bunch of construction workers using tools power from it? What about showing its off road capability? And what was that weird little buggy at the end?

Well done TMCers that sold shares yesterday. The most worried I have been after a Tesla product launch ever.
I think you should be more worried about this beautiful machine Osborneing Tesla’s entire lineup.

I have no doubt several Tesla employees are feeling Elon's wrath right now. This should have been free publicity for all their products and instead all that MSM will focus on is the smashed glass.

The glass they tested was probably used for the wind screen. The side glass is different, as it should be. You should be able to break that in case of emergency. But Elon and Franz didn't get the memo.

If we’re looking at 100k deposits by the end of the week, this was a huge success.

How about 100k by the end of the day? Thats what I'm expecting. At least. I hope Tesla announces it.

Is there a publicly-viewable ticker for Cybertruck orders? Or is that you impression based on something else?

Cheers!

It is my impression based on the dozens of people confirming their reservation in this thread alone.

It will sell like hot cakes in North America, in China, in Australia. Not so much in Europe, with the exception of Russia and maybe Scandinavia.

What happened to "no weirdmobiles"? Why show how many conventional trucks are sold a year and then release such a niche product that has no hope in meaningfully moving the dial?

I love the design, it is a nice looking truck with a minimalist design:

Screen-Shot-2019-11-22-at-7.03.09-AM.jpg

And as I was browsing through truck pictures online, they looked so ... last century, and not in a good way:

upload_2019-11-22_9-3-59.png

I think this sums it up pretty well:

I always wanted a stainless steel car (not fond of paint as it gets scratches, looks old after some years). Stainless steel gets patina with age - looks better.

This will be my first truck - ever. Love the clean design. Bauhaus? Form and Function.

Guess I won't be the only one.

This thing polarizes as much as TSLA. In the end - it will win (as will TSLA).

Do you really think Tesla should have made an EV truck for coal-rolling truckers, just like Apple should have made a flip phone with a physical keyboard for all the Blackberry loving managers, not that weird, fragile, all-glass-metal shiny thing with distinctive lines?

The two broken side windows demo of the prototype was indeed a SMH moment. Hopefully it was a big enough embarrassment for Elon to up his game next time?

But yeah, a polarizing design sure will give the shorts all the ammunition they need to re-enter the game with conviction.

The glass they tested was probably used for the wind screen. The side glass is different, as it should be. You should be able to break that in case of emergency. But Elon and Franz didn't get the memo.

How about 100k by the end of the day? Thats what I'm expecting. At least. I hope Tesla announces it.

It is my impression based on the dozens of people confirming their reservation in this thread alone.

It will sell like hot cakes in North America, in China, in Australia. Not so much in Europe, with the exception of Russia and maybe Scandinavia.

Oh that's ok then. The CEO and head of product design didn't know that only the wind shield had smash proof glass, not the side windows which they smashed not once but twice. When pretty much the only thing demo'd in the presentation was the ability of the shell and glass to withstand damage.

I don't take pleasure in saying it but this was amateur hour style PR.

I think you should be more worried about that beautiful machine Osborneing Tesla’s entire lineup.

You know, it's funny you would say that. I was one hoping for a radically, non-traditional design. But when I first saw it I was appalled. I thought it was a joke. I kept waiting for Elon to pop off those body panels and reveal the real truck underneath. But as I looked at it for a while and learned more about its exoskeleton, uni-body design and studied it from different angles, it started to grow on me. Then I realized it wasn't a cruel joke, it was something truly cool and unique. And the more I saw pictures and videos of it, the more it grew on me.

What really got me were the low prices and amazing specs. Before the reveal, I was prepared to pay for around $100,000 for the fully loaded model I would want. But I ended up ordering the mid-model for only $49K! And only because I didn't want to wait another year for the tri-motor model. That's so cheap I can still hardly believe they will be able to stick to those low prices.

And, yes, it *is* beautiful!

It’s amazing how one small change takes it from radical to much more iterative.

View attachment 479889

And hopefully work with a fifth wheel. That’s what I want it for. I put down a deposit on the tri motor setup. If shorts can pile on to push down the SP, I can pile on to inflate the reservations. Haha. But I may actually go through with the purchase. It does look like fun as hell to drive this to work for my white dollar position. After all, I do have to haul a laptop.

I love the design, it is a nice looking truck with a minimalist design:

Screen-Shot-2019-11-22-at-7.03.09-AM.jpg

And as I was browsing through truck pictures online, they looked so ... last century, and not in a good way:

I think this sums it up pretty well:

Do you really think Tesla should have made an EV truck for coal-rolling truckers, just like Apple should have made a flip phone with a physical keyboard for all the Blackberry loving managers, not that weird, fragile, all-glass-metal shiny thing with distinctive lines?

The two broken side windows demo of the prototype was indeed a SMH moment. Hopefully it was a big enough embarrassment for Elon to up his game next time?

But yeah, a polarizing design sure will give the shorts all the ammunition they need to re-enter the game with conviction.

It takes time for people to get used to new designs. Give it a week lots of people who don't like it today will change opinion. I love the design. I might run a fleet of Cybertrucks on Tesla Network. It's nice I don't need to worry about paint scratch.

I don't take pleasure in saying it but this was amateur hour style PR.

Absolutely the breaking of the glass during the demo was amateur hour, and has been so during much of Tesla's 10+ years of existence, with Elon getting a solid C- grade for "public presentation performance".

Tesla is a success despite all that, and this embarrassment won't change that either. Tesla engineering has at times been "driven by embarrassment": the Model 3 panel gaps now exceed German premium car panel gap metrics.

I'm wondering when Elon is finally going to discover that other introvert tech execs are using ... professional coaches to prepare for presentations, with excellent results. Giving good presentations is a technology in essence, one which Elon should eventually acquire. ;)

Last edited: