Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure why Unsworth character other than the fact that he is a pedo or not, really matters here ?

Even if he is a 3rd rate scumbag, Elon's comment would have to be assessed solely on the merit of if he is a pedo or not, and nothing else should be brought up in trail in front of jury.

Even if he is not, shouldn't the jury consider if EM was provoked (submarine up your a**)? And finally there must be damages. How was he harmed and how much income did he lose? His character and employment expectations and harm are highly relevant.

BTW I think a victory for EM would be that he has to pay nominal damages 10k or less

Obviously take this with a grain of salt, but this has some interesting tidbits...

"Model S Plaid prototypes back in US. Observer says blue unit has a horizontal display similar to the one seen in the Model 3. Both cars are equipped with interiors. Final production Model S Plaid will be going for a Nurburgring lap record around March 2020."

Twitter

Don't know this guy, but I think he brought an interesting point re: Tesla branding

You can start watching @4:10, before that is a rehash.
This is a really good example of how brand marketers think. It is ironic that Musk dismisses brand marketing when in fact he is exceptional at it and has launched many compelling brands.

From my days in marketing, I was exposed to this idea that a brand is a promise. The thing that makes a brand strong is consistent delivery of that promise.

So we expect Tesla to push technological and cultural limits to bring forward innovative and compelling products. This is how I see Tesla's brand promise. "Delivering the future--today" is a catchy way to express that promise. But the thing that makes Tesla a great brand is not that the tell us they deliver the future, but that they actually do deliver amazing products way ahead of the rest of the industry.

If they actually stopped bringing bold, forward looking products to the market, the brand would suffer. Indeed I think this is why Tesla need to do more than morph the Models S, X, 3 and Y into something resembling a pickup truck. If the Tesla Pickup just looked like the rest of their product line up, we'd start to get the idea the Tesla's brand is about a certain kind of homogeneous style. It's nice, but not so daring at this point. Cybertruck broke down that whole line of expectation. Tesla exists to do more than morph the Model S. It's here to bring us things that are unexpected, bold, and deeply disruptive. So in it's own way, the Cybertruck is fulfilling the Tesla brand promise. It is strengthening the brand in ways that the Model Y cannot.

The next Tesla "innovation" is out: A mobile Supercharging station using a Megapack: Brian Swenson on Twitter

It looks like it has 8 Urban Superchargers, with extra long cables, on it. Just drop the trailer and you can charge up to 100 cars. I wonder if they will have some kind of grid connection to recharge it? (There is what looks like a 120v extension cord trailing off to somewhere, but that really isn't going to do much. Maybe it is a network connection? Most likely a ground connection.)

'Bout time:)
What if Tesla made semi truck PowerPack based super-chargers

So like many here the Cybertruck virus has grown in my head in the days since the reveal. ... I look forward to being one of those redstate early adopters a few years hence—now if I can just find a way to live with this incurable virus…

Anyone remember the plan to destroy the Borg in the ST:TNG episode, I Borg? The Federation developed a paradoxical geometric form to be shown to a Borg and then passed among the collective until they couldn't do anything else but process the geometric image and they shutdown because they couldn't do anything else.

Screenshot_20191127-215124.jpg

I think Elon has discovered this geometric form in the shape of the Cybertruck. Except we process it until we can't do anything else but make a reservation.

Screenshot_20191127-215628.png

Last edited:
I'll add (relative to my edits here - Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019 Investors' Roundtable) that I highly doubt that all of the strength is in the skin. Rather, I imagine that they're doing something like hat stringers or whatnot welded to the skin. In that design, the skin is still an integral part of the strength-absorbing structure rather than just being dead mass. But it's not the only structural mass. Gotta stretch significantly out of plane if you want to get a high moment of inertia.

Indeed, Musk specifically made an airplane analogy. Well, airplanes use stringers in addition to their skin. He also mentioned Starship. Starship, likewise, uses hat stringers.

For sure, there is a lot more to the structure of the Cybertruck than just the skin. It will be like a regular uni-body vehicle except it will take full advantage of the strong body panels instead of just relying on them minimally to add a bit of rigidity to a flexy chassis. This is breaking a lot of new ground but I think Musk and company are up to it as long as they start soon enough and take it seriously.

As to how this will affect cost/margins, I think that's a multi-faceted benefit. The SS material will cost more but it will reduce the number of chassis components and body panels and the time it takes to assemble/align them, reducing the amount of welding and eliminating the paint shop. If the entire structure is SS including the structure behind the exterior panels and the bottom frame (and it's far from clear that it will be) then it also eliminates the anti-corrosion primer bath that the chassis is dunked in. I believe drying ovens/radiant heat panels are normally required following the anti-corrosion dunking so it's possible the total amount of energy and space needed to produce a car is greatly reduced. Energy adds to the cost of each car just like additional parts do. It's all about being able to build cars in a smaller space with less capital investment and cranking out cars at a faster pace with less labor and energy expended. Musk is not trying to incrementally improve traditional car-making, he's reinventing the entire process without compromising the quality and longevity of the product. In fact, increasing those qualities. Making it MORE corrosion-resistant, less susceptible to damage and more rigid for better handling when pushed hard and all at a lower overall cost.

Followup - now watching the International CNBC TV feed - and they again discussed Ford chickening out of the CT vs F150 challenge.

This is fantastic marketing for Tesla, and absolutely horrible marketing for Ford.

It’s going to be even more horrible for Ford when Elon sets up another tug o war that makes the F150 look like even weaker sauce.

Overcome by CT FOMO!
D4A652B9-8F15-4751-89C1-9B164470E9D1.jpeg
I will NOT be left out of the big TMC CT party to be held deep in the desert, at the bottom of the Grand Canyon or astride the Pacific Crest Trail! :)

Bought five more shares on the Friday dip and celebrated today by reserving a CT. I have no idea where I'll be in 2022, but it strikes me that even the option to buy a tri-motor CT with massive range and functional FSD could be immensely valuable. I might even be able to arbitrage it for ten more shares of TSLA in 2022. :p

Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow American TMCers and simply thanks to the rest of our amazing global community. There is much to be thankful for and there is so much more to come for which we will be
grateful!

Doug Demuro did a video review of the Cybertruck where he claimed it was far too expensive for what you get.

Finally someone who knows pickups does a detailed takedown of Doug. Very informative on exactly why Cybertruck is such a great value!

I have no idea who Doug Demuro is. I presume he’s brain damaged in some manner?

Obviously take this with a grain of salt, but this has some interesting tidbits...

"Model S Plaid prototypes back in US. Observer says blue unit has a horizontal display similar to the one seen in the Model 3. Both cars are equipped with interiors. Final production Model S Plaid will be going for a Nurburgring lap record around March 2020."

Twitter

Ugly design, especially the bottom backend.

• Disagree
Reactions: Maitri982 and GOVA
Followup - now watching the International CNBC TV feed - and they again discussed Ford chickening out of the CT vs F150 challenge.

This is fantastic marketing for Tesla, and absolutely horrible marketing for Ford.

Ford will now need to pay CNBC thugs triple the money to get back on their good graces. That means Tripling their current marketing budget.

During holiday weeks, bears usually short with impunity. I am surprised the 330 support is holding the way it has been. I suspect all of this consolidation is setting us up for another climb up ahead of 4Q earnings.

I loaded up more today. Not sure if it’ll go up or down short term but the timing is right for me. There’s way too much good news on the horizon. Q4 will be another record smashing quarter, hopefully with even better efficiencies than Q3, which seems very plausible at this point.

Other benefits: No Hail damage. No shopping cart damage. No Keying damage. No deer/elk/moose damage (ok...maybe lights). No chipped windshields (sure fire you will get chipped windshields every 4-5 years in northern va),

I don't know where this idea that the Cybertruck is practically indestructible came from. If one hits a moose, elk or large deer at 65-75 mph with a Cybertruck, I'm pretty sure it will be totaled. But, yeah, the general toughness in the face of door dings, hail, shopping carts and the like is a *huge* benefit. I think a steel key would probably still be capable of putting a nice scratch in the door but you could probably just buff it out with some rubbing compound.

This is important from an investment perspective because it will make the truck that much more desirable (high demand).