Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear God, these also-rans are doomed.

Tesla Superchargers have a large rounded cutout to house the charging cable when not in use, so the cable is protected and looks nice.

dims

Lincoln screwed up by making their cable too long to fit in their cutout, but at least they had the right idea (Tesla's).

Lincoln-supercharger.jpg

But the Ford charger (apparently Level 2) has a cutout that is completely nonfunctional, the cable is unprotected, and the tangle looks like hell.

img_20191117_200522-e1574050653595.jpg

So the engineering geniuses at Ford and other "real automakers" are gonna catch up to Tesla and surpass them any day now, according to shorts and their analysts. Uh huh.

Just wanted to let you know, I tweeted about your post (gave you a hat tip :) ), and it's gone viral.

Nafnlaus on Twitter

As I speak, 234 retweets and 746 likes, and counting. You can practically watch them count up in realtime. Some not even from Tesla people - for example, I saw one person who makes bikes using it as an example of why he's not afraid of other people copying his designs. ;)

Bill has sounded very noble with his humanitarian efforts and interest in renewable energy and stuff. But when it comes to Tesla, he has been very quiet. In fact I can't remember him ever tweeting about Tesla or even re-tweeting someone else's comments about Tesla. It's as if he wants to ignore they exist.

My guess: Gates is ignoring Tesla because Tesla uses the wrong type of operating system in their cars and factories. ;)

Last edited:
I wonder if he’ll start blocking TSLAQ en masse. Would be nice to be able to read his tweets without pages of random vitriol after each one.
I thought they already blocked him, what happened to that?

In any case I actually think all TSLAQ activity and identities (including twitter handles and everything) should be completely, absolutely ignored at this juncture in Tesla history. In my opinion there is nothing gained by mentioning them (unless say they get sued or something material occurs regarding them).

So for a suggested 200kwh pack and three motors to sell for 70k and make a profit there are no advancements needed? Besides the ‚yearly 5%‘? If we assume a 125 USD per kwh at pack level, we are talking about 25k for the pack alone.

The cost of one 200kWh pack would be considerably less than the cost of two 100kWh packs.

I imagine this doesn't need to be pointed out, but Tesla has always stated that premium connectivity would be an extra, and it's only been goodwill on their part that they haven't done so thusfar.

Except for early Model 3 sales. Our May 2018 LR RWD Model 3 has free premium connectivity for life (or is it for 4 years, I can't remember). My Sept. 2018 P3D- has one year of Premium Connectivity (but it's still working). It does have free Unlimited Lifetime Supercharging which I almost never use unless I'm on a long road trip.

Yes, early Model 3 purchasers paid more but many of them got some nice benefits with that.

Except for early Model 3 sales. Our May 2018 LR RWD Model 3 has free premium connectivity for life (or is it for 4 years, I can't remember). My Sept. 2018 P3D- has one year of Premium Connectivity (but it's still working). It does have free Unlimited Lifetime Supercharging which I almost never use unless I'm on a long road trip.

Yes, early Model 3 purchasers paid more but many of them got some nice benefits with that.
Before July 1st 2018 order are For Life

100$ a year is practically nothing for unlimited data and HD Netflix streaming in a car.

Tesla has been pretty generous to give this for free for this long.

not a bad deal? It’s a great deal

I wouldn’t be surprised if Tesla is still losing money on this at 120 per year but I’m glad they are finally charging for it and providing people with SR+/- a way to pay for it...

Just for clarity, Lincoln is a Ford brand (if Lincoln did it, Ford already did it).

Also, the Ford pic, while perhaps not pretty, does address the charging while towing use case. The suspended midpoint approach is used by some TMC readers with the 24 ft Walk Connector.

Yes and No.

They are separate brands.

If Porsche did it VW hasn't already done. No SEAT.

I was on AP today in a neighborhood that had a planter box in between the lanes such that it adds a sharp slight curve to each lane, with well marked lane lines. I was hoping AP could handle it, but it did not (at least before I chickened out). Just following lane lines like this seems trivial, at least compared to much more difficult scenarios.
From what I gather, AP (non-optimized software on V3) is not even remotely close to the current FSD. Making any predictions based on AP is similar to making predictions on assault weapons based on flintlocks.

I moved my reply here from the Daily Charts thread because I hope some of you with more expertise is specific areas than me will join the discussion.

* GF-3 deliveries impact on Q-1
We need some of our spreadsheet wizards who know the accounting rules to step in and give some perspective on this issue. As a rough idea, though, I'd say that with labor costs very low in China and list price of Model 3s still high in the country, Tesla could produce positive margins, even in Q1. The combination of higher delivery numbers in China next quarter and at least a small contribution towards profits would be viewed very favorably by the market.
One of the most important timing issues relates to the timing consequences of commencing GF-3 deliveries. Conventional wisdom is that any Q4 GF3 deliveries to end consumers will trigger immediate depreciation charges that will have the effect of producing substantial losses. I have read each of the published documents related to GF3 and conclude that there is not adequate disclosure to know fir certain what GAAP treatment might be required. The precise language for GF 3 itself, equipment plus pre-production expenses is crucially important. We simply do not have sufficient data to know with certainty.

Since we now appear to know that GF 3 produced vehicles are now in transit it seems highly likely that the various agreements have been structured to permit GAAP amortization and/or expense recognition on a favorable basis. If that is the case it seems possible that even early production at GF 3 will be GAAP positive.

Objectively the casH flow impact should be more important than GAAP, but at the moment attention is strongly influenced by S&P. Hence, I personally do not think Q 4/deliveries will actually take place unless GAAP profitability and positive cash flow have both been assured.

This is, of course, built on logic, not direct accounting evaluation. We will probably know the facts well before year end financial results are reported.
I think there are a small group of indicators which are:
US car sales-
EU car sales-
China...
TE reports.
If TE reports strong commercial/utility deliveries that will be a large contributor to improved profitability. Solar deliveries alone may well reduce losses. Overall, TE stopping the negative impact will be consequential, if it happens, We have clues, but we also have major conditional sales in solar and substantial lease exposures there. I thing that those factors will combine to have TE neutral rather than past losses.

US sales most likely will have declined, but some evidence suggests that since delivery dates began to lengthen in November they may not need the boost, due to the positive push from the last quarter of Federal tax credits. The model mix will tell this story.

EU will be a big blowout due to Netherlands, Norway and accelerated deliveries for U.K., plus a bit of push from new geographies.

Korea clearly is doing very well already but China will be the most important by far. Apart from GF 3 deliveries there have been more shiploads delivered.

if the ship count and local inventory counts are anywhere near accurate we will see stable finished inventory coupled with decreased work in process, which will have positive cash flow. Much of that assumes that all the efforts to speed up trade in disposition in the US have been effective. The only dependable clues seem to have been suction volume reports, which have been obscured by seasonality.

All this gives grounds for cautious optimism. Still, the clues that used to be reliable are now a bit opaque because Tesla has grown in complexity and diversity making VIN counting and fast-reporting countries not enough to depend on any more.

My personal bet is on record sales with GAAP profitability and positive cash flow. Exact results will have been managed to ensure all three of those happen. It is almost certain to be so because Fremont and GF-1 have been flat-out while even GF-2 has had substantial increase in production.

All of that will be because Q 1 will be GAAP positive too, driven by far higher than expected GM from GF 3.

Lest we forget, there are always deferred income categories from FSD, as well as increased Supercharger income to offset past expenses plus increasing revenues from collision repair and service. Each of those is on the verge of becoming material, just as will offsets of common carrier charges resulting from cessation if cellular firmware updates plus charges for cellular access. Thus far none of those have been consequential. In aggregate, though, they will begin to be so beginning this quarter. Will there be enough disclosure to figure this out? Just as with AAPL, I would not count on transparency, just count on positive effects heretofore unseen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone's usage case and value proposition is different. I’ll never use Netflix in the car

We were riding the State Ferry to get to Thanksgiving with family and the weather was nasty outside. This particular ferry is over-capacity during any holiday and reservations were already filled up by the time we planned our trip. They do allot 10% or 20% for drive-ups but it's first come-first served. So we had to get there early and we had over an hour to kill (along with a bunch of other hopeful ferry riders). The ferry is in a remote area so not much to do besides take a walk in the nasty weather. Netflix to the rescue! We continued watching in our car for the 40 minute ferry ride. This was a good thing because the ferry loader directed us into a very narrow spot (next to a full-sized pickup that had parked over the already narrow lane line) and we couldn't have exited our car if we tried.

We did catch a woman pointing out the movie screen in our car to her husband who looked a little confused/disbelief at what he was seeing. Americans love their TV's. The onslaught has begun!

If nobody is going to be buying the cars they produce, the list order doesn't matter. See recent Jaquar and Audi EV sales figures for what the future holds for the Legacy automakers. Recent WSJ article touched on this:

Car Makers Rushing to Copy Tesla Lack One Thing: Buyers

So the end game is going to be that the legacies finally pour the required money into building battery factories and EVs, only to find that no one wants them, and they have to sell them at a loss. Double whammy, not going to be pretty. I love it.

RT

EUR.jpg

Consumers are buying Etron and IPace.

October 2019: I-PACE Accounts For Over 12% Of Jaguar Sales Globally

Audi may buy EV batteries from BYD amid supply constraints

Don’t count on that Netflix streaming to be indefinite. That is supposed to only be temporary until wifi is at more supercharger locations.

Not when Tesla puts it on their blog as a selling point for premium connectivity. It is here to stay. I frankly want Tesla to charge 12.99 or 14.99 since video streaming was never promised in the first place. I mean other car companies charge way more for LTE and all you get are POI/traffic updates..like who the F cares.

I'm hearing more and more of my friends and acquaintances having put down a deposit for the Cybertruck “just in case.” These are people that have never owned a Tesla who I never would have thought had an interest in Tesla. I'm not sure how many will actually purchase it and my sense is that the commitment is low but then it dawned on me, these people have just paid $100 to be on a marketing email list, will start seeing articles and SM posts related to Tesla, will be engaging in conversations with friends and coworkers, and will become part of the Tesla community one day. The controversial cybertruck and the small refundable deposit now seems like marketing genius.

The Model 3 also had this effect, some us us bought other Teslas along the way because we were impatient, canceled our 3 reservation, and then later bought that model 3...

I wouldn’t be surprised if Tesla is still losing money on this at 120 per year but I’m glad they are finally charging for it and providing people with SR+/- a way to pay for it...

I doubt they are losing money on Premium Connectivity. They buy the connectivity in bulk and dole it out at retail. They know how much it costs and how much people use although there is some estimation required to figure out how much more people who subscribe will use vs. those who don't. I imagine they price it so they cover all their overhead with a bit of extra margin to ensure it doesn't end up costing them.

In any case, any payment received now is additive to the bottom line over the previous status quo.

Just when they are about to *sugar* their pants, the gods of hell provided them with this gem which made them creamed in their pants instead.

Tesla in 'Auto-Pilot' Hits Back of Police Car on I-95 in Norwalk: State Police

Bad drivers cause accidents every day. That is a weak medicine compared to actual China deliverie$ (not to mention all the other recent positives). Anyone who is short TSLA and is "creaming their pants" over this accident has a problem bigger than the inattentive driver who was charged with negligence.