Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just sent an email to Editor-In-Chief of Canadian magazine, Renovation Contractor. Our voices need to be heard.

Dear Mr. Jim Caruk, Editor-In-Chief, Renovation Contractor Canadian Magazine

Kudos to Renovation Contractor Canadian Magazine for your December 2019 / January 2020 Edition article "Charge It - Everything you need to know about installing electric vehicle chargers", by Alex Newman. Glad to see more and more Green articles and an Annual Green Issue to boot and I enjoy reading your bi-monthly Magazine. From what is otherwise an excellently written and informative article, I do have one issue which I feel requires correction in your next issue. Alex states “New EVs can travel about 100 km on one charge, with some going as far as 160 km”.

Personally, I know my fully electric vehicle, Tesla Model 3 Long Range RWD, which I have been driving since June 2018 gets 525 km on one charge. Other EVs currently available have even longer range, such as the Tesla Model S Performance at 560 km on one charge. Heck, even the yet to be released 2020 Porche Taycan Turbo has a range of 323 km. Links to EPA results are provided below.

With information so readily available on Google, why was Alex’s information not checked for accuracy. The article portrays the myth that EVs are only short commuter City range vehicles. Range anxiety is no longer a problem for many EVs. EVs without compromise. Today.

tesla m3 EPA range

Porche Taycan Turbo EPA range

Yours Truly,

And in today's episode of "How Canadians Say 'F*** Off You Ignorant Moron'"... ;)

What do you guys think about Robinhood offering fractional investing? Do you think it will affect TSLA share price? I think a lot of young people who don’t have enough to buy a full share will want a piece of TSLA.

I don't think it will affect the share price much.

And it won't help me since I am a tiny investor living outside the US. For me a stock split would be much more useful. Now when I get ie $200 I cannot invest in TSLA I buy a global index fund since I don't like that much cash just sitting there. But if TSLA split I'd buy that instead.

• Informative
Reactions: Fact Checking
Why Tesla didn't do this earlier is a mystery to me: $39,490 -> $39,990 was a +1.25% profit margin lying on the floor ...

Had to make sure they were confident that they'd fill all their order books for Q1. Better to leave some extra cash on the table than to risk having production capacity for vehicles you can't sell.

And it won't help me since I am a tiny investor living outside the US. For me a stock split would be much more useful. Now when I get ie $200 I cannot invest in TSLA I buy a global index fund since I don't like that much cash just sitting there. But if TSLA split I'd buy that instead.

In investing, cash is a position in your portfolio just like any other. When sugar hits the fan (2008, anyone?), cash is worth its weight in gold to seize opportunities.

Not an advice, just saying I wouldn't lose sleep over having $200 sitting in my trading account without investing it.

I think it would be a good idea if we start prodding Elon on Twitter about a stock split when (not if) SP reaches 500 next year. A lower stock price of around 50 would bring investing in TSLA more within reach of youngsters, which would ring well with Elon. Tesla probably has the (on average) youngest fan base of all car makers. They now have trouble saving enough for 1 or 2 shares. It's much nicer to see that $500 buys you 10 shares.

I think there's a much more mundane explanation to Jim Cramer's change of heart and his newfound support of TSLA: his daughter bought a Model 3 and his wife wants a Model X.

If Cramer is the kind of doting father and husband he appears to be, then he did what any reasonable man in his position would do when a family dispute of this magnitude arises: immediate, unconditional, utter capitulation.
Alternatively he could take Al Bundy's approach: 'Be a man: lie like a dog'

Had to make sure they were confident that they'd fill all their order books for Q1. Better to leave some extra cash on the table than to risk having production capacity for vehicles you can't sell.

So that's the thing, consumer behavior research appears to agree that purchase decisions are based on the first ~two significant digits, with psychological price barriers at round prices such as $40,000.

So there appears to be very little difference between sales at $39,490 and $39,990 - much lower than the +1% gain in SR+ revenue and the +5% increase in SR+ positive cash flow.

For example when buying things I always try to round up such many-nines prices mentally - to $40,000 in this case. (Except when trying to convince my wife, in which case I round down to $39,000.)

This money was, in all likelihood, thrown out the window by Tesla effectively - it had no meaningful impact on demand.

Last edited:
I'm just not seeing the flip side, lots of people initially intending to buy a Model Y deciding to wait longer and pay more for a Cybertruck. If they have flipped Cybertruck is what they always needed. But Model Y sells in a popular market segment worldwide, plenty of people want that kind of car.
Mostly I just interpreted your post differently. Certainly the Y has more worldwide appeal than the Cybertruck. There will be some who would have gone for the Y, but will change to the Cybertruck due to range or cargo capacity. I'm in that category for camping. I camp in the S now but having a 6.5 foot bed that's perfectly flat would be much more comfortable. And, well, range is king.

In investing, cash is a position in your portfolio just like any other. When sugar hits the fan (2008, anyone?), cash is worth its weight in gold to seize opportunities.

Not an advice, just saying I wouldn't lose sleep over having $200 sitting in my trading account without investing it.

Yes, it's misleading to think of cash as an unused asset only earning 1% interest. Instead it has significant "option value" to take immediate advantage of incredible deals during a market crash.

(Doesn't make sitting out a bull market in mostly cash any less pleasant though. :D)

What do you guys think about Robinhood offering fractional investing? Do you think it will affect TSLA share price? I think a lot of young people who don’t have enough to buy a full share will want a piece of TSLA.
I was just talking to a colleague about this. Her 15 year old son has an account and has become an avid trader at his tender age. He's a huge Tesla fan and has accumulated about 10 shares. He also likes Disney.

She also explained that the account is in her name since he is too young to have an account solely in his own name.

So fractional shares at Robinhood is one way Gen Z can trade even as minors.

I thought some might find this interesting:
D7803EE2-FFC3-4DAF-8643-26BC10DCB106.png

Most widely held stocks in self directed accounts (eg retail investors buying individual stocks), by generation

I thought some might find this interesting:View attachment 487832

Most widely held stocks in self directed accounts (eg retail investors buying individual stocks), by generation
Hmmm. So what does it mean if your investing habits are two generations younger than your age?

Porsche CEO Blume just revealed in an interview that he don't understand how a BEV drive train works.

I am kind of in a shock.

Alex on Twitter
Oliver Blume: „Porsche erlebt gerade eine Sonderkonjunktur“

Well, the background of Oliver Blume is in mechanical engineering at TU Braunschweig, which is a 6 semester bachelor's degree 25 years ago with some introductory physics but not particularly strong on advanced topics of electromagnetics and materials science, especially the "Machinenbau" specialization he seems to have taken, right?

So unless he actively sought out EV knowledge, he wouldn't be particularly knowledgable about EVs.

Last edited: