Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can someone explain me valuation of Toyota?

Almost $20B in annual net profit, although declining. This is almost as much as Tesla's total sales!

Toyota Net Income 2006-2019 | TM

$280B in sales. This is 10x Tesla. Actually amazing for Tesla as Toyota sells approx. 30x more cars.

Given they have not taken EV's seriously I think they are in hard fall.

Last edited:
Outside of surprises is really the only thing that would make news soon wouldnt be until end of January when earnings release or am I missing something.

You're missing something. Elon has a Twitter account.
That said, this is the "quiet period" before earnings so that, coupled with his more disciplined Twitter approach, means that market moving tweets are unlikely to happen.

However, there are a lot of things internal to the market and internal to TSLA investors that can cause substantial price movements without hard news of any kind. At the risk of repeating myself, shares of high growth companies cannot be adequately valued using simple formulas for a number of reasons. Thus their valuations are highly subject to human factors that we can broadly call "investor sentiment". For example, a growing realization that Tesla really is the "next big thing" can cause investors to pile on in advance of earnings. And, lacking big news and/or big macro events, that is exactly what I think we will see over the next three weeks before the earnings are released.:)

IMO, the quieter the better.

Average interest rates for new auto loans hit 22-month low in December as car prices soar

The annual percentage rate for newly financed cars averaged 5.4 percent in December, a slight drop compared to 5.5 percent in November. However, last month was noticeably less than last December, where the APR for auto loans stood at 5.9 percent, according to Edmunds.

While interest rates hit a 22-month low in December, the cost of new vehicle prices are hitting near-record highs, with the average transaction price for a new car expected to climb to $38,377 in December, up over $1,000 compared to last year when new car prices averaged $37,260 and nearly $5,000 more than to five years ago, when the average price for a new car was $33,773, according to Edmunds industry insight report.

Interestingly, today ARK Invest did not trim any of its TSLA, which is the top holding in three of its ETFs. When it hits new highs, they usually sell some of it to raise funds to purchase more shares of laggards. Apparently Cathie Wood feels especially confident and wants to let it run. :cool:

upload_2020-1-3_17-23-25.png

upload_2020-1-3_17-29-52.png

I’m silencing the cabin noise discussion before it gets any more out of hand. Take it to the Model 3 thread.

My suggestion for a New Year’s resolution: only discuss investor related subjects.

Perforated glass means less glass needed per car, means lower costs, means increased margins. Therefore, on topic. QED

Wow, so that's what happens after a P/D report when there is not an "engineered" miss? :cool:

Actually seemed a bit surreal when "Mr. Toothbrush" was claiming that Tesla would meet deliveries.

and, as a word of warning for the (somewhat) near future, he has repeatedly warned that Q1 2020 will be "tough". so keep an umbrella handy.
Planned on accumulating more during the post P/D release "dip" that obviously didn't happen. First World problems :)

Interested in what mischief shorty has planned for the new year? No way in the world that big oil and the gang give up their profits.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger