Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Weak performance today ---- from the shorts.

Maybe they do better in the last hour but seriously is this all what they have?

Tuesday may be another Monday run.
Yeah this wasn't the shorts. It was all about MMs wanting to engineer a $50 swing. They did it by spanking the shortzes with margin call / forced buying on Mon/Tue in the pre-market, then using their trading power and access to media / captured analysts to force a drop on Wed/Thu. Today was just mopping up / after-action with low volume. Damage already done, mission accomplished.

Totally forseeable last week given the volume of expiring options today. Of course as always, getting the timing just right to profit is the trick. We saw Uncle Jack demonstrated that masterfully. I wonder when he closed his Puts? I look forward to a 'day-trading wrap-up' in his next video.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Wow. I think I've hit the stalk twice in seven years. And I've never had it actually engage.
All you have to do is hit the stalk up or down and it engages. If I turn the wipers on/off, my hand is literally an inch or so away from it and it doesn't take much to engage cruise control which would be 'unintended acceleration', even though it is a driver error. Since I have done it myself (multiple times in the couple months I've had my car), I can see how others might be doing it as well.

Thought the MM's had this one, but no we head back up again! Maybe $510 became a more attractive close for them??
All you have to do is hit the stalk up or down and it engages. If I turn the wipers on/off, my hand is literally an inch or so away from it and it doesn't take much to engage cruise control which would be 'unintended acceleration', even though it is a driver error. Since I have done it myself (multiple times in the couple months I've had my car), I can see how others might be doing it as well.

You have to have your foot on the brake for it to engage Drive or Reverse.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger

Yes I think I may have done this myself. But I don't see much of a problem here. If you do this then you have the adaptive cruise control on - and it will slow down or stop if there is a car or something in front of your car.

Yeah this wasn't the shorts. It was all about MMs wanting to engineer a $50 swing. They did it by spanking the shortzes with margin call / forced buying on Mon/Tue in the pre-market, then using their trading power and access to media / captured analysts to force a drop on Wed/Thu. Today was just mopping up / after-action with low volume. Damage already done, mission accomplished.

Well someone thank them for the nice price I got buying a few shares.

What a surprise a) Lora Kolonsky, b) short seller...

Federal agency looking into Tesla driver complaints of sudden unintended acceleration

CNBC has learned that an independent investor, Brian Sparks, submitted a petition to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and its Office of Defects Investigations asking them to look into the drivers’ claims.

The petition includes a collection of 127 complaints that were either submitted to the government by Tesla owners, or others filing on their behalf. These complaints, when tallied, allege that unintended acceleration of Tesla electric vehicles may have contributed to or caused 110 crashes and 52 injuries.

Sparks said he conducted primary research and submitted the petition, which CNBC obtained, because he was moved by the personal story of Jennifer Terry. Sparks is currently shorting Tesla stock, but has hedged his bets and been long shares of Tesla in the past.

This price action actually looks bullish to me.

MM's lost $500, shifted to $510 and now we have a great fight to the bell!

Edit: aaaand they lost :D

And what a shame, all those puts on $510, didn't quite make it... 32.57k calls though got $50 each profit :)
upload_2020-1-17_22-26-32.png

Last edited:
Based on options open interest before the opening, Opricot calculates TSLA MaxPain for today's expiration as $460. It is heavily skewed low by the large number of options expiring at strike prices quite low relative to the current share price. A cursory survey suggests that a more reasonable MaxPain target for large option writers could be $510.

Excellent guess - we closed at $510.50! :D

Indeed, which unfortunately gave false gravity to his postings. Even people who should have known better were fooled, which is one of the reasons I find the need to repeatedly point out the truth.
I doubt that anyone could be much more unsophisticated in investing than me. But I loved reading TT007's posts because of his enthusiasm and my perception of him as a nice guy (based on DaveT's interview). But I never traded on anything he said. Because I am an adult and know better than to do things because someone else is doing them. Anyone who trades on what someone else says is responsible to the outcome, not the person they followed.

Based on options open interest before the opening, Opricot calculates TSLA MaxPain for today's expiration as $460. It is heavily skewed low by the large number of options expiring at strike prices quite low relative to the current share price. A cursory survey suggests that a more reasonable MaxPain target for large option writers could be $510. But that can change throughout the rest of the session.

While this is not a Triple Witching quarterly expiration, the size of the open interest has been large due to the contracts having opened over a year ago as LEAPS designed to push potential profits into a later tax year.

So there will likely be much options related activity today that can affect the share price. Many option owners and writers will be trying to close positions before the market closing. Perhaps some large options writers will in position to manipulate the share price toward what they perceive as MaxPain. Keep in mind that the closing of options positions often also involves the closing of share positions that had been hedges.

Quick bursts of high volume share price movement today are far more likely related to options considerations than activity by long-term oriented institutions and funds. These bursts can trigger cascades of stop limits set by weak longs.

A big consideration in all of this is the fact that options have an expiration date while stock shares do not. Thus options traders may feel frenzied today, while strong shareholders can remain calm. :cool:

Opricot Open Interest|Volume|Max Pain

"A cursory survey suggests that a more reasonable MaxPain target for large option writers could be $510. But that can change throughout the rest of the session.

Good call Curt...

Sparks said he conducted primary research and submitted the petition, which CNBC obtained, because he was moved by the personal story of Jennifer Terry. Sparks is currently shorting Tesla stock, but has hedged his bets and been long shares of Tesla in the past.
this is pathetic. what sounds like a conspiracy theory that shorts are behind the NHTSA petition is actually true.

Last edited:
Yeah but it didn’t go down as much as I thought it would. Seems the option writers couldn’t manipulate the stock that much.

According to
Opricot Open Interest|Volume|Max Pain
510$ had almost twice as many puts as calls, so I guess the market makers are better off closing slightly above 510$ than below, or no?

Btw, here in Euro-land we ended just above 460 € which seems like a fine place for the week-end.

Next, I am wondering about the announcement of the ER...