Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wonder how long we have to wait until options expiration actually pulls the price UP instead of down.
Next week, Max Pain is 500 but the whole metric is skewed by the long-since-dead blobs of 10s of 1000s of DOTM Puts in the nether regions (~$10 to $250 Strikes). You have to look at the distribution of PUT/CALLS near the current share price to get a better sense of where things tend to get pushed. Also, MMs will react strongly on Expiration Dates with large numbers of calls (like this week) vs small numbers of calls where their total exposure is less.

Barron's - 15 minutes ago: Tesla Probably Won’t Merge With Volkswagen. But It’s Not a Crazy Idea.

Excerpt

Maybe, if Volkswagen can't beat the electric-vehicle (EV) pioneer at producing and selling clean car technology it should join them instead. Marrying old and new car technology could make sense. A merger between the two automotive giants is a very remote possibility, so what is generating this far-fetched idea?

The Financial Times reported Thursday Volkswagen CEO Herbert Diess is prepared to "slaughter sacred cows" and that the "time of the traditional auto maker was over." What's more, he addressed Tesla's market capitalization, lamenting that Elon Musk's company was valued like a tech company while Volkswagen was valued like a car company.

Last edited:
For years he's made ridiculously inaccurate over the top bullish posts about short term moves in the stock price. Some people thought he actually knew something and lost money because of it.
Oh ok I see. What would be ironic is if it goes even more crazy up after earnings and he’s not in the stock yet has been calling that it would go up all this time.

Reactions: Lessmog
Tesla cars are accelerating without warning, prompting government scrutiny
Tesla cars are accelerating without warning, prompting government scrutiny

The headline is awful as there is nothing that merits an "are" statement of fact.

Worse, the author then promotes his own click bait article on Twitter with a click bait "uh oh"
View attachment 501383

According to his LinkedIn, these schools need to re-evaulate how they are teaching journalism.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/andrew-hawkins-992644a3/
View attachment 501382

Their graduates are just creating click bait articles and making the world a more stupid place.

The worst part is if you need clicks, there are ways to do it and still be honest about it.

Are Tesla cars are accelerating without warning?
Owners questions prompt Government scrutiny.

The answer of course is no, every time no, for not just Tesla cars.

But at least it is intellectually honest.

In the end, every false click bait headline creates a buying TSLA Long buying opportunity.

I find it striking that so many Tesla reporters take apparent glee in the company's misfortune (whether real or manufactured). I don't know if this all relates back to Elon's broader disparaging comments about the press or what, but I find it very off-putting (and, as a supporter of the press's role in democracy, disappointing).

FWIW I switched to mobile reading recently and I noticed I disagreed a lot of posts because sloppy fingers. I figured it out later on.

As a frequent mobile browser, apologies in advance for those posters who occasionally may get schizophrenic notifications from me where I fat-finger the wrong rating multiple times.

They tried for Fremont but CA does not allow export licensing so one must pay CA sales tax if taking delivery at Fremont. Legislation was introduced to change that but did not pass. Too bad, CA would have a decent amount of tourism revenue from all of us who'd take delivery at Fremont and drive home. I did that in Europe several times, including keeping a BMW for a year in France before exporting it.

GF-4 will be able to do that for whoever chooses.
I am surprised that they have not created a big delivery center at GF1 to none Californian buyers combined with a factory visit. It could have cut down on the cost of transportation.

For years he's made ridiculously inaccurate over the top bullish posts about short term moves in the stock price. Some people thought he actually knew something and lost money because of it.

Very early on during my time here, I interpreted a tongue-in-cheek post from a bull with a sense of humor as a serious one and stupidly bought some deep OTM options (only worth several hundred dollars, but still) that I really shouldn't have bought. It was a good lesson that I haven't forgotten.

Folks would do well to be mindful of the fact that there are inexperienced lurkers on this board who give way too much credence to people's opinions / jokes about price movements; and by the same token, those less-experienced readers should really do their own homework before putting real money on the line based on an offhand comment from a complete stranger.

In this headline it states Earnings 1/29 After Close - any validity to that?

Reposting this again since the topic keeps coming up: earnings could be announced as late as next Wednesday without breaking precedent.

2016:
Q1: Announced 4/20 / Held 5/4 (EPS: -2.13)
Q2: Announced 7/19 / Held 8/3 (EPS: -2.09)
Q3: Announced 10/7 / Held 10/26 (EPS: 0.14)
Q4: Announced 2/2 / Held 2/22 (EPS: -0.60)

2017:
Q1: Announced 4/13 / Held 5/3 (EPS: -2.04)
Q2: Announced 7/11 / Held 8/2 (EPS: -2.04)
Q3: Announced 10/19 / Held 11/1 (EPS: -3.70)
Q4: Announced 2/2 / Held 2/7 (EPS: -4.05)

2018:
Q1: Announced 4/19 / Held 5/2 (EPS: -4.19)
Q2: Announced 7/19 / Held 8/1 (EPS: -4.22)
Q3: Announced 10/22 / Held 10/24 (EPS: 1.75)
Q4: Announced 1/18 / Held 1/30 (EPS: 0.78)

2019:
Q1: Announced 4/11 / Held 4/24 (EPS: -4.10)
Q2: Announced 7/11 / Held 7/24 (EPS: -2.31)
Q3: Announced 10/9 / Held 10/23 (EPS: 0.78)
Q4: ???????????????

I think any rational trader will see the writing on the wall.
I see what you did there. :D

great-wall-of-china_o_3280593.jpg

Cheers!

Bizarre that he went 100% cash in the course of one day, with such a long time horizon, with so many potential positive catalysts in front of us. Any swift movement upward (which is easily possible) would give him serious FOMO.

I don't get it.
He said is based on weekly chart. Of course, many here say it works until it doesn't etc.

And lately, Friday is a usually a push down by MMs and Monday it goes the other way...plus we're expecting the ER announcement anytime.

I prob wouldn't sell (calls) and not touching shares, but just curious what can be seen from this TSLA - Tesla Inc.