Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, a week ago I sold a couple of 580 covered calls for this Friday. I'm still new to this, being a Market Maker and all. How do I get the price to stay under 580?

(I know, I'll just buy them back if I have to)
Class action is where it's at these days.
In all seriousness, I'd wait for MM to do their thing on Thursday and Friday to see how much loss you can cut before covering.

Reactions: Cherry Wine
Stand by for....

A4BFA3E3-295F-457A-BB1D-41E47259C6FE.jpeg

Do we need to fill that gap, or are there cases where that does not apply?

Gap needs to be filled eventually. But we are in a short squeeze for now. $700 is the next fib level. If we have real time shares short number, it'd be easier to determine which is stronger. But we don't and it's 2020.

I really like that Musk told his employees last month to ignore the stock price and keep their shares as the company is worth much more (price was at ~$430 at that time). I guess it's easy to get excited about a potential nice profit when you're a line worker so I hope most of them listened to him.

Elon Musk email to employees said:
Ultimately, I think Tesla will be worth considerably more than it is today

I think of the 5 or so people I have spoken with who reserved the cybertruck, not one is a committed buyer. That is not much better than an anecdotal sample but I think it does suggest that trivial, returnable deposits should be discounted very heavily in sales forecasts.

I like to remind people of the GM Volt. Back in the day GM asked the internet for a show of hands if they would like GM to make the Volt. History says (I am skeptical) that due to the very positive response GM brought the car to market. GM predicted up to 200k sales a year in short order, I presume based in part on the internet interest.

As we know, the Volt barely hit 20k sales a year, required large manufacturer discounts to even be a useful compliance car for GM, and was dead after two generations.

So I too take the cybertruck reservations total with a large dose of salt. I'll be delighted to be proven wrong. In fact I think we will buy the smaller version when it comes out because both my wife and I are in love with it.

So there!

Yeah, they won't be committed for now ... until the day they see one outside of the establishment they'll be visiting one day, and noticing the face of their significant other exhibiting pure awe, excitement, desire, and jealousy, and they'll spend the next few mins in said establishment on their phone hitting that "I'm a real order Elon!" button quick!

Reactions: PeterJA
The POTUS comments deserve their own post.
So long as he protects Elon as well as he protected Ergon the inventor of the wheel, I'm happy.

Seriously tho.....it is a HUGE opportunity to build out an East Coast US Gigafactory on very friendly terms. I'm writing emails to the mayor of Philadelphia, the governor of PA, and the Philadelphia Energy Authority as we speak hoping they'll be open to the idea of GF5 on the site of our recently closed(exploded) oil refinery.

Elon needs to jump on this immediately, he's got a 5 month window to make something happen. Trump would support literally anything he wants to do, so long as it's YUGE.

Why does Toyota still have a higher market cap than Tesla?

I'm serious, I know they currently do huge volume and are quite profitable but it makes no sense - they are about to fall on harder times. They may be able to extend their ICE business two or three years longer than most big OEM's due to their initial volume, diverse offerings and perhaps their ability to meet emissions by juggling product mix, but they are still dying in terms of growing cash flows and profits. Are their properties around the world highly valuable for other purposes perhaps? Will they become a real estate company?

Just wondering why anyone would think their money was safe there.
I believe that has to do with the way Zaibatsu are funded.

Totally agree. Tesla produces pure magic in all its vehicles. At the announced price points for the Cybertruck, demand is not even a concern (only figuring out how to meet it).

A few things on the Y front could change sentiment on Cybertruck IMO. For example, I'm waiting to see the Model Y tow capacity. If 3,500 lbs, I might just switch plans for the Y instead of the truck... cash, Feb 10, when I turn 50-1/2, lol.

So Model Y is Osborne Effect-ing me. However, I'm still holding out for the possibility of an underwater CyberTruck. I'm certain we are not hearing the whole story yet. I think it's the other reason why the windows are so strong - they likely add to the cost of manufacturing, so what's the motivation behind thick glass? The panels... I get it, but the glass? Did I miss a purpose there? Do some States have haters that throw steel balls at windows?

• Informative
Reactions: madodel
I think of the 5 or so people I have spoken with who reserved the cybertruck, not one is a committed buyer. That is not much better than an anecdotal sample but I think it does suggest that trivial, returnable deposits should be discounted very heavily in sales forecasts.

I like to remind people of the GM Volt. Back in the day GM asked the internet for a show of hands if they would like GM to make the Volt. History says (I am skeptical) that due to the very positive response GM brought the car to market. GM predicted up to 200k sales a year in short order, I presume based in part on the internet interest.

As we know, the Volt barely hit 20k sales a year, required large manufacturer discounts to even be a useful compliance car for GM, and was dead after two generations.

So I too take the cybertruck reservations total with a large dose of salt. I'll be delighted to be proven wrong. In fact I think we will buy the smaller version when it comes out because both my wife and I are in love with it.

So there!

I know of a few people who have reserved the truck for actual purchase. One of which in person, and he and I had a lively discussion about it.

Not saying a lot of reservations will drop off, but the model 3 had hundreds of thousands reservations, and they had tens of thousands drop off, but they still are sold out to this day of the model 3, and used cars are facing a premium on the used market--but still selling!

Chevy did make the volt, but the volt was... eh. It was a hybrid, with poor electrical range. it was also expensive for what it was, base price of $40k.

Tesla however has thus far delivered on their production promises. The Model 3 may be slightly difficult to get the true base price, but you were able to get the 35k model.