Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Loving today's Autoline News. John McElroy's show is not bought and paid for by the rich & powerful, so he can say whatever he wants, and he has been coming around to Tesla over the last year.

Ford's Hackett: "A primary reason for that shortfall was our operational execution. It was simply not good enough."
Uh oh - is Hackett throwing Joe Hinrichs under the bus? After all, Hinrichs is in charge of operations. And there's no question that the botched launch of the all-new Ford Explorer really hurt Ford earnings. Think about it a minute: nobody at Ford should ever again criticize Tesla for its manufacturing problems. No more snide remarks about Tesla's Manufacturing Hell. For a company that's been building vehicles for over a hundred years, the Ford Explorer launch was inexcusable.

Last night I told my wife that - if we have another day like the past two days - I was thinking of selling just to cash in. My wife was a littl hesitant.
Later we saw the whole Ron Barron interview - what a nice down-to-earth grandad is that! My wife said the he never sells, why should we? So ok, we continue too hold. Today was a bad day to sell anyway with stock going down so fast.

Watching the Kramer episode today, from your story it sounds like the alleged (according to Kramer) short plot to use Ron Baron to drive sentiment sky-high to raise stop-loss limits played out exactly as they wanted.

• Informative
Reactions: imherkimer
Careful with that thing. You are guaranteed an audit if asset in TFSA surpasses 500k.

And what CRA considers speculative behaviour is often very broad.

Interesting. I was wondering about that. Talking to the RBC Direct Investing where I have mine, the guy said that shouldn't be the case.

Of course I've seen other advice that if you get audited, CRA have no published rules but can decide to tax you at their discretion.

Question is, if options are allowed, how can they not be speculative? Seems like a trap if on the one hand they allow options, and then penalize you for being speculative.

Well played.

I thought you were out for good, based on your financial adviser's suggestions; glad you're back in.

Never really left. Years ago I tried guessing the market, when it was in the 200s and promptly lost 7 shares' worth, Never again, I vowed. This was the second time I've tried it with considerably more experience with the stock. Thanks to many of you, but particularly Papafox, there is a kind of rhythm to the price. IMHO but strengthened by other heavies like FC and jbcarioca and others, we should expect surprises upward periodically as we move on the disruptive curve. When you get 11-20% rises x days in a row, that's a time to sell. Watch for the reverse which is a time to buy. Not Warren Buffet 101, just Warren Buffet 1 or my illiterate mother-in-laws skill at buying rice from the mill and selling meal sized rations to her neighbors. (She recently bought 50,000 baht of rice from the mill—about $1,667—to store in the annex we built to my wife's house.)

Not an advice.

I know, right? On paper I'm down something like $300-$350k since yesterday's peak and my reaction is just... "meh" ;) Deleverage on the way up, leverage on the way down. It's not like I wasn't taking profit out as shares and a bit of diversification during that high period - I took out something like $120-140k or so yesterday via rolling spreads. :) It's just been crazy during the rise... I'd roll, and the new spreads would regain the value I took out in just a couple days.
The only question I have is why that Taiga is not yet growing on your land, planted with mature trees?

• Funny
Reactions: KarenRei
Some update to the corona virus.

If you guys want search for up to date information that's unfiltered. Use duckduckgo or yahoo.

Google is actively working with WHO to filter search results and limit them to WHO approved sources to prevent panic. But as investors, we need to be able to see both extremes to be able to make the correct judgement.

Interesting. I was wondering about that. Talking to the RBC Direct Investing where I have mine, the guy said that shouldn't be the case.

Of course I've seen other advice that if you get audited, CRA have no published rules but can decide to tax you at their discretion.

Question is, if options are allowed, how can they not be speculative? Seems like a trap if on the one hand they allow options, and then penalize you for being speculative.

There are a few cases pending in trial awaiting judgement.

But the interpretation that they use to snag ppl has been the clause "engage in speculation"

One case is a guy who got into marijuana stock really early. I presume options will make your case even weaker. But the overall consensus of all these ppl in trial has been the fact that they are all above 500k. The CRA syatem probably raises a flag when it does.

• Informative
Reactions: Ameliorate
I’ve long wondered about the role of those in decision making positions at giant utilities has had and will have on the switch to renewable/battery.

To what extent the personal likes/dislikes, comfort with what they’ve known for decades, and decades of relationships with those who supply the fossil fuel infrastructure to utilities impacts openness to what Tesla’s got to offer. I would not be at all surprised if a more reliable and economically efficient energy source often takes a back seat to those personal preferences above.

Jack, that’s all speculation on my part, so, I’m wondering if you have some first hand insight on this possibility to contribute here.

Steve, I drive a Tesla and openly advocate renewable energy and sustainable transportation. At work some would describe me as a heretic while others support me. Just as Tesla is a partisan subject in the general public so it is amongst utility employees, supervision, and management. I draw a great deal of attention to myself, because I speak out. I suppose that’s on me.

My view is that many utility employees consider solar power a minor annoyance and perceive little threat. I often hear stories of how expensive solar is and how solar companies are cheating customers; how solar leases are impractical and make homes unmarketable. Today, a supervisor explained to me in detail how EVs were powered from coal fired generation and far worse for the environment than internal combustion engines. It is difficult, if not impossible for me to hide my disdain. My hope is that I can someday better advocate renewable energy without angering those with different viewpoints.

In a nutshell, utilities are monopolies embedded into the Earth, literally and figuratively. Their culture of entitlement, nepotism, and cronyism has been entrenched for decades. All of their strengths are the weaknesses that will empower their disruption.

Last edited:
Really? Trading TSLA is against the rules of the TFSA?

Don't ask me. You need to have a tax Lawyer reason with CRA once they do audit you. No judgement has been made on these suits so there is no answer to your question.

I am just informing canadians of the heavy handed approach of CRA currently.