Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMO Cybertruck needs a new factory, probably on the East side of the US which will also make it's own batteries...

TWh scale is likely to be from multiple factories...

Giga Nevada was supposed to do up to 150GWh of packs, so with further space improvements from DBE and other factors, maybe they could get close? Maybe not quite a TWh, but like 500GWh or something on along those lines?

Also, could it be that Battery & Powertrain Investor Day was postponed (partly) because they were waiting for further progress on their battery production facility?

An argument could also be made for starting fresh with a new efficient design like they've done with Giga 3? And then use the Nevada facility for other purposes such as Semi and Cybertruck.

Reactions: rsm287 and JusRelax
This is a great video
in the comments :
can confirm.JPG
I can definitely confirm what he said re - puts, some of mine hardly moved the first 150 down.
I'm just wondering if there's any way to infer a direction the MM's will be pushing after this sharp spike down.

Easier in hindsight, pretty darn tough in real-time. You'll be wrong more often than right, and cortisol levels will be through the roof, lol. Certainly not for me, when buy and hodl is so darn easy.

This would require
1. Not doing anything unless you have high confidence in your read of the situation
2. Accurate read of the situation
3. Manipulation being successful

So yes, it's a tall order but I still think might be possible here and there.

Giga Nevada was supposed to do up to 150GWh of packs, so with further space improvements from DBE and other factors, maybe they could get close? Maybe not quite a TWh, but like 500GWh or something on along those lines?

Also, could it be that Battery & Powertrain Investor Day was postponed (partly) because they were waiting for further progress on their battery production facility?

An argument could also be made for starting fresh with a new efficient design like they've done with Giga 3? And then use the Nevada facility for other purposes such as Semi and Cybertruck.

I'm expecting Giga Nevada might expand cell production for Model 3, Model Y, Semi and energy storage.... I also think the Semi may be produced there...

With DBE they may no longer need he same size of factory as no drying overs, and less space is needed and depending on logistics may favour multiple smaller factories....

I think also the timing of the Investor Day is timed to feature an actual demonstration, if it was a PowerPoint they could do it anytime.

Steve, I drive a Tesla and openly advocate renewable energy and sustainable transportation. At work some would describe me as a heretic while others support me. Just as Tesla is a partisan subject in the general public so it is amongst utility employees, supervision, and management. I draw a great of attention to myself, because I speak out. I suppose that’s on me.

My view is that many utility employees consider solar power a minor annoyance and perceive little threat. I often hear stories of how expensive solar is and how solar companies are cheating customers; how solar leases are impractical and make homes unmarketable. Today, a supervisor explained to me in detail how EVs were powered from coal fired generation and far worse for the environment than internal combustion engines. It is difficult, if not impossible for me to hide my disdain. My hope is that I can someday better advocate renewable energy without angering those with different viewpoints.

In a nutshell, utilities are monopolies embedded into the Earth, literally and figuratively. Their culture of entitlement, nepotism, and cronyism has been entrenched for decades. All of their strengths are the weaknesses that will empower their disruption.

You’ve nailed it.

Careful with that thing. You are guaranteed an audit if asset in TFSA surpasses 500k.

And what CRA considers speculative behaviour is often very broad.

I think the Canadian federal TFSA is maxed at a cumulative total of $53,000 this year if my calculation is right. Anything over and you'll get taxed regardless, and of course it's strictly registered.

RRSPs have a maximum of $26,500 per year deductible. It's been around longer, and is proportional to your employment income. You could have "lots" in an RRSP.

Not tax advice!

• Informative
Reactions: 2virgule5
I think the Canadian federal TFSA is maxed at a cumulative total of $53,000 this year if my calculation is right. Anything over and you'll get taxed regardless, and of course it's strictly registered.

RRSPs have a maximum of $26,500 per year deductible. It's been around longer, and is proportional to your employment income. You could have "lots" in an RRSP.

Not tax advice!
I’m pretty sure that is your contribution max. The point of the TFSA is you don’t get taxed on your gains.
If this was true I would of been taxed long ago.

Not tax advice!

$69,500 is the cumulative max you can contribute. That assumes you were 19 or older when the program started in 2009.

The issue/concern is for those of us who have turned that $69,500 into amounts $500k (as referenced by another post). I suspect many Canadian Tesla investors who leverage options in their TFSA (best place to do it, keep the buy and hold shares for the normal trading account) will have millions over the coming year(s). All tax free. The question is whether the Canadian Revenue Agency will audit those transactions or deem them to be taxable??? i haven't read anything about this anywhere.

Reactions: jkirkwood001
I'd love it if Tesla bought Rivian. Their design is awesome, if only it had tesla plugs and could use superchargers.

If you like 1960s and 1970s cars. There was a point in my life that I thought an early 1970s Ford Bronco looked good. But it's not the 1970s anymore.

It's a moot point because Tesla will NEVER buy Rivian.

IMO Cybertruck needs a new factory, probably on the East side of the US which will also make it's own batteries...

TWh scale is likely to be from multiple factories...
Why east coast? They're not going to get exported anywhere. Build them close to the market.

WTH this Grace Tao Lin(Tesla China VP for External Affairs) was hinting GF3 might stay closed until Q2 or Q3 yesterday
Tesla China pushes back MIC Model 3 deliveries amid coronavirus outbreak

And today it will open again on Feb 10 as Zach said in the call?

Do opinions on this really need to change that often?
No, she was responding to a question

Q: Will this outbreak will affect the delivery schedule it? The car was expected to be lifted in the second quarter of the year. I don't know if it will be delayed to the third quarter

A: At present it seems that delivery will be postponed in early February after the Spring Festival, and we will try our best to postpone it until the epidemic situation improves. Develop various plans.

I’ve worked as a solar inspector/electrical inspector for years. I’ve been employed in the electrical utility industry building and serving power generation, transmission, and distribution facilities for decades. I only mention this to emphasize my blue collar, nuts and bolts, boots on the ground view of the industry.

The bureaucracy that has metastasized the utility industry will be overwhelmed by the convergence of battery cost reductions married to solar power. This combination will capture large swaths of utility cash flows.

The utility industry is oblivious to the threat—incapable and unwilling to adapt—and despised by their customer base.

In the coming months I will retire from one the largest electrical utility in the world; my retirement hedged by ownership in Tesla.

Yes! I've had this idea for a few years, their billions or maybe trillions of investments will get degraded step by step by solar and battery power at home. They won't be able to monetize it. It will take a long time, like 10 years, seriously dent them.

Next question is how to profit from this. I read some giant hedge fund figured out how to short long term the us power industry. That's an investment I'd like make.. Separately from hoping this doesn't hurt your retirement, thanks for the great article.

Really I mean closer to the main markets, I thought these are more on the East Side of the US than the West.. But Texas is more central than East ... so I guess I failed US geography...

Actually, you’re not far wrong when you look at a properly drawn map of Texas.

8925C032-5F47-4E70-B8D0-682B7E0075E5.jpeg