Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I sold about 10% at ~$820 and will buy back. My sales are about 50% of the value of my shares when we bottomed last year at 180. This is a tax free account so I can make small FOMO trades.
I stopped trading 4 or 5 years ago and just add since then, but I felt strongly we would retrace some.
I’m not going to worry about optimizing my buy back, but this helps me not worry if it shoots past 1000 today, or if it hits 500 and let’s me get some extra shares courtesy of high frequency traders and shorts.
I don’t intend to sell anything long term for at least 4 more years. I’ve generally goofed up short term trades in the past, so small trades hopefully keep me from making any significant mistakes.
Instant jinx! I post and it goes up 50.

A very rational hedge fund guy on Bloomberg talking TSLA right now. Refreshing.

Said they got caught short and had to cover, blasting the stock up. Tech is bubbling a bit, but it's in need of a repricing not a burst.

I wish they'd ask him his thoughts on short interest likely being higher right now than Monday morning. No one seems to was to admit I institutional investors are shifting away from fossils and landed on TSLA.

In the short run, the price of Tesla is just a battle of public opinion. Bulls and bears Duke it out on a daily basis to shift public opinion one way or the other. A meme from political theory may be helpful here. Consider the Overton Window.

Overton_Window_diagram.svg

Overton window - Wikipedia
There are a range of acceptable values for Tesla. These are the prices that we see trading on ordinary days. But then there are days like Monday and Tuesday that go much higher that what was once thought possible. It may be anticlimactic for the price to immediately retreat from $969 to the low $700s, but the real upside here is that the Overton Window for Tesla has shifted, dramatically so. It is now quite thinkable that Tesla could trade in the $900s and be worth over $1000 within the next year. Meanwhile $700 seems like a fairly reasonable value, and waiting for $500 to buy looks improbable. Just a few weeks ago people were wondering if $500 was way too much to pay for the stock. So the shift is quite abrupt.

Longterm the Overton Window must shift upwards as Tesla makes real progress building a valuable franchise. The strategy of TSLAQ was to push the unthinkable view that Tesla was destined for bankruptcy. It's is not that bears need that actually to be true. They were simply trying to shift the Overton Window downward. They were trying to make the unthinkable an acceptable publically held belief. This is logic behind barking such incredulous nonsense. It is brutally obtuse attempt to shift the Overton Window. To counter this, Tesla does well to generate free cash and hold lots of cash. A cash defensive posture holds up the bottom end of the Overton Window.

So right now my view of the Overton for Tesla is $670 to $970. Everyday we stay above $700 will help to solidify the base of this window. Bulls that want to accumulate for longterm gain do well to accumulate in range of $700 to $750. Waiting for the price to drop below $700 risks allowing the base of the Overton Window to deteriorate.

Now in full disclosure, I already have more shares than my wife would like us to hold. So I am personally beyond the accumulation phase of a longterm investment strategy. I might be inclined to accumulate more opoortunistically below $670, but I really do not want to see the price drop that low. My comments in the previous paragraph are for those who still want to build up a large position.

If ARK is right about $7000 to $15,000 in 2024, then quibbling about buying at $670 or $750 really misses the point. Now is the time to accumulate, if you are not already satisfied with your hoard of shares.

What has everyone on this forum advised about trying to time the market, and about "selling on the way down"? :Þ

You can still get your shares back. It's your call. :)
Everyone? Are you saying someone who sold at $950 wasn't able to time the market?

We need to relax on this "buy now, buy tomorrow, buy @ $1200" nonsense. We get it, you like Tesla.