Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw a “article” on my Apple stock app, and I’ve no idea what it’s supposed to be about. Tried googling, but didn’t see anything related.

edit: also, don’t want to give FUD a click.

69CFA5DE-21DB-4878-B4FE-BAE9E814229D.jpeg

MODERATOR:

And as a stupefying number of subsequent posts demonstrate, this thread's participants en masse once again demonstrate a staggering inability to keep from postingrepostingreposting all the arguments, discussion vapid and otherwise, and OhIwannagetintothisdonnybrooktoo that have properly been created in its very own thread which already has 328 posts this month alone...somewhere on TMC. Don't you people ever read anything not in the Investor Forum?

As much of this used chewing gum as I have been able to discover has been scraped off and deposited either in the thread it belongs, or into some other trash bin. Any that show up after this has happened will be yanked without notice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Based on FactChecking's great tip the other day of the site that collects all reports of new 2019-nCoV cases, I wrote a script to automatically generate CSVs that are easy to make graphs from, so I can do it regularly. Here's the first output. Overall, the situation is looking good, as it stands.

View attachment 508866

View attachment 508867

View attachment 508868

View attachment 508869

It looks like the buildup - and now, a (hopefully sustained) decline - was due to the incubation period before the government stepped in to try to keep people at home.
Since the slope up and, now, decline, is closely resembling other infectious disease propagation patterns I think it is quite reasonable to expect that the 10th February resumption of economic activity will happen. That said, the extreme diligence required to keep the downward trend depends on masks/fever monitoring and obsessive attention to cleanliness and sanitation, not traditional strong points in Chinese working class surroundings. Now there still is great risk in West Africa, Vietnam, Philippines as well as other areas. If the weather warms in primary risk areas the CoV propagation should diminish rapidly anyway, just as flu-like diseases almost always do. (I had an early career as an epidemiologist so I fancy myself well equipped to understand this. It was a long, long time ago so I may well be deluded).

I think the GF-3 and suppliers will be functioning fairly well next week. I also think the supply chains of almost everything have been so disrupted that the full ramifications will continue to appear for the next six months, possibly longer. My personal view is that the Tesla Q1 results will still be decent, but the effects will probably cut GM for the quarter, maybe even GAAP profits. The large mitigants are the number of positive events happening now, from FCA to Model Y with TE included.

Until sometime late February I don't think we will know enough to even speculate responsibly. The global effects are already so large (even in Brazil TV, refrigerator and cellular phone factories are cutting products due to parts shortages while the exports of soya, beef, etc have been halted because they cannot ship to China. Looking at the worldwide supply chain impacts for almost everything, the consequences might range from fairly trivial to nearly catastrophic. If indeed the world is back in business by 15th February or so we all might have "dodged the bullets".

This is a recurrent lesson about the downsides of global interdependency and the necessity to make dramatic advances in worldwide sanitation, including water and air purity. These things happen at their worst when the air and water are polluted and municipal/personal sanitation practices are deficient. Every single epidemic shares the lack of attention to those factors. Tesla is already ahead of those curves, to the extent an individual company can do so.

Today I am going to try to do some day trading.

Assuming MMs want 750 (or 730), they need to push SP down more than that in anticipation of late Friday buying. So once SP goes a bit below 750 I will open some positions. If it goes below 730 I will double that. Let's see how it goes.

Of course: 1) just little play money, 2) never got day trading right once...

In this particular case, a long chase for a Westport CT police cruiser is four miles on the Boston Post Rd.
They will have to come up with some other nonsense.
Well, there's always hot pursuit, in which case they might go as far as the iniquitous parts of Bridgeport, then it would probably be late at night on I-95. Imagine that!

Cold weather performance is one of the weak area's for EV's....so of course Tesla is working on improving it.

Gotta love this company!

I think you mean cold weather range - Tesla's have so much natural performance that any small hit to performance in extreme cold is insignificant. I've found the cold weather range hit to be relatively minor for long-distance travel. While the cold weather range hit is considerable in short trip situations, those scenarios tend to not involve big miles anyway so the range hit tends to not matter (because there is so much more range than most people need in a day).

But yes, I love the continual improvements and optimizations Tesla does!

Reactions: bpjod and Queeg500
Today I am going to try to do some day trading.

Assuming MMs want 750 (or 730), they need to push SP down more than that in anticipation of late Friday buying. So once SP goes a bit below 750 I will open some positions. If it goes below 730 I will double that. Let's see how it goes.

Of course: 1) just little play money, 2) never got day trading right once...
And there's the push down right on cue! Was waiting to see if there was a dip to see if I could pick up some more stock :)

That’s not quite true. FSD had been paid for by the original buyer of the car. That owner sold it back to Tesla, who then sold it to an auction house. New owner bought it at the auction house, still with FSD. Tesla then figured out they forgot to reset FSD to not being purchased on that car(they typically do that for some reason), and disabled it remotely.

Unless someone can elucidate this for me, it sounds like the reason is Tesla chooses to double-dip. If I understand this correctly, when a customer purchases FSD and then later chooses to sell the car back to Tesla, they (the customer) don't get to keep the software package and use it on a new Tesla vehicle, and Tesla can charge for FSD again when they re-sell the same (used) car. Am I missing something?

• Helpful
Reactions: Lessmog
Here's the problem. Say a vehicle was delivered with upgraded rims or something which was never paid for. Vehicle was sold to a dealer, who then sold it to a customer. Customer now owns it. Can the vehicle manufacturer now show up to your house and remove your rims? I would say no.

There are many responses to that, some of which can be found in the 16 page thread discussing this issue linked below. Doesn't make much sense to duplicate the discussion here, especially since it has little or nothing to do with $TSLA as an investment.

Tesla YANKED FSD option without notice - Class Action lawsuit? Any Lawyers here?

Great news. There is an increase in local transmission in other countries over the last few days - hopefully slowing the export of Chinese cases will happen before local transmission reaches critical mass so as to be self-sustaining.
Actually viral transmission does not need 'critical mass' to spread. Obviously as it spreads each carrier infects more people so the numbers rise. The nature of transmission affects the rate of propagation. This topic is very easy to get completely OT. From our perspective the Tesla impact will rapidly lessen as the genetic mapping advances, new anti-viral treatments are developed (now it's mostly immune system enhancement) and weather helps slow the propagation rates.