Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious, what’s ur number? Range only cuz to me “island invasion” number exceeds like 20mil. Reading the book “The Number” and its really a good thought primer and makes ya think about things like: once I invade the island...

now what?

BTW My myopic view:
No debt, comfortable, 1 home (modest) kids outta college, retire 60: $4mil
No debt, comfortable, 2 homes (again modest) same as above: 6mil
Island invasion: 15mil as an entry level invasion. (Ask politely to visit then.... whaaamo!)

Fire Away!:)
(It’s the batteries, Stupid!)
I was born on an island ( San Miguel, Azores) and now live in Rhode Island. Islands are overrated :confused:

Daimler is in deep trouble:

Bernstein says Tesla won’t be bought: ‘We struggle to see it being sold as a going concern’
"What assets are attractive? Tesla no longer has genuinely differentiated tech. The production plant is sub-par. The Gigafactory is probably not essential," Max Warburton at Bernstein writes.

and

Max Warburton to join Daimler AG as Advisor to the Management Board and Head of Special Projects | Daimler
Ola Källenius, Chairman of the Board of Management of Daimler AG and Head of Mercedes-Benz Cars:
“Max has a wealth of automotive expertise. As well as his strategic and financial perspectives he brings an unusually deep understanding of the operational, regulatory and technological complexities that we are facing”
Yes an analyst that gets a -4.5% return over the last year, with the S&P up sharply will be a great addition to Daimler. Tip Rank - Ranked #4,738 out of 5,980 (Higher numbers are not good). What are they drinking?

So Twitter is going after accounts tweeting on behalf of a politician for violating their “rules”:

“Twitter said the accounts violated its platform manipulation and spam policy, which prohibits coordination among accounts to amplify or disrupt conversation.

This can refer to creating several accounts to post duplicative content but also includes “coordinating with or compensating others to engage in artificial engagement or amplification, even if the people involved use only one account”.

:mad: Gee, does that not sound like a familiar “strategy”? They’re almost as good as the SEC!:cool:

Fire Away!
(It’s the batteries, Stupid!)

ERaCbe5U8AA9iHq

Third Row Podcast on Twitter
This is the trunk of the Model Y

You are so lucky, it is ridiculous. Sell you options and whatever stock you need to, in order to erase margin. If my math is correct, you'll have $800K+ in stock, only. What, do you think you're going to go from under $5K in equity to $5M? $10M? Sit on the stock, buy more when you can. If TSLA becomes a $1T company (and I believe it will), you'll have $5M+. IMO, it's you're only chance to build wealth. Good Luck.

I agree. I went through tremendous amount of personal stress. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Being on maxed margin like that is rather foolish and super risky. Logic says I should've wiped out many times. 50% loss is 100% loss on max margin and like I said I was down to like $5k at the worst point. I'm still amazed that I survived that 2019 Q1 and the period after. So I got real lucky. You don't know how many times I just wanted to sell everything and just walk away. The mental games your mind goes through when you're holding such concentrated position and full margin is insane and regular people have no idea the pain and anguish it can cause. Even small daily movements can scare you. All I can say is the MMs are very good at what they do. So when you sold your position during the crazy drop after $968, I could relate. That's why I wrote I somewhat understood what you were feeling and went through. We all went through hell and back to get to where we are today. So I take nothing for granted and appreciate everyone on this board for their contributions and educating me every day. I haven't told anyone in my life other than my family about my Tesla position. And that's not going to change, and I plan on keeping it a secret.

I have about $270k still on margin so not all 1,300 shares and 2 ITM calls are fully mine. And I have small number of Virgin Galactic (SPCE) shares and small number of 2/29 $1,200 lottery ticket calls in this account as well. So that's why it's showing less than 1,280 million. I'm just happy to have kept it above $1 mil the past couple of days so I could keep my promise to my wife. I know she was disappointed being Tesla millionaire for only half a day last time even though she won't admit it. My goal is to eventually eliminate the $270k of margin debt and keep 1,500 shares margin free. I would love to get to 2,000 shares margin free but that will take lot of risk or luck. And at this point I want to be little more conservative with my plays. My original goal was 1,000 margin free shares.
I think what you did was awesome and my account-value-graph looks just like yours. Although I started with about 10k not 100k

Gratz. I respect that sugar

You are so lucky, it is ridiculous. Sell you options and whatever stock you need to, in order to erase margin. If my math is correct, you'll have $800K+ in stock, only. What, do you think you're going to go from under $5K in equity to $5M? $10M? Sit on the stock, buy more when you can. If TSLA becomes a $1T company (and I believe it will), you'll have $5M+. IMO, it's you're only chance to build wealth. Good Luck.
If I sold 300 shares today, I could eliminate 100% of the margin debt. That would leave me with 1,000 shares and 2 DITM calls. And SPCE shares. All margin free. But like I said, I'm ok with $270k margin debt at the moment. I will eventually get rid of the margin debt. But as Tesla shares continue to climb, the margin debt continues to become smaller percentage of my overall portfolio. If I wait until $1,350 to eliminate the margin debt, then it will only cost me 200 shares vs 300 shares today. I have pretty high risk tolerance so I'm willing to gamble and wait for higher prices before I eliminate my margin debt. I also have other assets like my gold and silver I could sell today to wipe out my margin debt but I chose not to. And my house is paid off and I have no other debt.

Yeah the thing is island invasions can get costy....but the idea of a contrived invite followed by a quick planting of my flag would release some financial pressure....hmmm.

The funny thing is, it is a when not if senerio for the SP to go ballistic.
What we have seen so far is just like the flying water tower. Wait till we reach escape velocity...then I could plan a full on invasion no problem.

So it's all about timing.
I gather there are some recently displaced German ants. You could probably get them for cheap.

Maybe they are Army ants? If so, you’ve got a purrfect invasion force right there!

Not sure where you would store them though and I’d guess they’re pretty PO’d at the mo’. :p

Curios how many share and at what price would you need TSLA to be at to retire?

I know every situation is different but for me I think a share price around 1,387.42 would work.
I have enough shares that at that price I could sell them all..(never would)... and pay the tax man and still have enough to invade certain island's and such.

If I sold everything @ $1,000, I'd be able to retire and live fairly comfortably.

If I sold everything @ $2,000, I'd be able to retire in a way in which I'd never be constrained by money. The only thing I could even imagine spending more money on in my personal life at that point is a bigger house. I have zero interest in jets, yachts, flying 1st class, etc.

However, everyone needs to ask themselves the question why they want to retire. Retirement is basically just freedom in how you spend your time, but with all that newly acquired free time the question becomes: what are you going to spend your time doing now that you're no longer constrained by money?

If your answer to that question is sit around, chill, and sip on Teslaquila at your private island, then that's all good. But I'm only 30 years old, and I know I'd be bored, unhappy, unfulfilled, and disappointed in myself, if I didn't do anything else with my life than make money investing in TSLA.

Money will probably be useful in some of the other things I want to do, so I'm not planning on selling any time soon. I think TSLA is going to at least $10,000 in the next 10-15 years, and although I'll likely take smaller and smaller risks with options in the future, I still plan to continue to increase my share count through long term call options whenever I see good opportunities to do so.

I don't want to needlessly sell mainly because of taxes....

Something to investigate - talk to IB is what I would do (or any other broke you're interested in) - brokers have an account transfer type of function. I've used it to move positions when I shifted over to Fidelity. The account transfer might just pick up your current account with all of it's positions as is (including the margin debt - this is mostly why you'll need to talk to IB first). No need to convert the positions to cash, and then back to the positions you want.

You might be able to fill out the paperwork for an account transfer, and shift the account from wherever it is to IB (including changing your margin interest payments over to IB's schedule). No taxable events, no conversion into cash and then later back. Just change brokers.

That is advice to talk to IB - I'm not a broker or in the finance industry; I've used an account transfer and it was as easy sounding as I've made it, but I didn't have a margin loan I needed to figure out. I did have stock positions that I didn't convert to cash, and then convert back into stock positions afterwards.

(And I was moving over to Fidelity, but it sure sounded like a standardized industry function - not something special Fidelity did).

Max Warburton to join Daimler AG as Advisor to the Management Board and Head of Special Projects | Daimler
Ola Källenius, Chairman of the Board of Management of Daimler AG and Head of Mercedes-Benz Cars:
“Max has a wealth of automotive expertise. As well as his strategic and financial perspectives he brings an unusually deep understanding of the operational, regulatory and technological complexities that we are facing”

You left out this nugget: "Max has been the most consistently highly rated automotive analyst in Europe."

So he's only 75% wrong whereas his peers are 90%?

Bernstein says Tesla won’t be bought: ‘We struggle to see it being sold as a going concern’
"What assets are attractive? Tesla no longer has genuinely differentiated tech. The production plant is sub-par. The Gigafactory is probably not essential," Max Warburton at Bernstein writes.

and

like a match made in heaven

OT

was wondering your thoughts on MS/etrade, it’s impact, what, if any, brokers you prefer over others.

barrons has rated IB and fidelity amongst the top year after year for about a decade. to me that seems accurate over td, chuck, etrade, etc. at least for my needs. robinhood to me isn’t even in conversation
( i use IB btw)

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: Dare and UncaNed