Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Austin has a great night life. Lots of people go there for bachelor and bachelorette parties. I visit last year and had a blast. They have lots of bars and clubs on this cool historical street that they close off to cars for the night. Every weekend it’s packed with people partying. Especially after a Long Horn game. The food is amazing especially if you get the southern bbq. San Antonio is only about an hour away and it’s a very historical city with a cook river walk. I’m pretty sure Austin is Elon’s type of city.
The legendary "6th Street".

Exactly
Exactly, exactly
Exactly, exactly, exactly

:)
Lol, a lot of folks here think that Tesla will turn the Gigafactory into a product, and then sell them to other automakers. This is incorrect.

Tesla will turn the Gigafactory into a product, and then sell them to other Musk Industries partners:
  • SpaceX => Starship
  • Boring Co => TBMs
  • TeSpBorg => Robotic Asteroid Mining fleets
  • Neuralink => killer Cyborgs from the future
/s or not /s ? :rolleyes:

Cheers!

Because Tesla received local subsidies to build the facility, it faces the need to keep the factory's doors open regardless of the change in production plans. But both companies agree that solar cell output there is unlikely to increase, and they no longer see a need to continue joint production. Tesla could unveil a new use for the Gigafactory 2 at an investor meeting in the U.S. in April.

Woow! So that's why they've chosen to hold the "company talk" at Giga New York.

Your thought really seems logical because of India's population but the regulatory environment and infrastructure in a country are more important than you might think. India is pathetic on both counts.

My wild guess is we'll see 3rd gigas in the USA and China and a 2nd one in Europe before the first one in India.

Way down the road, might even see one in Brazil or Japan before India.

China, Europe and the USA will anchor the GF train for some time.

There is the possibility India's government wakes up and offer Tesla the red carpet. Fat chance that happens.

Elon has mentioned numerous times over the past years on Twitter that they very much want to expand to India, but that the regulations so far have been prohibitive.

I expect that, just like China, eventually the Indian government will adjust the rules enough so that Tesla is able to expand into the country.

Of course, if the Indian government remains stubborn, then Tesla would likely be unable to enter the country, but I suspect it's much more likely than not to happen within the next five years.

Reactions: JusRelax and Dare
Wow, I would be impressed if Tesla had about half this number of new facilities. I think Elon will focus on increasing output from the existing factories first. Alien Dreadnought 1.0 is still a way off assuming that M3 line at Giga Shanghai is the current benchmark. MY at Freemont will be a big move towards 1.0.

With Maxwell, castings, Cybertruck efficiencies and robot installed electrical harnesses they should be able to double or treble output per sq ft.
I agree that new Gigafactories will always be more productive, and that existing Gigafactories will be retrofitted to increase their productivity subject to ROI constraints.

I do believe though that Fremont will forever be the mothership from whence all first production vehicles come: hence the 1st Model Ys produced there, the pilot production line for 'Maxcell' batteries, (the 'Plaid S' and Cybertruck...)

Cuz da engineers gatta drive dat sugar. :p Although I suppose that will move beyond Fremont for the first Model 1 "Worldcar" from China...

Cheers!

Reactions: AZRI11
Elon has mentioned numerous times over the past years on Twitter that they very much want to expand to India, but that the regulations so far have been prohibitive.

I expect that, just like China, eventually the Indian government will adjust the rules enough so that Tesla is able to expand into the country.

Of course, if the Indian government remains stubborn, then Tesla would likely be unable to enter the country, but I suspect it's much more likely than not to happen within the next five years.
I hope you are right about 5 years but the politics in India are toxic beyond reason. Things are so fragmented, petty and corrupt it's truly heartbreaking. Diversity and "democracy" can be very good things, but India's divisiveness and internal feuds keep the government (and country) handcuffed. Onerous red tape is part of the DNA there.

For all of it's many faults, the CPC has proven over the last 40 years it can make big, unilateral decisions to advance China economically. It took Elon time to win them over but once the CPC made a decision, things went into "ludicrous mode" instantly. That can't happen in India.

Then there is India's infrastructure issues. Oh brother!

IMO, until India becomes compelling to Tesla because saturation elsewhere makes it their clear and best opportunity, nothing will happen. The good thing is building more GFs in China, Europe, the USA (and maybe elsewhere) will keep Tesla busy for a long time.

They haven't pushed Panasonic panels for a while (ever since the price cuts). I'm curious what all the employees at gf2 will be doing for now. Maybe they are taking the Chinese cells and assembling the glass tiles for the solar roof. (Is that a thing?)

The Panasonic panels were very good quality, but Chinese panels and cells are probably cheaper.
I assume they are assembling glass roof... attaching cells to glass?
Making Supercharger V3....
I will not be surprised to find out that they will be doing more...
Vehicle production is very unlikely, making energy storage batteries is fairly likely..

I hope you are right about 5 years but the politics in India are toxic beyond reason. Things are so fragmented, petty and corrupt it's truly heartbreaking. Diversity and "democracy" can be very good things, but India's divisiveness and internal feuds keep the government (and country) handcuffed. Onerous red tape is part of the DNA there.

For all of it's many faults, the CPC has proven over the last 40 years it can make big, unilateral decisions to advance China economically. It took Elon time to win them over but once the CPC made a decision, things went into "ludicrous mode" instantly. That can't happen in India.

IMO, until India becomes compelling to Tesla because saturation elsewhere makes it their clear and best opportunity, nothing will happen. The good thing is building more GFs in China, Europe, the USA (and maybe elsewhere) will keep Tesla busy for a long time.

Tesla typically wants to sell vehicles in a market before opening a factory there.. import duties make it hard for them to sell in India..this has been the case for years, things have never progressed beyond this point...

OT
Today I tried something different. I had some dry powder and thought maybe I'll add to some of my other holdings. I bought DIS at 129 at around 3 PM and was quite satisfied with myself:cool:. Then at 4:05... :eek:

Serves me right for trying to "balance" things a little.;)
Lol Disney will be fine. Boeing seems like it will recover later this year. Lots of perceived bargains out there. I like how everyone is trying to pile on Tsla right now during this virus. I hope the Tesla team and Elon have another great quarter to shut everyone up and send this thing soaring...again.

Reactions: hoang51

Or, they build a Gigafactory in China as close to India as they can get...

But the reason that Tesla isn't currently in the country is because import costs are so prohibitive. The only way I see India lowering these import costs for Tesla is if it includes a promise from Tesla to build a Gigafactory in the country after a certain level of demand and supercharger/store/service presence has been established.

I don't see how a factory or presence in Pakistan helps Tesla get into India. It also doesn't particularly help Tesla in its goal of localized production.
The advantage of Pakistan offers gwadar a deep sea port and having a port close to the Middle East and quick easy access to Africa and Mediterranean is the advantage. Having access to terminus of the CPEC Corredor with road access to interior China is also an advantage. That is the main difference. Nothing is developed in Pakistan it is a blank and dirty slate except for where the Chinese already come in and invested already. India and Pakistan really just need batteries and solar cells and creation of simple cheap micro grids.

I love this post, but one thing is missing: Giga India. There's no way Tesla is not going to expand to India in the next 5 years, unless the government is really prohibitive.

If Giga 5 is Texas for batteries and/or Cyber, and if Giga 6 is going to be a second factory in China, I'd be really surprised if neither GIga 7 nor 8 were to be located in India.
erm: (quoted from the post you replied to)

"In 2024/25, working cash flow allows up to 7 more GFs to bring the total over 20 (placed as needed; capacity reaches 10-20M veh/year). Sites could include Brazil, India, Japan as desired"

;)

Last edited:
Might already be reported here but:
Tesla and Panasonic will stop JV in Gigafactory 2 (Source: Nikkei)

Not much effect on Tesla it seems...

Tesla has reported that they already have exceeded their hiring goals in Buffalo (1500 jobs in Buffalo + 300 more statewide v. 1460 required),

ERrA_L-W4AApEOn

According to the NY State Department of Labor: "Tesla has indicated it will hire as many Panasonic employees as possible going forward."

Jack Sterne on Twitter