Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am aware their stated goal was 1k/week solar roofs by end of 2019. But I don’t think there’s been more than a small handful of v3 installs has there?

I think the goal was actually more along the lines of:

"1k/week ASAP, but it's hard to predict the exact timing of the s-curve"

They definitely didn't announce publicly they were aiming to hit 1k/week by the end of 2019. I've been conservative in my own models, and estimated they'll hit this around the end of 2020, but there's a lot of room for Tesla to beat this. If they hit 1k/week by mid 2020, I'd be very pleased.

Did it, by any chance, occur to you that Tesla must hire the people before they can train installation crews and ramp production?;)
Obvs. But the installation crews are nationwide hires, not in buffalo. Just seems like a lot of people for what we know is going on there. Some inverters and plugging in Chinese made PV cells into glass. But we know very little in truth, solar roof is still a massive black box of a product.

Obvs. But the installation crews are nationwide hires, not in buffalo. Just seems like a lot of people for what we know is going on there. Some inverters and plugging in Chinese made PV cells into glass. But we know very little in truth, solar roof is still a massive black box of a product.

I imagine they have a training class that new hires attend before being sent in the field. Do you know that the training facility is not in Buffalo? And ramping production can involve installing and calibrating a lot of equipment. That takes workers.

You can assume the new hirees are a fraudulent report, or that Buffalo is a very, very inefficient operation in terms of employee productivity or you can assume big things are starting to happen there. One of them is the logical conclusion. ;)

US health officials say human trials on coronavirus vaccine to start in 6 weeks

"...a vaccine may not solve 'problems in the next couple of months but it certainly would be an important tool that we would have.' He said it’s possible the virus will prove to be seasonal, thus likely to subside in the warmer months like the flu.

There are currently no proven therapies for the latest outbreak, which has killed at least 2,704 and sickened more than 80,200 people worldwide since emerging from the Chinese city of Wuhan about two months ago."

Dan Telvok the Buffalo "journo"
3qbika.jpg

US health officials say human trials on coronavirus vaccine to start in 6 weeks

"...a vaccine may not solve 'problems in the next couple of months but it certainly would be an important tool that we would have.' He said it’s possible the virus will prove to be seasonal, thus likely to subside in the warmer months like the flu.

There are currently no proven therapies for the latest outbreak, which has killed at least 2,704 and sickened more than 80,200 people worldwide since emerging from the Chinese city of Wuhan about two months ago."

Oh cool... that and my Waymo story could get this moving again in the morning!

Reactions: FrankSG
Sounds like Tesla will move away from solar panels. They are doubling down on the roof and will sell you a Chinese made panel if you really don't want the roof. The roof design combined with a team that that fit the roof quickly is a sufficient moat for the next decade (once consumers understand it).

Giga New York could be used to make Maxwell cells for East Coast and European Powerwalls, Powerpacks and Megapacks. With cells being made there, Semis and Cybertrucks could follow easily enough too....

Model Y March deliveries. I’m seeing orders from 2/5/20 and 2/7/20 being contacted for delivery. One of those is in Seattle and not with Autopilot option.

what do I need to read into this? It seems even some early California performance Y orders have not been contacted. Is this just allocating a paint color/seat combo? Demand has got to be outrageous compared to current production, so why the late orders getting filled?
Just received my notification for March delivery so not just performance models now. It appears that a white interior pushes you down the queue. I thought there would be limited deliveries to the West coast but it seems like it's widespread. Assuming that Model 3 deliveries are not affected, Model Y may have more of an impact on Q1 than I (most of us?) thought.

The Panasonic panels were very good quality, but Chinese panels and cells are probably cheaper.
I assume they are assembling glass roof... attaching cells to glass?
Making Supercharger V3....
I will not be surprised to find out that they will be doing more...
Vehicle production is very unlikely, making energy storage batteries is fairly likely..
I've been wondering why Tesla changed its mind overnight about more external capital funding. My two leading guesses for now are a cushion related to Corona; and re-tooling Giga-Buffalo, perhaps for Tesla battery production (as opposed to JV with Panasonic.)

Mild hybrids are just that: slightly electrified ICE cars. They’re cheap to make; the current preferred tech is a 48v motor/generator replacing the alternator, often belt driven, and a slightly higher capacity 48v battery replacing the 12v system. You can do start/stop when the car isn’t moving much more smoothly, and use the motor to fill out a little bit of parts of test cycles where ICEs are very inefficient, as well as do a tiny bit of regeneration. It also gives you power to electrify other accessories if you want. The benefit is maybe 10-15 percent improvement in economy for very little cost, just a few hundred dollars. The German luxury makers are all doing this on almost every model, and there’s increasingly a 48v electrical component market evolving, so you don’t have to do much DC/DC conversion to run 12v stuff. And 48v is below the 60v safety limit, so you don’t have to have special electrical certification to work on a vehicle in the EU.
Yep.

GM tried out the mild hybrid waters a couple years ago. e.g. with the Chevy Malibu.
It was a failure for a couple of reasons: the EPA ratings were not improved enough over standard ICE to move the GM consumer given the extras cost of $1 - $2 thousand dollars, and people rejected the trade-off of no AC when the car was standing still. So far as I know, mild hybrids are also frowned upon in Europe for similar reasons despite the much higher fuel prices.

I've been wondering why Tesla changed its mind overnight about more external capital funding. My two leading guesses for now are a cushion related to Corona; and re-tooling Giga-Buffalo, perhaps for Tesla battery production (as opposed to JV with Panasonic.)

Yep I think company day is probably at Giga-Buffalo for a reason, and we know they are not showing off Panasonic panels..
Whether or not this relates to funding...I hope we see something a bit more exciting than Powerpoint...

Reactions: FrankSG
Just received my notification for March delivery so not just performance models now. It appears that a white interior pushes you down the queue. I thought there would be limited deliveries to the West coast but it seems like it's widespread. Assuming that Model 3 deliveries are not affected, Model Y may have more of an impact on Q1 than I (most of us?) thought.

Even if this does impact Model 3, I guess Model Y is probably higher margin..