Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also, new Performance Model 3 V2 revealed yesterday, the updated Track Mode UI and tire/rims Package should drive traffic into stores.

Most cars (not all) I’ve seen in the showrooms are non-performance trims.
And adding $5K option on top of P pricing is likely not going to increase that proportion of sales either. People who weren’t interested in 3P is not going to now buy it because it costs $5K more.

The new Track Mode is tasty hot fire. No other car on the market has anything close to it. It will automatically track your lap times and knows what track you are on while recording video. Sure the quality may not be as good as a nice Go-pro, but it's free. To replace those functions alone you need a couple pieces of equipment. Plus it allows you to set rear vs front motor bias, regen levels, over clocking of coolant system, and various stability control settings. That's far more advanced than I am at the track, but I can still see the amazing things it could do.

I think it's also the other factor--beyond people who actually take their cars to the track, and who have experience with the items you'd use to monitor your g's, heating/cooling, etc, this package allows the newbs to also do this, with a very easy to understand and use process.

This not only draws more people to the higher priced variants of the Model 3, but it puts those people up to record themselves at the track/what they pretend is a track to show their friends and family. It clogs up the actual tracks with more Tesla's than ever before. More people to watch the Model 3 squish the much more expensive, custom built BMW/Honda/Subaru's and make them think, "Man, EVs really are the future/dominating/better."

More of exposure draws more crowds, more crowds draw more high priced Model 3's purchased, more Model 3 purchased's mean more exposure.

Maybe you want to check your dictionary, but mine says that "above" implies "not at, not equal". I.e. shorts must not post into the spread or at the boundary of the current spread. They can post 1 cent above it: $0.01 is the minimum tick on Nasdaq.

I.e. shorts are only able to post above the current bid.

I am not sure where you get this info from. (Hopefully not "the dictionary".) According to my extensive research (i.e., 2 minutes of googling), the "uptick rule" means:

A short sale has to occur at a price that is either

• above the previous transaction, or
  • at the same price as the previous transaction, if the last price movement was upwards.
In particular, it has nothing to do with the current bid or ask prices, nor with the spread. Sources:

Wikipedia
Investopedia

Just fact checking Fact Checking. :D

Last edited:
Goddammit, got bitten twice with the short-term swings, both on the sudden drop last week, then on the sudden jump yesterday... So my plan to buy another 100 shares went out the window.

To keep things interesting I bought 4xJan 2021 $875 calls today - yeah, not cheap - $146 each, but gets that money working in the meantime and hopefully should be ITM on, or around, the end of quarter, but still time to recover in case of more COVID-19 B.S.

Why not just take it out to March 21 in case you feel like holding on for LTCG?

Its more likely its an upstream problem. Every single brokerage represented by members here at TMC has had execution problems over that last 7 sessions akin to frontrunning on steroids. Even entire satellite exchanges have gone offline due to 'technical problems' (TSE). RH is far from alone.

OT:

Not an endorsement at all, as it's crappy S/W, but Fidelity's Active Trader Pro (ATP) has not had a single issue over the last few days, even when their web interface was acting up for some (all?)

I thought moving ATP from a Windows PC to a faster iMac Pro would help, only to learn it's running under a Windows emulator (WINE) and the recent move to their 64 bit version under macOS Catalina has sloooowed it down even more. But, it's not gone down once, FWIW.

I am not sure where you get this info from. (Hopefully not "the dictionary".) According to my understanding, the uptick rule means a short sale has to occur at a price that is either
  • at the same price as the previous transaction, if the last price movement was upwards.
In particular, it has nothing to do with the current bid or ask prices, nor with the spread. Sources:

Wikipedia
Investopedia

Investopedia and Wikipedia are not particularly good sources when it comes to market mechanics.

The uptick rule is public and unambiguous:

Press Release: SEC Approves Short Selling Restrictions; 2010-26; Feb. 24, 2010

"At that point, short selling would be permitted if the price of the security is above the current national best bid."​

Btw., trade execution/matching software generally has very little notion of "last price" or "transaction", almost all functionality is based on the order book state - where bid/ask are the top entries of the order book.

Why does the BMW EV have a larger grill than their ICE cars???

BMW's leaked product roadmap was posted on Finland's Tesla fan club on Facebook.

16901699-35B7-413E-A8F8-A632E7FA8C0A.jpeg

Well, I was all set to close out some puts with a tidy 2 day profit......then the FED(at WH insistence) stepped in to save the day. Thanks for nothing fellas!

I guess I need to wait another week or so to close. Hopefully corona doesn't crash the market between now and then.

Idiots. It's almost like these annoying libertarians might be right. Almost.

I am not sure where you get this info from. (Hopefully not "the dictionary".) According to my extensive research (i.e., 2 minutes of googling), the "uptick rule" means:

A short sale has to occur at a price that is either

Wikipedia
Investopedia

Just fact checking Fact Checking. :D

In fact checking Fact Checking fact checking checks facts...

Edit: something screwed-up there, now fixed...

Last edited:
Just noticed that the majority of the inventory Model 3s new Philly on the Tesla site have miles on them (300, 2000, etc.) and a number of them come from mall locations... it looks to me like they are listing a bunch of showroom/test drive cars. I wonder why. I would have thought there was still time for new cars to be delivered to the East coast this month, so I wouldn't have thought they needed to list showroom cars just to have something to sell. We're not aware of any Model 3 upgrades that would make them want to replace the showroom models with newer ones, right? Just to clear out space for some Model Ys in the showrooms, perhaps?
On January 2 2020 the only Tesla on the the floor of the Mission Viejo Mall Tesla showroom was a $600 white Tesla kiddy car.
it was a bit odd but certainly explained when the fourth quarter 2019 production and sales numbers were released.

Last edited: