Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
GM is back in the game (according to this uncritical piece in Bloomberg): Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

GM Says Its Battery Is the Android-Style Antidote to Tesla’s iPhone
It’s clear the automaker is not giving up in the race to electrification.
Tell me again who gets the lion's share of the profits?

GM is back in the game (according to this uncritical piece in Bloomberg): Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

where is the SW/OS ? they don't even understand the analogy correctly ... no chance at "first principles"

• Funny
Reactions: capster

How long is it going to take the regular press to figure out that if you are not building a battery factory, you are not a serious contender in the world BEV market.

Only Volkswagen and Tesla are doing this right now, am I correct?

Everyone else is buying batteries from some other vendor, and is therefore not developing any tech of its own.

Compare with the ICE business... there may be suppliers for seats, brakes and other parts, but for the most part, companies develop and build their own engines. This is regarded as the special sauce that differentiates the vehicles in each brand.

Companies that buy batteries from LG Chem and so on, will find it impossible to gain a costs or performance edge.

Further, General Motors is growing the South Korean battery industry!!! Doesn't anyone in the U.S. press have a problem with that? It's a great time to be a South Korean battery manufacturer.

Meanwhile, Tesla is manufacturing and assembling as vertically and as completely as they reasonably can. (Sumitomo 18650's for S+X excepted) This will inevitably add long term strength to the company and will be the "moat." Analysts who think the legacy manufacturers have a "moat of experience" seem to be glossing over the fact that Tesla has two massive factories dedicated to building batteries, but the rest of the auto industry has none.

What do they mean "its".....that's LG's battery. Tesla soley owns their own. :)
I was reading somewhere a Forbes article yesterday (can't remember where, so many reports on this GM story found it!) that GM claims that, while LG Chem is manufacturing the cells, the NMCA chemistry is proprietary to GM:

The chemistry will be proprietary to GM products but was developed in collaboration with LG Chem. GM and LG are continuing to develop new chemistries with the eventual goal of eliminating both cobalt and nickel entirely.

Last edited:
Huh? It works on literally every other discussion forum in the world.

I tried to explain this years ago. I was called a troll. Wish I was joking.

This thread is a chat room and what is allowed and not allowed changes regularly. I think many members here are not actually familiar with how forum software is meant to be used.

I was reading somewhere a Forbes article yesterday (can't remember where, so many reports on this GM story found it!) that GM claims that, while LG Chem is manufacturing the cells, the NMCA chemistry is proprietary to GM:

The chemistry will be proprietary to GM products but was developed in collaboration with LG Chem. GM and LG are continuing to develop new chemistries with the eventual goal of eliminating both cobalt and nickel entirely.
ah, interesting. Thanks for the info. ok, so it's "half" GM's.......hahaha. :)