Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Couldn't Tesla hire a few lawyers (and you) to collect all these numbers and then sue SEC or whoever for 52 trillion or something? At least that would get everyones attention. I know Elon has other things on his plate but it's not like he has to do it personally.
The SEC has shown no interest, in fact outright indifference, to enforcing their own rules. Indeed, they seem more like a facade, windowdressing to coverup the white collar crimes being committed on their watch. Luckily for those faithful public servants at the SEC, they soon will be able to retire to their fat patronage Board appointments at the investment banks they helped commit fraud.

Nobody that reads this forum should be surprised. It's been like this since 2007 when the "Short Selling Exemption for Market Makers" made all this possible.

Like the coronovirus, its just part of life now, something we need to be aware of and deal with. Because unless DC magically grows a spine, Wall St. ain't given up their hole cards.

Remind me again? How do you guys greet each other? If our percentages match up with italy then the market will be irrelevant.

If you still think that Italy is in this position because we kiss on the cheeks (which is both true and not as widespread as you think) knock yourself out.
China and South Korea have very different behaviors but the virus did spread nonetheless.

Last edited:
Couldn't Tesla hire a few lawyers (and you) to collect all these numbers and then sue SEC or whoever for 52 trillion or something? At least that would get everyones attention. I know Elon has other things on his plate but it's not like he has to do it personally.

On this topic, couldn't we all in this forum collectively hire a lawyer and force somebody to look into this?

@Artful Dodger : Out of curiosity, are you able to see what other stocks are getting hit with naked selling at those levels? I guess I'm trying to see if this is widespread.

One reason for the drop could be our old friend Lora and her roumor mill:

tesla_covid19-png.521247

Source: @EinSV in The Coronavirus thread: Coronavirus

Musk has to defend it because everyone else caved, deciding that a settlement to make the lawsuit go away was worth it. Musk has stuck to his principles and will be defending them in court. But this is not news. And the article was misleadingly framed. I do not recommend reading it.

I thought it was the Solar City litigation that they caved into, not the compensation package?

• Informative
Reactions: humbaba
It bounced right back after SP hit 502. Are you a fortune teller? :)
$560.55 -10% = 504.49

This is the very first time shown in my TSLA dataset (goes back to Mar 2015) that the -10% Curcuit Breaker was triggered WHILE the -10% "Uptick Rule" IS ALREADY IN EFFECT!

Because: no News. ffs.

#SEC #USELESS #FOOLINGNOBODY

What’s with all the nonsense about cashing out? Tesla has a large portion of their shares tied to people who won’t sell. They have over $8 billion in cash, if shorts want to get back in that’s fine. Their burn leads to our gains. I have no doubt they are playing a losing game.

If anything this slows things down for Musk who can perfect his operation instead of running at a frantic pace.

I’m speaking solely for Tesla here. If I’m 98% of the other companies out there I’d be scared shitless of this economic destruction taking place. But Tesla should be the least of our worries.

Today 3/13/20 feels very much like when Tesla was at 220 and going down to 180 fast. There was so much panic, uncertainty and no word from Tesla. During this time I made share and option purchases because I convinced myself that in 12 months I wouldn't even remember my inner worries and will be happy to have bought when others were panicking.

I am worried for production cuts, delays and supply chain disruptions but these issues are incredibly inconsequential in 12-24 month horizon so I am buying again.

Buy, hold and sell only if you must.

Today 3/13/20 feels very much like when Tesla was at 220 and going down to 180 fast. There was so much panic, uncertainty and no word from Tesla. During this time I made share and option purchases because I convinced myself that in 12 months I wouldn't even remember my inner worries and will be happy to have bought when others were panicking.

I am worried for production cuts, delays and supply chain disruptions but these issues are incredibly inconsequential in 12-24 month horizon so I am buying again.

Buy, hold and sell only if you must.
Rough time. The saving grace was Apple or Google buying the company. I was willing to see it out though, and it’s worked out well.

One reason for the drop could be our old friend Lora and her roumor mill:

Source: @EinSV in The Coronavirus thread: Coronavirus

"Direct messaging you".

What a vulture. Is this Lora woman really without scrupules?

Edit, she also tweeted this:

"Alameda County, home of the Tesla Fremont factory, has had 7 covid-19 cases confirmed as of March 12 according to the public health website for the county. If you work or worked for Tesla and want to talk about how the company is handling coronavirus, hmu: [email protected]"

Lora Kolodny on Twitter

Last edited:
So, did anyone find any kind of rationale for the big drop (we are back to ADDs...:oops:)?
If this is about cashing out, why not push it up with the market at open before selling?
Today is really weird. More than usual, which is saying something!

Maybe...?

Tesla Decline Threatens Elon Musk Payout -- Market Talk
12:12 PM ET 3/13/20 | Dow Jones

1212 ET - Declines in Tesla's stock amid concerns about the coronavirus pandemic could threaten a big payday for CEO Elon Musk. Tesla's value fell below $100B during Friday trading, having topped that level in January. Shareholders two years ago approved a more than $50B pay package that started unlocking, in part, if Tesla's market cap remained above $100B for some period of time. Tesla shares, down 9% in midday trading, was valued at around $94B. ([email protected])

Did I see the same headline yesterday? Did not click it then either. Must be recycled fake news.
Or help us out and explain, please.
Dated 3/13/2020

Elon Musk is expected to defend a $2.2 billion deal in court next week criticized by shareholders as benefiting Musk at the expense of Tesla Inc, and the outcome may depend as much on the chief executive's temperament as on the facts of the case.

The electric vehicle maker's unconventional CEO has shown two sides in recent court proceedings -- one polite and respectful, the other evasive and taunting.

It remains to be seen which Musk will show up on Monday at a Delaware court, the nation's leader on corporate issues, when he squares off against union pension funds and asset managers who claim they were misled about the benefits of Tesla buying SolarCity in 2016 for $2.2 billion.

My understanding is that it's a suit brought by union pension funds and others against Musk personally (not Tesla) for his role in the Solar City acquisition, with the apparent penalty being Musk disgorging his Tesla shares acquired as a result of the acquisition (through his Solar City equity ownership, I guess?). The Tesla independent directors settled the same claims for $x million which was paid by insurance. Musk didn't settle.

• Informative
Reactions: Lessmog
On this topic, couldn't we all in this forum collectively hire a lawyer and force somebody to look into this?

@Artful Dodger : Out of curiosity, are you able to see what other stocks are getting hit with naked selling at those levels? I guess I'm trying to see if this is widespread.

Yes, I've linked to the raw data from FINRA (their filename pattern is easy to deduce in the URL) for each of the days the Uptick Rule has been in effect over the past month.

So name 5 other equities (ticker symbols) you're interested in, and I'll produce a table with yesterday's "short exempt volume" as a percentage of "short volume". Just be aware that you won't get the "Percentile Ranks" that I've been doing for TSLA, you need more days of data to produce a mean and std dev before you can generate that statistic.

Cheers!

I looked. Its just re-hashing the lawsuit and first paragraph has:

where "by shareholders" should, at most, be "by some shareholders." This is usual exaggeration and part of the usual trying to keep up the appearance that Musk is either crazy, a fraud, greedy billionaire, or all of the above. Its just trash.

hmm regardless I came away from the article with it pointing out cases are sometimes won or lost by not only who the presiding judge is but how as a defendant you present yourself. On this SolarCity case it specifically describes what they’ve seen of the judge and how Elon in past cases has presented in other cases in court (varies). Thought this was all valid points. Don’t see this as a hit piece but more simply recognizing like in jury selection other things can come into play.

• Informative
Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
$TSLA is a bargain right now. Wait for it to bottom out and buy buy buy. Options would be a good idea to catch the upswing, but only get cheap options for a quick turn (small % of your portfolio or try a straddle), or long term options guaranteed to pan out. Otherwise long term stock adding shares now would work. FUD is taking advantage of Tesla’s weak spot on being honest to customers (fake chips in China, something I would have never done), and with their current lying dishonest baby boomer fakery board of director lineup I don’t expect that to change, but their customers are from that rat race generation and just keep buying, and this car sells itself. The Model 3 and Cybertruck will be good sellers. They could be great sellers if Tesla started being honest, but Tesla has very high demand so that doesn’t matter, and is so far ahead of their competitors that only deaf voodoo traditionalists will buy other manufacturer’s ICE cars any more when buying new. The Wuhan bat crown flu will clean out some of the pensioner tax recipients worldwide, and worldwide debt will go down as we don’t have to pay as much of the government “entitlement” programs, and the economy will seem great compared to the last 45 years; Tesla will have plenty of living buyers and workers left and a decent product lineup.

What I hate about Tesla is it doesn’t have a lot of competition, so they have a cruddy take it or leave it attitude. If they got real competition, they would take a couple years to respond, but they are so far ahead that they would end up with huge market share anyway.

Reactions: M|S|W
I thought it was the Solar City litigation that they caved into, not the compensation package?
Ah, to be honest it was a very quick look and as the article was obviously not worth my time I assumed from the lead in that it was the solar city deal. I should know better than to skim that quickly and derive any conclusion (other than the worthlessness of the article) given their propensity to recycle material and accusations. Mea culpa.

I've even been waffling on my core shares lately, selling and buying back. Fortunately I've actually been able to gain in total numbers of shares. I'm going to stop checking here soon. I may use my expected gains from shorting the S&P 500 etc. to buy more in a week or so but aside from that I'm going to grit my teeth and ride this out. I do firmly believe that once we do hit the bottom that will be absorbed by the professionals and algo bots faster than we could react. This stock would probably be north of 1k by now if the virus hadn't hit.

My average original buy in is about 260 or so, so even if it get's cut in half from here I'll still be flat (ignoring opportunity cost). IMO, except for personal situations (if I were near retirement for example), it's far less risky to hold TSLA now than it was last spring when the company was actually at risk of failing. You could probably swing trade down and improve your situation but that comes with extra stress and risk so I'm putting a hold on those activities.

Side note, if gas starts to become harder to find then it's even better to have an EV. ;)

My understanding is that it's a suit brought by union pension funds and others against Musk personally (not Tesla) for his role in the Solar City acquisition, with the apparent penalty being Musk disgorging his Tesla shares acquired as a result of the acquisition (through his Solar City equity ownership, I guess?). The Tesla independent directors settled the same claims for $x million which was paid by insurance. Musk didn't settle.

Gee, I guess they've given up on ever unionizing Tesla.