Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
*Walter Bloomberg on Twitter

"TRUMP SAYS WE’RE WATCHING THE AUTO INDUSTRY VERY MUCH AND WILL BE HELPING THEM OUT AT LEAST A LITTLE BIT"

Trump-Tiny-Bit-Reuters.png

The thought that tesla can use the shutdown to retool the production line and do maintenance etc. Or that they are going to produce ventilators is just redicilous.

People, Tesla is not shutting down because the are not allowed to make cars anymore; they are shutting down because people need to stay home! It doesn't matter what they were making: cookies, milk cans, cars... They had to shut down so people can stay home! So nothing will be done in the factory! No people means no production.!

Each day that goes by I am more impressed (if that is possible) with Elon Musk. His offer to build ventilators is truly impressive, patriotic and magnanimous. He has stepped up to the plate on this pandemic, helped during the Puerto Rican hurricane disaster, Flint, MI water mess, the Thai Cave problem and, of course, global climate change.

I am more committed to this company, Tesla, and Elon's overall sentiment and goals than ever before.

It bothers me that some so-called Tesla fans seem to ride the market waves and swing trade up and down along with Tesla's up and down movements, rationalizing that they still support the overall goal of Tesla. Of course, it is your prerogative to do so; after all, this is a capitalistic society - more power to you. But, if you are going to do so, throw out a disclaimer - hey, I am shorting TSLA now during this downtrend, because I want to make money for myself, even though I support the company overall and like its long-term goals. It would be more tasteful and transparent, though certainly not required on this forum.

His tweet sends a hopeful message. If the world follows the WHO recommendations, we can get this virus under control. I'm not as optimistic as Elon's tweet, but there is nothing bad at all about his tweet. Perhaps you should take a break from Twitter.

I think when you downplay the risks of the virus to a group of people that are resistant to adopting the policies that would minimize the risks, it leads to a bad conclusion.

Elon should speak to things he knows about. He isn't Dr. Fauci

The thought that tesla can use the shutdown to retool the production line and do maintenance etc. Or that they are going to produce ventilators is just redicilous.

People, Tesla is not shutting down because the are not allowed to make cars anymore; they are shutting down because people need to stay home! It doesn't matter what they were making: cookies, milk cans, cars... They had to shut down so people can stay home! So nothing will be done in the factory! No people means no production.!
'
If they are going to make ventilators that is an essential industry... and they can always do that somewhere where there is no shutdown.

They have 3 US factories that may be suitable, I think it is likely to be a small volume mainly manual process using components coming out of their existing factories..

They may only need a warehouse for the assembly, but they need to make or import the components.

EDIT:: Why am I suspecting my post may be the last one standing in this last group of posts.... guys the wrath of the mods is coming...

Shanghai makes a big difference now. You can imagine they are building the expansion crazier than ever during the next months. Probably biggest concern is the remaining supply-chain from US. Was it 50% of parts or so?

Fremont probably opens only when local infection rates get lower. That can take weeks or months. It's not realistic sooner unless Elon produces space suits for everyone. He could though...

Some here say it's stupid to compare US to Italy situation... It's even more stupid to compare to China situation. They handled things better because they shut everything down in the hit areas immediately. Europe and US didn't. Lingang area was never properly hit by the virus because of just-in-time shutdown and that's why Shanghai factory is now running again. Fremont doesn't have this advantage and disagree buttons don't change this reality. Luckily part of Tesla operations are now in China unlike last year.

Of course the US situation could end up being much better than in Europe and Fremont could open after few weeks, but it's really optimistic to count on that. The only real advantage US has now are the examples from various countries to learn from.

Yeah the problem with Shanghai is they are likely still relying on some parts from Fremont. This was from December 31:
The Global Times also reported that 70 percent of parts for the Chinese-made Model 3s are sourced outside of China, the Gigafactory will source 100 percent of its products from China by the end of 2020.
Tesla Shanghai Gigafactory Is Now Producing 1,000 Model 3 Vehicles a Week, Report Says

Teslarati refers to this in this March 10 article that Shanghai is producing more parts but apparently not all they need yet Tesla Giga Shanghai raises parts production capacity amid China-made Model 3 ramp

Hopefully Giga1 can pump all those cells into powerwalls and megapacks to pick up some slack.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: JusRelax and junas
Yeah the problem with Shanghai is they are likely still relying on some parts from Fremont. This was from December 31:
The Global Times also reported that 70 percent of parts for the Chinese-made Model 3s are sourced outside of China, the Gigafactory will source 100 percent of its products from China by the end of 2020.
Tesla Shanghai Gigafactory Is Now Producing 1,000 Model 3 Vehicles a Week, Report Says

Teslarati refers to this in this March 10 article that Shanghai is producing more parts but apparently not all they need yet Tesla Giga Shanghai raises parts production capacity amid China-made Model 3 ramp

Hopefully Giga1 can pump all those cells into powerwalls and megapacks to pick up some slack.

The point is that $8B is going to last long enough to get Shanghai fully ramped, get Berlin online, get Fremont back online and have Giga-somewhere-central-US in progress....

Managing the economic downturn may impact short term earnings over the next 1-2 years, and perhaps the pace of expansion, we will learn more in the earnings call.

Yes these are uncertain times but $8B should last up to 16 quarters or 4 years with careful management and a moderate amount of luck.

• Informative
Reactions: HG Wells
IT'S ON!!! Tesla just opened up a New Design Studio for Model V!!!

Surprising options!
  • One unit can ventilate up 5 patients, optional 7.
  • Standard version has battery backup good for 24 hours with 3.7 kW of solar power included.
  • Or upgrade to Long Life for 42 hours of operation.
  • Performance version to accelerate to healthy enough to climb two flights of stairs, if you know what I mean.
  • Pricing starts at $37k, comparable to Model 3.

/s

But there’s a catch. All 50 states’ Medical Equipment Manufacturing Monolpoly Associations will of course enforce protectionist laws to block Tesla from selling or servicing such ventilators or even offering test-breathes. So Tesla will have 10 years of state legislative battles to deal with.

On the question of Tesla surviving a prolonged shutdown, not only do they have over $8B in the bank, in extremis if more were needed, Musk only has to snap his fingers to raise capital. We saw this just a few weeks ago when institutions lapped up the offering. How many other US automakers can say that?

We are not in the same environment as a few weeks ago. I was also always comfortable that if Elon needed a BILLION or TWO he could get that in silcon valley thorough his friends...I don't think that is true either at this time.

I'm wondering if we will see someone like Apple, the Saudis, etc try a hostile take over or try to buy partial ownership if the current situation expands into several months.
I think when you downplay the risks of the virus to a group of people that are resistant to adopting the policies that would minimize the risks, it leads to a bad conclusion.

Elon should speak to things he knows about. He isn't Dr. Fauci
Agreed and where is Dr. Fuci lately? I haven't seen him at the last two daily updates.

Mod: I think I goofed and deleted a bunch of posts that I had intended to move into the Coronavirus thread. Tough... they should have been there already. No, we don't have time to police yet a third thread about ventilators. And last but not by any means least, I am completely fed up with posts about particular numbers. They have no relevance to anything at all. I've warned a bunch of people about this (probably including the ventilator postings that I meant to move), but now you're all being warned. There will be an instant time-out for people posting about magic numbers. --ggr
PLEASE.... just DELETE posts you don't like. You are not obliged to move them politely to some other place. People who post stuff here know what they're supposed to be doing. They know this is a private, amateur-moderated forum that is free to use, comes with self-governing rules and is not free speech.

Please delete:
1) huge pointless GIFs, memes & jokes that take a lot of time to scroll past
2) small pointless GIFs, memes & jokes that take a lot of time to scroll past
3) anything about 420, tree-fiddy, all that crap
4) coronavirus debates
5) respirator debates
6) anything you see fit that enables us to get to the TSLA stock price conversation faster. Thanks!

We are not in the same environment as a few weeks ago. I was also always comfortable that if Elon needed a BILLION or TWO he could get that in silcon valley thorough his friends...I don't think that is true either at this time.

I'm wondering if we will see someone like Apple, the Saudis, etc try a hostile take over or try to buy partial ownership if the current situation expands into several months.

Agreed and where is Dr. Fuci lately? I haven't seen him at the last two daily updates.

With the numbers sky rocketing NYC, are we likely to see a complete shutdown of the market sooner or later? I welcome it so I don't have to look at the sp anymore during this stressful time, but I guess its terrible for stock prices when compared to the other times wallstreet shut down like post 911.

• Helpful
Reactions: JulieN08724