Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Informative
Reactions: AZRI11 and Dr. J
Perhaps Fed buying index funds to avoid picking winners? Making S&P would have been huge.

I don't think the Fed is buying stocks. Rather, they are buying bonds. I notice that over the past few days, there have been spurts of buying the Tesla big bond well above prior prices. For instance, I just saw a $90 print. Could be Fed-related or Fed-inspired.

upload_2020-3-26_10-34-22.png

You have a lot of company. Tesla short-sellers are well-known for selling low and buying high. ;)
For every share a short sells low and buy high, you have longs buying a share low and selling it high. This is why we really don't want shorts to stop doing what they do. They are providing excess returns for the average long.

when are you ding dongs going to realize you suck at timing the market? just buy and hold. you'll do better.

Got all the way to the order screen to pick up hundreds of shares at around $420 a couple days ago but it would have been on margin. Having a healthy fear of margin caused me to chicken out but oh well...still holding my core shares.

Hi folks, long time lurker here and newbie in the stock market. In light of this market not reacting to job losses and potential revision of guidance from Tesla in its quarter end release, would it be attractive to buy April 3rd puts? I am seeing Strike price of $530 puts sold of around $40 on Questrade. This would be my first time trading options but wouldn't these options be in the money if SP goes below $490 by April 3rd? I feel once updated guidance and hit on deliveries in Q1 is released, $490 is high price for the stock. Really thinking about buying 100 of these options.
For reference, I am sitting on extra cash at the moment that Im looking to invest in the market in the coming days/weeks.

Hi folks, long time lurker here and newbie in the stock market. In light of this market not reacting to job losses and potential revision of guidance from Tesla in its quarter end release, would it be attractive to buy April 3rd puts? I am seeing Strike price of $530 puts sold of around $40 on Questrade. This would be my first time trading options but wouldn't these options be in the money if SP goes below $490 by April 3rd? I feel once updated guidance and hit on deliveries in Q1 is released, $490 is high price for the stock. Really thinking about buying 100 of these options.
For reference, I am sitting on extra cash at the moment that Im looking to invest in the market in the coming days/weeks.

Yes. Jumping directly into options is a super idea for someone new to the stock market. Do it.

Yes. Jumping directly into options is a super idea for someone new to the stock market. Do it.
I understand its high risk... but am I correct in my rationale that as long as SP is less than Strike Price - Option Price, I am in the money? I feel there is high likelihood this stock is going down in the next few weeks. Deliveries are going to be low and Q2 is also not promising... This is a luxury good that is built in Cali which is the hardest hit. Cannot see anything good until June

You're probably not going to get a lot of encouragement to spend $400,000 on short-term puts on a TSLA investor forum.

So yeah, some stuff. You do realize that would be a $400,000 trade, right?

2nd, lot of other variables contribute to the price of an option.

3rd, you are not only trying to predict stock movement, but timing and magnitude.

4th, don't do this.

I understand its high risk... but am I correct in my rationale that as long as SP is less than Strike Price - Option Price, I am in the money? I feel there is high likelihood this stock is going down in the next few weeks. Deliveries are going to be low and Q2 is also not promising... This is a luxury good that is built in Cali which is the hardest hit. Cannot see anything good until June

I wouldn't expect sincere advice here on buying TSLA puts. This seems like a huge bet for a beginner in options, so I'd consult a professional for advice. Personally, every time I've opened an options position I am (financially and mentally) prepared to lose 100% as a worst-case scenario.

90% of new option traders lose 90% of their wealth in the first two weeks. Buy and hold is the strategy that will bring the most gains over time.