Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Third Row is the Fox and Friends of Tesla podcasts. Elon and Tesla’s shambles of a PR team find it useful as an alternative to his being scheduled for doing interviews with real journalists because the Third Row people are not journalists, they’re fans in awe of their idol, and the last thing they would ever do is ask a tough question. He can control what gets said. Third Row’s being played, we all are in a way.

Watch the superfans click Disagree without even thinking.

“Real journalists” like Lora Kalodony, Linette Lopez and the like? No thanks.

Tesla seems to be doing something right. Their market cap is above all the other domestics combined. Why change?

Last edited:
Third Row is the Fox and Friends of Tesla podcasts. Elon and Tesla’s shambles of a PR team find it useful as an alternative to his being scheduled for doing interviews with real journalists because the Third Row people are not journalists, they’re fans in awe of their idol, and the last thing they would ever do is ask a tough question. He can control what gets said. Third Row’s being played, we all are in a way.

Watch the superfans click Disagree without even thinking.
Show me a journalist who is adept in technology who is able to engage Elon and I'll show you an interested CEO. The fact that Elon has to get his words out through these podcasts speaks volume to the sad state of journalism we're in right now.

“Real journalists” like Lora Kalodony, Linette Lopez and the like? No thanks.

Tesla seems to be doing something right. Their market cap is above all the other domestics combines. Why change?

I never named anyone and would not name Kolodny or the usual rogue’s gallery of names who have a history of poor reporting. But I stand by my post.

Teslas PR team a shambles? maybe... but show me the other company, anywhere on earth, any time in history who managed to get one of their products shot in a rocket on a trajectory to mars FOR FREE.
Thats pretty good PR. If my PR department did that, I'd be giving them a raise.
Oh and if my PR dept managed to boost my twitter followers from 11,000 to 33 million...yeah I'd consider that decent PR.

BTW:

Mary barra on twitter has 50,000 followers. Not that more than me, and I'm flipping nobody. I think tesla are *pretty good* at PR.

I never named anyone and would not name Kolodny or the usual rogue’s gallery of names who have a history of poor reporting. But I stand by my post.
Stuff like this exist. Been there done that.
Or would you rather have someone talk to Elon about debt repayment and cap raises? He's an inventor. People watch him to learn, not to indulge in corporate drama and politics. Those *hard questions* nobody wants to hear them.

Last edited:
Yea I try to bug them periodically about it. This was the last response I got.
“Thank you for contacting me regarding your concerns to allow Tesla to sell directly to Texas consumers. As your state representative, I am better able to serve you when you share your views with me. Your correspondence on this matter is greatly appreciated.

During this past 86th Legislative Session in 2019 Senate Bill 1415, filed by Senator Kelly Hancock, was passed into law. It maintains that car manufacturers are not allowed to sell directly to consumers in the state of Texas and must operate sales through a third party. This means that Tesla is allowed to operate showrooms in Texas but is not allowed to sell directly to consumers, and they currently handle all of their sales in Texas online. The State of Texas is absolutely in support of a free market, but we must make sure it is a fair market for all involved. SB 1415 is directed at all car manufacturers, and does not single out Tesla specifically.

SB 1415 also allows for the continued operation of the six Tesla service centers in Texas so that Tesla customers may still get their cars serviced in the state, and no current Tesla owners will be affected by the legislation enacted. Tesla has since switched their entire business model to online sales for everyone in the country in order to save money by not operating dealerships to continue to make their cars more affordable to consumers.

Going forward, Texas is absolutely interested in energy alternatives and any opportunities that create jobs for hard-working Texans. I have also seen reports that Tesla is currently looking into building one of their Giga factories in Texas, which could very likely be an economic windfall for the state.

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to me. I will continue to work on your behalf to make Texas the best state to live, work and raise a family. Please feel free to contact me if I can do anything else to be of service.”
Translation: Unless Tesla pays ME more than the dealer association plus the oil lobby, it ain't gonna happen.

Those guys ask better questions than "real journalists". Aside from that, why would a CEO do interviews with random journalists rather than people who are going to help sell more cars?

Take some more.
I think it can't be understated that most unbiased journalists that would get a chance to interview Musk have such a limited understanding of him or his companies that at best it would be the outer layer of the onion type questions. At some point, he must get bored and frustrated that this entry level Q&A still gets air time.
The obsessed and tribal onlookers such as ourselves can peel back those first few layers before we ask the first question and taste the best parts of the onion. He also seems to relish the chance to discuss the intricacies and difficult problem solving rather than talk about his wrecked McLaren.
Although, I do feel that they (third row) are treading lightly in order to not offend him since it's such a coup to get him on in the first place.

BTW, saw Lycanthropes (Dave's) twitter the other day about Chano's and it reminded me of his claim that,
"Tesla is and remains one of our biggest and our best short positions.”
I wonder what his worst is?

Translation: Unless Tesla pays ME more than the dealer association plus the oil lobby, it ain't gonna happen.
I don't see why Tesla would give Texas a new factory and all those jobs if they aren't permitted to operate in the state as normal. That will be a nice campaign add against that guy if it falls through. "Texas lost 5k jobs during the recession because this guy wanted kick backs from dealers."

I don't see why Tesla would give Texas a new factory and all those jobs if they aren't permitted to operate in the state as normal. That will be a nice campaign add against that guy if it falls through. "Texas lost 5k jobs during the recession because this guy wanted kick backs from dealers."
I think a more effective strategy is to build a factory in Texas that is selling Cybertrucks like hot cakes, and then have the politicians try to explain to the citizens of Texas that want to buy the trucks they built why they can't.... That will get results.

The other option: Gov Abbott wants the GF. He tells Musk that the dealership laws will be amended favorably for Tesla. When the legislature gets back in session next January, he tells them to get it done. They do what he says.

The interview is out now for early access on patreon. Im only partway through but highlights so far:

-Model Y heatpump has what Elon calls “next level” technology using a design closer to a printed circuit board rather than pipes internally. It also has a local resistive heating loop to get the heatpump started in low temps. The heatpump is mainly what lets the Y get the same range as the 3.

-Model Y’s rear casting will go from 2 piece to 1 piece later this year. The casting is only possible with giant 6000lb casting machine. Tesla has one now and will get 2nd in about a month.

- Elon says maybe Model 3’s patchwork rear frame could get retrofit with a casting later, but he has to pick his battles due to limited time/effort/money

1. Shows Tesla maturity in figuring what time frame to move the Y improvements to the 3. If 3 sales go lower in response to the Y, it would not be a good ROI to dump the expensive present model 3 rear body welding robots to build another expensive casting machine for the 3. Makes sense in new factories to go through with this new production method. Its why Elon kept stating, these are things that the customer would not notice.

2. The engineering team has taken the Model 3 skateboard and improved significantly for the Model Y. How many products going forward will be based on this new Y skateboard? Next S? Next X? Roadster (even though the body is rumored to be carbon fiber)?

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
I don’t mind that they want to help oil companies (constituents), dealerships are dumb but I’m not going to vote for anyone that suppresses the growth of a company like Tesla.
States should be helping guide that growth because the day will come when we have to transition energy sectors and the new energy sector is not limited geologically like they were for oil and gas. If Texas wants to maintain their lead as an energy leader then it’s important to keep the door open for opportunity.
I’ll keep sending emails. Atleast they or someone around them will have to keep looking into it.

I hope you pointed out that this is not true and that they have physical stores in states which allow it. Also, if you haven't, point out that no other product requires you to purchase only through a dealer. You can buy a home directly from the builder, the largest purchase most people will ever make. Why are cars special?
I’ll add these points. I’ve pointed out some lies in the email. If Tesla can have a fair shot at Texas it will be huge rapid growth for them.

Musk is one of 20 advisers advising Trump on how to reopen the US economy.

JPR007 on Twitter

I'm not sure how Overlord Musk got caught up in that. He left the last adviser board for a good reason.

That being said, I think he may have a better idea how to have safety measures in place for the operation of manufacturing establishments, since he has GF Shanghai currently using them.

The other option: Gov Abbott wants the GF. He tells Musk that the dealership laws will be amended favorably for Tesla. When the legislature gets back in session next January, he tells them to get it done. They do what he says.
I can understand someone outside of Texas feeling like he does, but that is a gross oversimplification.

If Tesla wanted to build a GF here, Abbott would jump all over it. It would be the signature accomplishment of his tenure. The legislature would fall in line quickly. The dealers association would be ignored and I don't think the oil lobby would take the huge risk of interfering. They know Elon would rat them out.