Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds like the details are coming later this week:

Full details are expected to be released later this week, the health officers said, and "will include limited easing of specific restrictions for a small number of lower-risk activities."

From: Coronavirus: 6 Bay Area counties extend shelter-in-place orders through end of May
Tesla's demand forecast in the US will be super important info this round.
We also hope to learn about the factory upgrades that could accelerate shift the production slope to maybe even outpace the shutdown in the end for YR20. We could be at the peak for SP, but who knows. The story changes everyday.

Reactions: willow_hiller
Das macht nichts. The precise date for fully reopening the factory should not be much of a factor in the long term valuation of the company and its share price.

Precise date doesn't matter, but how Cali treats reopening matters. Given they have one of the lowest death per capita from the virus and are extending orders still, then that means they will be the first to shut down if there's a hint of a flair up(which there will be). Given how conservative they are treating this, people will be pricing in extreme uncertainty for 2020. Even if the vaccine comes out, they may remain closed until X amount of people gets it.

Compare to other states who are opening non essential businesses like bowling alley dispite having high deaths per capita.

Florida is opening soon and we have a higher death per capita than Cali. You know how many Covid pts are in my hospital of 900 beds? One, and we have mid teens amount of pt in our entire hospital system in central FL..so I can imagine Cali barely has any in their hospital. Our hospital already furloughed 20% of the employees and took down our Covid tent which was never used. Our admission rate is only 60% pre Covid. We have flatten the curve so much that we are going bankrupt.

So, in the beginning, Tesla was fighting to stay open. Then, it was closed due to supply chain issues. This corresponded with Spark closing. It was speculated that Tesla had to close because it would be pointless to stay open without batteries.
Spark was scheduled to open on the 4th. Has that changed? I haven't seen anything that says otherwise.
If Spark is back up, will Tesla continue with their reopening plan? Are we sure Tesla is considered an essential service by the state of CA?

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
NASDAQ is showing a crazy 733K shares traded in after hours. I cannot imagine the volatility on ER day when a shelter-in-place news article can move the SP so much. It should be a fun week. I feel like the stock is either going to 1000 or 600.

They tried to move the SP at the lowest point of volume of the day and it didn’t do squat, stock stayed in channel, so it was doubled down after hours.

This isn’t retail, it’s call sellers, large short positions, and/or large accumulators wanting a lower share price.

All of this “Tesla up 10% on news of opening early” is nonsense. It’s up because accumulators were announced Friday/Saturday (Citadel, Oregon Pension).

It isn’t down 1-3% after hours because “maybe not opening til later, it’s down because those on the wrong side will be hosed if they don’t push it down.

Regardless the stock has broken out and I predict this is yet another CNBC bear trap...they’ve authored 3 or 4 amazing ones so far.

I mean one headline tomorrow of “alameda allows Tesla to open on May 4th” is 10% instantly, because the bulls are in charge now.

If this doesn’t work it’ll get worse or we’ll see another market maker holding 4% of Tesla rofl.

Regardless, after hours assaults won’t matter when volume shows up tomorrow.

I pointed out that your list wasn’t actually entirely accurate then added some other examples that Tesla does do on their own and innovates where other OEMs don’t like seats and castings.

Then I clearly stated I didn’t disagree with your premise but expanded on why I also didn’t fully agree with you.

Same side of the fence just social distancing a bit because I don’t see Tesla innovations as black and white - commodity vs not commodity.

Since my style of interacting with you upsets you, I won’t do it again.

Thanks for this.

Most OEM's provide third--parties with their requirements, which often result in a vendor making custom parts for that manufacturer. I think that's common, and doesn't set Tesla apart. For example, most manufacturers would have seats made custom for their cars but by a seat vendor.

What sets Tesla apart - and I think we agree - and where Tesla especially doesn't rely on third-parties to manufacture for them, is where there is no third-party that can meet their needs. The exception is batteries, where they couldn't reasonably do what Panasonic did not for them in the past, even though the product was not commodity. We all know they want to bring that differentiating technology in-house, and will find out for sure on Battery Day.

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
I could see a pretty big macro dip this afternoon when the coronavirus stats are updated and all the weekend deaths get pulled in.
In my boredom I started playing with EV company out of Oregon ticker: FUV. Every time Zach and Jesse from Tesla podcast "Now You Know" talk about FUV, it jumps. About a year ago Zach and Jesse podcasted about FUV, it jumped 400% the next day. This last Friday Zach and Jesse interviewed the CEO, during the podcast it jumped 10% and now another 30% today!

Zack also said he invested in Atlis after interviewing the "CEO."

They tried to move the SP at the lowest point of volume of the day and it didn’t do squat, stock stayed in channel, so it was doubled down after hours.

This isn’t retail, it’s call sellers, large short positions, and/or large accumulators wanting a lower share price.

All of this “Tesla up 10% on news of opening early” is nonsense. It’s up because accumulators were announced Friday/Saturday (Citadel, Oregon Pension).

It isn’t down 1-3% after hours because “maybe not opening til later, it’s down because those on the wrong side will be hosed if they don’t push it down.

Regardless the stock has broken out and I predict this is yet another CNBC bear trap...they’ve authored 3 or 4 amazing ones so far.

I mean one headline tomorrow of “alameda allows Tesla to open on May 4th” is 10% instantly, because the bulls are in charge now.

If this doesn’t work it’ll get worse or we’ll see another market maker holding 4% of Tesla rofl.

Regardless, after hours assaults won’t matter when volume shows up tomorrow.
I think the Tesla short sellers are scared. They don’t want to miss an opportunity to be a part of a Tesla earnings tumble, but the fear of a profit and the stock taking off, plus getting screwed by other short covering is real.

I have no clue how the earnings will shape out, but if shorts want to play this game then be my guest. I just don’t want to hear how Tesla is overvalued when they keep giving us this gift every other month this year.

They were talking about Tesla not bringing more employees in this week on CNBC and our friend Tim Seymour said “shocking that Tesla would say something then do something else” plus he doesn’t believe Tesla should ever be valued at 800 a share.

another guy on the panel just mentioned that the atmosphere is bad for Tesla with low oil but admits he constantly gets Tesla wrong

I think the Tesla short sellers are scared. They don’t want to miss an opportunity to be a part of a Tesla earnings tumble, but the fear of a profit and the stock taking off, plus getting screwed by other short covering is real.

I have no clue how the earnings will shape out, but if shorts want to play this game then be my guest. I just don’t want to hear how Tesla is overvalued when they keep giving us this gift every other month this year.
I agree they are scared! Another thing, I suspect they are worried about, is even if TSLA misses on earnings, stocks haven’t taken much of a hit so far from market as it seems most investors are giving companies a mulligan this go around bc of corona and it’s impact. The smart $ knows corona will be a distant memory soon and if anything TSLA will be in better position than other auto’s.

So there's lots of likely reasons for the TSLA pop today, but the most bullish news for me was the software update.

Tesla vehicles recognize and respond to traffic lights, stop signs with latest software update – TechCrunch

A few more steps are needed before FSD is "feature complete" (Elon's prediction for this year), but the year is still young. I'm not sure if everyone here fully appreciates what a nuclear bombshell FSD will be to the industry and the stock. But maybe a few whales out there do.

They saw how lane-changing on Autopilot progressed from requiring confirmation to not requiring it. Now Tesla has introduced intersection-passage requiring confirmation. How long will it take for Autopilot to learn this task? Especially now that the training-fleet numbers half a million and is growing exponentially. I'm guessing not long.

So a big question for me is how forward-thinking are the whales? Will they wait for the bomb to fully emerge, or see it coming ahead of time? Was the pop today because of other good news, or the emerging bomb?

Of course, the answer doesn't matter much to HODLers. I'm just curious how long I'll be able to accumulate before TSLA takes off for the stratosphere.

That is old news about limited staff coming back this week. We haven't seen anything about Tesla cancelling plans to restart on May 4th.

If both the federal government and the state allow it, how much power does the county (and Lara Kolodny) have to stop Tesla from resuming operations on May 4th?

That is old news about limited staff coming back this week. We haven't seen anything about Tesla cancelling plans to restart on May 4th.

I agree! Just an attempt to spread FUD. There was nothing new in the article that hadn’t already been discussed and known. I honestly see it as good sign bc it’s apparent that people are scared and need to attempt to stop TSLA climb. I also wouldn’t be surprised if this FUD wasn’t coming from large institution trying to get SP down so they can accumulate more shares at lower price. Nothing surprises me when it comes to Wall Street and their tactics. I also wouldn’t be surprised if we are green before open tomorrow.

Alameda County is extending the stay at home order through the end of May with limited eased restrictions for “lower risk” activities. We don’t know whether that includes the factory. If not, Tesla will be forced to remain closed until June.

Now Tesla has introduced intersection-passage requiring confirmation. How long will it take for Autopilot to learn this task? Especially now that the training-fleet numbers half a million and is growing exponentially. I'm guessing not long.

Lets guess. Lets be REALLY pressimistic and say they need a crazy number like a hundred million intersection events to work out all the kinks and ensure its safe as it can be...
500,000 cars going through 4 intersections per trip 2 trips a day (super pessimistic). thats 3 million a day.
So a month, assuming they dont add a single car to the fleet in the next 30 days :D