Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The more I've thought about Elon's tweet and what it may signify the less confident I've felt about the near term. Couple that with what I think is an irrationally inflated market at this time. I sold some shares in my IRA at $795.

I’ve agreed with every post you’ve made today, including this one, yet can’t find the strength to sell like I should. Any pointers? lol

I’ve agreed with every post you’ve made today, including this one, yet can’t find the strength weakness to sell like I shouldn't. Any pointers? lol

FTFY!

Unless you need the money now it doesn't make a lot of sense to try to time the market. The shares should be worth a lot more in just a few short years. You might time the market profitably, but there is a slightly better chance that you won't.

"Poor" is a state of mind and it's more contagious than Coronavirus. I noticed your signature line makes the claim you are poor.

Unless you like being poor, and want to remain that way, I recommend you remove that claim and stop thinking like a poor person. Because words and thoughts matter. To climb out of poverty it is necessary to think like a successful person.

I am not living below the poverty line--in fact, I am comfortably above it. However, I also enjoy humor (which is why my signature says that when it's not true; it's in comparison to those who are much, much better off than me who are in this very subtopic) and come from a below poverty line family--so it flavors my perspective even in my adult life.

But it's not just a "state of mind" as a lot of people put it, it's the social economic pressure that is put on you. You're raised in a poor way, and a lot of people will definitely take advantage of you because of that, and have rigged the system just for that. You can't change it by simply saying "don't think poor." Sometimes life comes out at you and you can't break away from the "poor" because that's not how the system is set up. Hard work can raise you above this life, and the way you think does greatly impact it--but you can hope and think all you want and still it won't be enough.

One of Tesla's best shakes for the "poor" is the fact they're not dealerships, who profit off of interest, long loans, and maintenance. So when Tesla finally comes out with their sub-$20k compact car, the lower rungs can get a break rather than having to buy the sub-quality beater who has terrible gas mileage and is held together paycheck to paycheck and prayers. The Model 3 is a great car, and reaches a lot more people than the S, but it's base price is STILL $35k, and I have literally seen $35k, 2017 models being placed for sale at $34k earlier this week. It hasn't trickled down to the lowest rungs yet, and will probably take a while still.

Even the Model S, from 2014/2015, are still in their $30k's. That's simply out of the budget for a lot of people who have to hunt down 5-10k used cars. The $20k new is still a lot, but used it would be much easier to afford, so they'd be able to stop wasting money on repairs and poor fuel efficiency.

I’ve agreed with every post you’ve made today, including this one, yet can’t find the strength to sell like I should. Any pointers? lol

I thought the same thing 3 weeks ago, and paid for it. It may very well come to fruition, but you have to imagine how would feel if the stock appreciated significantly instead. When would you cut your "losses" and buy back in at a higher price?

My newly gained experience is that it's too stressful to be in that situation, and not worth it for trying to get some short term gains.

For less than 10% of your position, that wouldn't be a big deal though

Reactions: PeterJA
Has anyone bought more today?

I sold ~15% of my shares because 1) sp is nearing all-time high despite the covid situation 2) latest autopilot update videos demonstrate that FSD in the near term is a pipe dream and ) musk is dialing up the crazy dial on Twitter.

There's little room to go up in the short term so I'm thinking that we will go down or hover around the same level. Will probably buy back after a couple of weeks or months, even if I'm wrong and the sp goes up. Would have sold 25% if the European market had stayed open longer.

Last edited:
For those on the forum with long term experience with TSLA, I would love hear your perspective on this Twitter controversy. I'm hoping to look at the bigger picture above the noise and passion of the moment.

I know he has tweeted controversial things in the past, but "Elon Musk" is now the top trending term in my region, and it is a little bit demoralizing to see so many people jump on the hating Elon bandwagon without thinking about what he is trying to accomplish with regard to a sustainable future.

I think for the most part, people will forget about this in a short amount of time, and they are just generally upset and looking for someone to vent their frustrations on. Does anyone think this has a bearing on the long-term future of the company?

Has anyone bought more today?
No, it doesn't look as if it's a great investment.
Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 13.32.35.png

Call me biased from the poor side, but those all seem to almost exclusively benefit the richer side of Americans. Not many poor people play golf or tennis, have gardeners or landscapers, richer classes are smaller, and construction may seem more all--but it's the richer neighborhoods who tend to get their streets worked on sooner and more often.

I can see the reasoning behind it--those activities are notably further distance-based than, say, football--but still. :confused: I can see some people bringing up these "rich privileges" being excepted when they can't do their own ones. Hopefully the order details the basis behind these exceptions (such as the distance between tennis partners) and not just names them.
I had almost the exact opposite reaction. That work activities that have a lesser risk of transmitting the disease are OK. Landscapers, greens keepers, etc. can go back to work.

For those on the forum with long term experience with TSLA, I would love hear your perspective on this Twitter controversy. I'm hoping to look at the bigger picture above the noise and passion of the moment.

I know he has tweeted controversial things in the past, but "Elon Musk" is now the top trending term in my region, and it is a little bit demoralizing to see so many people jump on the hating Elon bandwagon without thinking about what he is trying to accomplish with regard to a sustainable future.

I think for the most part, people will forget about this in a short amount of time, and they are just generally upset and looking for someone to vent their frustrations on. Does anyone think this has a bearing on the long-term future of the company?

I think that some people are just upset with the world in general, and are predisposed to dislike certain people because they "have it all." They then ignore all positives about a person, and only focus on the things they dislike, all the while outraged that the person is "pretending to be one of us" with quirky memes. They're angry at the world, and choose to focus that anger on someone "beyond reach." Why do you think a lot of celebrities quit social media? They get sick of being targeted again and again, regardless of what they do.

I don't think this will effect Tesla long term at all. It will be routinely brought up after this, like the pedo guy tweets, but the majority of people who have an impact on Tesla--or who are impacted by them, like the workers--will just ignore it and continue on their way.

the tweets he made were stupid. they cheer on and side with idiot extreme right-wingers, and piss off huge swaths of potential EV buyers and Tesla fans.

There was no appreciable gain here, only loss. He could have said nothing, and/or stuck to his usual Twitter persona: alternating being goofy, and bragging about SpaceX/Tesla. These tweets were neither. They were stupid, both from a content perspective and an overall strategy perspective.

Elon's tweets have convinced me now, more than ever, that he needs to go. I, for one, will not buy another Tesla after his BS today. He doesn't remotely care about anyone but himself and the bottom line. It's appalling...

Jeff
or maybe he realizes there will be more deaths from starvation and other issues if we don't get the economy back to work. I feel for every person effected by the 50k+ deaths but at some point people must get back to work or we will end up w bigger issues than COV19. just my 2 cents and long ways from the intelligence of Elon.

I can totally get behind his message of "reopen with care & appropriate protection". But "free america now"?
I bought share during "funding secured", loaded more during "pedo guy", bought all the way down to $180 per share.

I continue to support Tesla's mission and I understand Tesla is bigger than Elon himself. But I don't fully trust him anymore, since he allowed himself into an echo chamber based on his belief and a series of flawed study and incomplete data. He lost his first principle and evident based thinking. So I need to lower my exposure to Tesla from a dangerously high percentage of my money to "just another investment".