Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great numbers.

Bad Elon.

Elon talking about public policy on a pandemic is like
Fauci talking about landing rockets on barges.
Just possibly not. Take a quite review of what has happened after his outbursts, even include the court cases and aftermath.
In this specific instance, who is the most influential force towards public policy that will harm or help Tesla and SpaceX.
Translation: Does Jeff Bezos benefit from Federal support?
From all the past cases just reflect on the aftermath. Who might react well or poorly to each.
Some people use feigned anger to good effect. Rarely, but sometimes.

I’ll put in super harsh terms. If Elon’s mom just went through what my friend’s Dad just went through, hooked up to a tube, dying with his family stuck on the other side of a glass wall, he’d have a way different outlook.

I doubt it. Elon's outlook is informed by the data and you can be sure he's consulted a number of medical professionals on this very topic. He well understands that people will get sick and die of COVID-19 but that's going to happen even if we remain locked down. What's relevant here is whether making cars would increase the death rate. His experience in China is that it doesn't have to if the proper precautions are followed.

That would be a real engineering challenge for a company like Tesla to delve into cameras that could somehow communicate through the air without wires! And they would need a method to hook them on the back of the trailer. Maybe some sheet metal nails? o_O

Oh snap! Screw that, I guess they would have to build custom trailers! /s

And one that can also be pulled by Cybertruck!

California is apparently about to close all the states beaches and wants local police to enforce.

I'm about to go full blown Elon on this thing.
I circle back to my original statement, most of this response is an inverse reaction to Trump's insane lack of initial action. You can expect the more liberal state officials to be more emotionally impacted. They're now in panic mode and must "save us all".

Even though Tesla is very vertically integrated, they still have tons of suppliers, some of whom are struggling. Getting these all ramped back up, and operating at full speed is no trivial task.

While I agree with this, you can be certain Tesla is in close contact with every single supplier, right down to the last screw and wire tie. They wouldn't be pushing so hard to re-open if they saw a problem.

Reactions: kbM3
A quick superficial look at the Q1 report shows Tesla with actual positive operating cash flow when excluding the $981 million inventory increase, thus $86 million. Q1 is typically the worst quarter for auto sales and Q1 losses are quite common. Tesla had an inventory increase only because of inability to deliver the finished product that buyers worldwide were ready to take.

Accounts payable were $3,970 million
Current Liabilities were $11,986
Current Assets were. $14,893
Thanks.

I'll have to try and match up your $86M positive cash flow calc with their statement.
I agree with your point about undelivered inventory; in fact, I can imagine it actually working out as a positive since it will let them attenuate the difficulties of Q2. It is I think fairly obvious that Shanghai and Fiat are most of why Tesla is doing so much better than the US industry and the even better news is that these advantages continue.

Are the following numbers for inward cash flow about right ?
- 6B in, comprised of 0.354B credits, an amount for PV/storage, and the revenue gained from 88k deliveries ?
I'm inclined to use 40k cars per quarter minimum revenue just due to Shanghai

Outward cash flow for the next couple of months will be in large part
-- operating costs
-- Accounts payable
-- Notes payable
Right ? Can you put numbers to these categories ?

Reactions: Dig deeper
California is apparently about to close all the states beaches and wants local police to enforce.

I'm about to go full blown Elon on this thing.

Again?

I thought they’d already closed them, along with all the parks including dog parks and reopened them recently but said keep social distancing?

I can’t even keep up.

View attachment 537464

I’ve never been a fan of utility power poles. They are UGLY.

Battery Day will amplify the capabilities of renewable energy. The disruption of utility companies draws nigh.
I would imagine the person that has to service that streetlight hopes so too.
And if you get shocked, somehow your shoelaces fuse together as you fall. I know, it's weird.

I circle back to my original statement, most of this response is an inverse reaction to Trump's insane lack of initial action. You can expect the more liberal state officials to be more emotionally impacted. They're now in panic mode and must "save us all".

It's absurd, I took my wife daughter and I to a local beach this past weekend. There was easily 40+ feet of distance around us at all times. They are one of the EASIEST place to keep social distancing.

Sorry to the folks who were hoping for TSLA to hold onto the gains and playing with call options. Heck, I'm in that same boat to cheer for TSLA to rise above $900, since I'm holding onto remaining higher cost TSLA shares. TSLA is limping today, which isn't all that surprising after a good earnings and conference call. Well, here's looking towards lowering my TSLA average and/or buying other stocks.

Reactions: StealthP3D
You remind me
In that vein you remind me of 5 year olds having a temper tantrum after their cotton candy is taken away.

And unfortunately, you have not learned to read very well yet. I have been posting in this forum regularly since January the behavioral measures needed to have avoided SAH in the first place, and they are the same needed to avoid a resurgence of the epidemic as SAH is rescinded.

Now, absent anything useful to say, may I recommend you invest in a pacifier ?

Again?

I thought they’d already closed them, along with all the parks including dog parks and reopened them recently but said keep social distancing?

I can’t even keep up.
Los Angeles county beaches have been closed. Orange County beaches have been opened. Now they’re all closed.

With Elon’s comments hitting the international news circuit, what percentage of the people hearing his comments knew that his beef is with the county administrators? 1%?