Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a demand problem. Too many people want these cars and Tesla can't build them fast enough. It is a good problem to have. ;)

Also using the inclusion or exclusion of winky faces and whether a string of words are used in a post is an unusual investment strategy. But hey have at it.

Yeah, that doesn’t qualify. It has to be the other kind of a demand problem.

I have plenty of TSLA and hadn’t been looking to add for years. But when Q1 of last year hit and people freaked out and SP dropped, I decided that for every post that mentioned Tesla had a demand problem I would buy a share. I did and got a really good deal on them in the low $200’s.

I’m doing that again this time around since I’m pretty sure Q2 handwringing will happen and claims of demand problems will resurface en force. I also think I might get a discounted price.

Looks like it’s time to buy some Friday option lottos, we could be looking at another interesting Friday.

I wish I knew how many number of times Elon had previously talked about the stock price. I panicked and sold 2/3 of my shares thinking the markets will tank and the shorts will pile on. In any case I bought back some. I will probably wait for a pullback to add some more but given how the market is behaving and how well TSLA is consolidating in the 780 range I’m not so sure I should wait. Oh well you learn your lessons and move on. At least I still have my 1800 strike LEAPS that I bought when they were trading at 30$.

Reactions: Right_Said_Fred
GF3 construction is stunning. Am I correct that the adjacent waterway is for drainage only and no material is delivered by it? Is our video host who reports regularly an official or quasi-official government functionary?
When viewing new or existing Tesla facilities, I like to remember that 1/86,000 of everything there is mine.

it’s a moat! Elon lies again, he does believe in moats.

Points made by The Limiting Factor guy interviewed by Gali:

DBE will eliminate additional degradation resulting from charging to 100% and going down to near zero.

DBE should increase charging speed. He did not quantify.

He didn't specifically say this, but he implied that since degradation will be less significant with dbe, the battery will be able to charge at the highest speeds longer than current tech. This, of course, leads to faster overall charging. I'm not sure if the maximum charge rate will also increase with dbe as well, but I'm almost 100% certain that he means maximum charge rate will be able to be sustained longer.

View attachment 539411
I find it helpful to read @Krugerrand as having an arid sense of humor. Drier than dry.

(NOTE: I like dry humor, seriously)

My humor has taken its toll.

41126FE3-5AF5-41DC-8396-F53A2A8363BF.jpeg

Hey look, TSLA q-sader is back and trying to make national holidays look like production issues
Hey, that joke is not funny anymore. I hope you can stop. I am a Tesla long with hundreds of shares.
If you can read the article or use Google translate you will see that it says the production will be back on 5/9 because parts from Mexico has supply issue.

Is that two or three days without production?

It might be a good time to implement any speed/efficiency improvements to the line they have been holding off on.

The article stated production was halted on May 1st and didn't resume on the 6th as planned due to parts shortage. It is now expected to resume production on the 9th.

Also, the overseas parts shortage seems to be from suppliers in Mexico.

I really depends on the power of lobbying groups.

We are seeing the hottest month ever on human history, I am not seeing NRDC or Sierra or MoveOn serious about working with congress that EV cannot be excluded.

Tesla is lone wolf and it does not support unionization. UAW is a bigger force for Democrat part and GM / F executives are pretty much inline with Republicans. Tesla holds very little water.

UAW political contribution: 98% Democrat, 2% Republican
United Auto Workers Summary | OpenSecrets

GM donation history
OpenSecrets

TESLA donation history
OpenSecrets

The traditional automakers are much more involved in the politics.

UAW doesn't have any auto workers in California or Nevada. In California the UAW represents University teachers assistants.

GM has a few engineering offices in California.

If this site allowed wagers I would wager an auto bailout that does not include Tesla has zero chance of passing the House and Nancy Pelosi.

If for no other reason for Pelosi to stick it to Trump.

Lol, I just listened to Gali congratulating himself: (43:35)

"I think it's you know like Elon Musk said on the conference call the Youtubers and Bloggers are figuring this out and this is the cutting edge of research"

Yeah, that's what Gali said on his channel after the call, alright. But what ELON actually said during the Jan 2020 Earnings call was this:

Elon Musk -- Co-Founder and Chief Executive Officer

"Well, I guess, we don't have to -- I do think that a lot of retail investors actually have deeper and more accurate insights than many of the big institutional investors and certainly better insight than many of the analysts. It seems like if people really looked at some of the smart retail investor analysts and what some of the smart smaller retail investors predicted about the future of Tesla, you would probably get the highest accuracy and remarkable insight from some of those predictions."​

Notice where Elon says Youtubers? Yeah, he doesn't. But that's what Gali heard, and the story he keeps telling himself (and his listeners). Funny or sad? You decide. I've decided to chuckle. :p

Just to be fair, my prediction for Tesla Battery Day is what I call the "G-Cube". It's archived and accesible in the thread "Moderators' Choice: Posts of Particular Merit" #37 from July 29, 2019.

G-Cube is my answer to this question from @ReflexFunds here:

"I haven't seen much discussion on when people are expecting Pickup to hit production, and exactly what year Elon's 2TWh battery manufacturing target will correspond to. Any thoughts?"

So you all can take ur turns now: What will battery day bring? Predict away! :cool:

Cheers!
You switched topics. The reference was about the Potter (Jeffrey Sandler) interview on excellent Tesla daily podcast. (Rob Mauer) (Incidentally Gali improved a lot during the years.)

Reactions: AZRI11
So you all can take ur turns now: What will battery day bring?

I'm looking for battery day to bring news of Tesla manufacturing their own battery.

#1 priority is Tesla being in control of their own battery destiny,

Once they can get the process going, they can scale up to their hearts delight, and no longer be dependant on any outside supplier.

also would be good have an answer to, how long does it take to prove that their new battery is roadworthy?

This whole "essential" vs "non-essential" business is a farce. One of the weirdest, non-logical "laws" we've been forced to follow. Just go into a Costco, Walmart, or Target to buy clothes and then think about all the other clothes stores forced to close, regardless of precautions.

On the other hand, you can go to a McDonalds drive-thru, buy a quarter-pounder with bacon and a McFlurry, but most ice cream shops have been forced to close.

Edit: looks like ice cream shops are ok to open now, but you get my drift. Ice cream is NOT essential by any means.

Makes much more sense what some states are doing is allowing big box retailers to sell "essential items" and not sell "non essential items"like clothes.

Yeah, distinguishing between drive through and dine-in service or walk in service makes no sense. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Snerruc
Yeah, that doesn’t qualify. It has to be the other kind of a demand problem.

I have plenty of TSLA and hadn’t been looking to add for years. But when Q1 of last year hit and people freaked out and SP dropped, I decided that for every post that mentioned Tesla had a demand problem I would buy a share. I did and got a really good deal on them in the low $200’s.

I’m doing that again this time around since I’m pretty sure Q2 handwringing will happen and claims of demand problems will resurface en force. I also think I might get a discounted price.

I doubled my position when it hit 170. I don't think we will ever see those lows again though.

Reactions: FrankSG and wtlloyd
also would be good have an answer to, how long does it take to prove that their new battery is roadworthy?

That is a good question...

The Jeff Dahn team would have done a lot of lab testing on longevity.

They can run lab tests on a completed pack, testing how it goes with repeated cycling..

If we are talking crash safety, then a roadworthy might require a cash test.

I think any proposed pack may run around in test mules for at least 6 months before volume production use.
Just looking at a car we can't tell what pack or motors it has..

Most probably they are intending to use Maxwell pack in the Plaid Model S/X. But Plaid drive itself might be slightly delayed.

We may get some answers on Battery Day, as far as possible they will not announce anything that will Osborne existing models...

Reactions: ABCTG