Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Factory opens, so now let's talk logistics. How many Cars can be delivered to EU by end of June?
I hope Tesla figured out other routes from East Coast which might shorten the time, or at least increase volume. cheers!!

There are a couple options to take, IMO:

1. Resume Typical Operations: This would involve manufacturing European-spec cars for a few weeks to get what they can on ships to Europe, then switch to US vehicles for June.
  • Pros: Doesn't introduce any new variables (within their control) to their past logistical processes.
  • Cons: Likely reduces the amount of cars that can be delivered in Q2. Ensures the "Wave" logistics problem continues.

2. Maximize Q2 Revenue: In this approach, in an attempt to reduce the pain of Q2, they would manufacture cars purely for the North American market thru the end of Q2. This eliminates the delay for the manufacturing line switchover from NA to Europe config cars and reduces the chance for any shipping/logistical problems. Plus, I'm not sure if MY is certified for European delivery yet anyway.
  • Pros: Maximizes revenue/minimizes loss for Q2. Doesn't really introduce any new variables to their past logistical processes.
  • Cons: No cars to Europe = sad European customers. Doesn't stop the "wave" logistics problem.
3. Stop-The-Wave Approach: In this approach, Tesla would basically bite the bullet, write off Q2 (after all the market has likely already done that anyway), and focus on taking this opportunity to eliminate the wave logistics problem by switching more frequently between European and NA spec cars. They would ignore the Wall Street calendar and instead focus production on spreading deliveries out evenly through the quarter.
  • Pros: "The Wave" disappears. Deliveries are less rushed and spread evenly through the quarter in all regions. Delivery quality improves, logistics problems get reduced significantly.
  • Cons: Will likely result in a short-term hit to deliveries/revenue.
I think Tesla will take option (2) for a few reasons:
  • With S&P inclusion close, if they believe Q2 can be salvaged with high margin MY deliveries, it will be worthwhile not only to put out decent results compared to other car companies, but also to maximize chances of S&P inclusion.
  • With the German factory underway, wave logistics will only be a factor for another year--and with delivery logistics improving bit-by-bit each quarter, if they've survived this long, they can survive another year with wave logistics. They've seen worse.

Last edited:
Anyone have a SWAG yet on how many cars they can produce per week with only 30% of plant employees allowed?

FWIW: I still think production will be limited since it will be probably be June/July before the County allows a full return to work

It wouldn't surprise me if they use the rest of this week to test things at 30%, be at 80% on Monday, then 100% by Wednesday if they don't encounter any problems. This is percentage of those that want to come back to work--there will be some percentage that chooses not to at this time, although I'd wager that would be less than 10%. Ultimately, most of those workers need a paycheck.

Looks like they've figured out how to read speed limit signs while not violating Mobileye's patent:

upload_2020-5-8_6-44-33.png

Looks like they've figured out how to read speed limit signs while not violating Mobileye's patent:

View attachment 539770

I never for a minute believed Mobileye owned a patent that would prevent Tesla from reading the speed limit signs with cameras. This fails the "obvious to a person skilled in the art" (of computer vision) clause.

It wouldn't surprise me if they use the rest of this week to test things at 30%, be at 80% on Monday, then 100% by Wednesday if they don't encounter any problems. This is percentage of those that want to come back to work--there will be some percentage that chooses not to at this time, although I'd wager that would be less than 10%. Ultimately, most of those workers need a paycheck.

I would put it at less than 2%, comprised almost entirely of people with pre-existing conditions.