Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's unrealistic and not sustainable and the fact that they won't acknowledge this makes it very clear they have absolutely no clue about what to do when there are upticks in the infection rates in the future (which will happen and it's not necessarily a bad thing as long as the death rate isn't spiking either).
I think both rates mean too little (except for politics and obvious sentimental reasons), only the focus on the ICU capacity makes sense (if what they told us is true, if it is a virus and if we can not stop or cure it, etc.). So basically enough capacity - open activity for the healthy, ICU is getting low - start closing activity down. If the science tells us now that we can cure people of the virus by making them breathe home air, then yes - we can survive long term by sitting at home.

This is sad news to me personally, but great news for Tesla!

If governments were like companies, a junior executive that lost the company's largest customer because they were too bullheaded to compromise (e.g. require PPE for everyone in the plant during May) would be fired. Not saying that Alameda didn't try to accommodate Tesla, but I'd guess they didn't. .

But whether Alameda was at fault or not, moving Tesla HQ and future projects to Texas is the perfect way to bring Tesla further into the American mainstream. Imagine how much more attractive Tesla becomes to the midwest and southern demographics after giving California the finger and moving HQ to Texas.

Then after a year or two after Tesla has been a Texas citizen, CyberTruck comes out. No one can buy the publicity or street creds for a move like this.

The Fremont factory will stay open at capacity for the indefinite future too so it doesn't affect the workers. Tesla will not have enough production volume for the foreseeable future. ,

It's a PR disaster for California and affects Fremont, Alameda, and California's tax base. I hate to see that happen, but am happy the move will benefit Tesla.

Last edited:
Many of those same companies have quite a few offices/factories in Texas, mostly in Austin.
Education is local in Texas. That is, each independent ISD sets what's taught (even though some of the politicians would like every ISD to teach superstition). Austin is mainly made up of non-natives because of all the tech jobs that have opened up over the past couple of decades, so that shouldn't be an issue. (Note: No children so I don't pay that much attention to this issue other than to vote against it whenever I get a chance.)
Racists are everywhere, not just Texas, mostly they are in in the smaller towns (at least in Texas that's the case). There's not a big issue in the larger cities (other than the usual--police target minorities).

Austin is a great city!

A sudden 'glass of wine' inspired thought, and argument for re-opening,
Factories should be open LONG before any sort of shops re-open, due to this very simple difference:

With factories, you know the names and addresses of every person in the facility. WIth swipe cards, you are pretty sure exactly where they went. In many cases, employees sign or clock-in, so you have a definitive list of who was where, when, and who they are, and where they live.

With shops, random joes walk in and out all the time, as they see fit, coming from who-knows where, and heading off who knows where...

Which makes for easier contact tracing?

This is sad news to me personally, but great news for Tesla!

If governments were like companies, a junior executive that lost the company's largest customer because they were too bullheaded to compromise (e.g. require PPE for everyone in the plant during May) would be fired. Not saying that I know Alameda didn't try their best to accommodate Tesla, but they probably didn't try at all in all likelihood.

But whether Alameda was at fault or not, moving Tesla HQ and future projects to Texas is the perfect way to bring Tesla further into the American mainstream. Imagine how much more attractive Tesla becomes to the midwest and southern demographics after giving California the finger and moving HQ to Texas.

Then after a year or two after Tesla has been a Texas citizen, CyberTruck comes out. No one can buy the publicity or street creds for a move like this.

The Fremont factory will stay open at capacity for the indefinite future too so it doesn't affect the workers. Tesla will not have enough production volume for the foreseeable future. ,

It's a PR disaster for California and affects Fremont, Alameda, and California's tax base. I hate to see that happen, but am happy the move will benefit Tesla.

California has been a "Golden Goose" state for quite a while. The State is horribly run (This is objectively true, whether you are right or left leaning).Tech company money and nice weather has kept the whole thing from unraveling. If you adjust for cost of living, California has the highest poverty rate in the country, and the way they handle their massive homeless population (who need REAL help) is borderline criminal.

The last golden goose state that cooked their golden goose was Michigan. Detroit was the wealthiest city in the world 60-70 years ago, and the city was run like that would never change... until it did, and the whole state unraveled very quickly.

It's now front page news on the Daily Mail, definitely will stir things up!

tesla-dm.jpg

I kinda of mean this in a half serious/half joking way, but after Elon's tweets today.....

Tomorrow he should tweet that he will be at the Fremont factory the next morning, on the ground floor with his employees, making cars and that the county will have to make their decision to fine/arrest him. Hell he should live tweet the safety protocols as he's working.

He's already applying close to maximum pressure....might as well go full Plaid ;)

I think it's likely that the headquarters moving is a done deal. My comments were with regard to the Fremont plant, which has billions of dollars worth of production lines installed that would be difficult to move efficiently. If Alameda backs down quickly, I dont't think they will move existing manufacturing capacity away from Fremont, but time will tell i guess...
Elon literally said they would move HQ(just a name plate) and future programs. Existing programs including Fremont still have wiggle room based on how the country behaves.

Moving to Texas is probably the right long term move for manufacturing. Not just because of the health order, but it is an opportunity to execute the plan while having the high ground.

To be honest, judging from the how everyone rushed to the beaches and parties at the mention of "re-opening", a second wave is guaranteed and I estimate it to be around September. So if they can move the plant there within 3 months time, there's nothing that will be lost.

I wouldn't have said it before, but now that we have more data on how this virus behaves, safely opening the plant while following protocols that they implemented in Asia should be fine. As evidence shows from Asian countries that have almost eliminate the virus and has re-opened, the second wave infection point after reopening are not the factories, but night clubs, gyms and large festivals. For the most part, if you are young and healthy, you should be fine. If Tesla refrains from working their workers to exhaustion so their immunity system doesn't weaken, it should be fine.

What is actually intriguing to me is how the gov and health officials of the west are actually so far behind on how to react to this situation vs the east. Almost as if, the lessons learned and implemented there are not being reviewed by most of the western countries. You can see a clear distinction of infection and death rate between western countries that followed the Taiwan model vs those who did not.

Moving to Texas is probably the right long term move for manufacturing. Not just because of the health order, but it is an opportunity to execute the plan while having the high ground.

To be honest, judging from the how everyone rushed to the beaches and parties at the mention of "re-opening", a second wave is guaranteed and I estimate it to be around September. So if they can move the plant there within 3 months time, there's nothing that will be lost.

I wouldn't have said it before, but now that we have more data on how this virus behaves, safely opening the plant while following protocols that they implemented in Asia should be fine. As evidence shows from Asian countries that have almost eliminate the virus and has re-opened, the second wave infection point after reopening are not the factories, but night clubs, gyms and large festivals. For the most part, if you are young and healthy, you should be fine. If Tesla refrains from working their workers to exhaustion so their immunity system doesn't weaken, it should be fine.

What is actually intriguing to me is how the gov and health officials of the west are actually so far behind on how to react to this situation vs the east. Almost as if, the lessons learned and implemented there are not being reviewed by most of the western countries. You can see a clear distinction of infection and death rate between western countries that followed the Taiwan model vs those who did not.

The US as a whole has been a spectacular failure at organizing a well thought out, well communicated response and action from the very start. This county is totally incompetent.....but the governor is giving them that power to be incompetent. The federal government is giving that governor the power to do that. It's a system wide breakdown from the top to the bottom. Embarrassing to see the US fail so badly compared to Asian countries and now even European countries.

Nobody is asking for a date when the pandemic will end. Nice straw man you built and tore down.

They're asking for a date to resume operations. This has been given to other auto manufacturers elsewhere. So no pardon for Alameda county.

You didn't get my point at all. The point is no one really knows when this will end or be controlled enough to open things up for the public. At some point we will have to just try it out and see what happens ... that's what CA is doing. All that Health official is trying to do is keep the public safe ... yes she may be overzealous but there are ways for influential people like Elon to contact other influential people (Newsom) and get the wheels greased. Twitter ranting is not one of them IMHO.