Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going to reply specifically to this last paragraph of your long and well-written post right now and maybe, in the future I will have the time and feel like addressing some of your more specific concerns. But I might not because most of them are primarily relevant to stock traders, not long-term stock investors.

As you confirm in the first sentence, much of your lack of confidence in TSLA's valuation stems from how quickly we got to where we are today. And, we are in the midst of a pandemic no less! The reason neither of these things spells overvaluation to me stems from two things:

1) I take a long-term view. High growth companies can be over-valued for years on end while continuing to appreciate rapidly. I missed AMZN because of this and I STILL don't own any. Shame on me! While Tesla is a different company in a different market situation, please explain how it is any different with regard to the expected growth and revenue expansion. MSFT in the early days was like this (and it's STILL growing like gang-busters!). I'm glad I "bit the bullet" and bought a bunch of it when almost every Wall Street analyst claimed it was a great company but it was too "over-valued" to seriously consider. I rode that big beautiful wave for years without selling a single share (added to my position when I could, fortunately). That stock grew and split (I forget how many times) for years before I sold it for a better opportunity in 1998. If you want to ride the wave you first have to catch the wave. Great stocks are almost always over-valued for most of their high growth period (and generally for some time after their high growth period slows down). I've avoided "value stocks" for my entire investing career (and my brokerage account is glad I did). Value stocks are "cheap" for the same reason very affordable housing is "cheap". Because no one will buy it if it costs more! Desirable things always cost more. And the more desirable they are, the bigger the premium you're going to pay. And with stocks, the potential for exceptional growth is a prime driver of desirability.

To understand just how important growth rate is, it's necessary to understand how valuable every 1% of additional growth or price appreciation each year is to your long-term investment performance, something I won't get into here. Except to say the answer may shock you. Skilled investors know this. Will TSLA have its ups and downs? Of course, but it won't be like it was in the days before they had cemented their reputation because the market now sees the potential and the likelihood of it in a way it never did before (and a pandemic doesn't change that fact, it strengthens it).

I know you put a lot of time and effort into your production and delivery estimates and I imagine it's really disheartening to see the market does not respond in lockstep to what you uncover and publish. But Tesla is growing beyond the stage of being strictly tied to next quarters numbers, especially during a pandemic. Because forward-thinking investors know the world continues to turn and people will go back to work, have sex and make babies. Birthday parties will happen again, the world continues. So when you are paying a premium upfront to buy into the potential for high growth, a temporary impact does not cause you to fine-tune future growth projections in the same way that a "normal" quarter would. So it will have a much smaller impact on the valuation. Investors are largely looking beyond Q2 for that reason. Granted, if the recovery drags on and Tesla is not recovering as fast as investors expect, that will become reflected more visibly in the share price. But that raises the question "What are we using as a baseline here for an appropriate valuation to a company like Tesla?". And that leads to my second comment.

2) How quickly we got to today's valuation. Being uncomfortable with the current valuation in May 2020 due to the fact that it was only $350 in December 2019 and the fact that it dropped to $360 in March basically assumes it might have been correctly valued in December or in March. But in point #1 I already discussed the reasons why a high growth stock is worth a lot more than a stock with a more normal growth rate. And I really encourage those who not aware of how much every percent of annual growth matters to your compounded returns over time to spend the time to crunch the numbers over a decade or more with different assumed annual growth rates. This stuff matters more than most investors can even imagine!

My question to you is why would you assume Tesla was correctly valued recently at $350-$360 (but not now). Couldn't it be the other way around? That the market didn't understand Tesla's likely annual growth rate and profitability in December and it didn't understand how COVID-19 was going to impact the big OEMs in a negative and very challenging manner? Do you understand the effects of this impact and how it will benefit Tesla? The market appears to be getting it finally. Previously, the market was worried about the competition. Not only was that not a likely problem before COVID-19 but now it is even less likely. Why do you assume the market must have understood Tesla then, but not now? Companies tend to only appreciate that fast when the market didn't understand the potential until certain events made that potential apparent. In Tesla's case, the market had been told for years that Tesla had nothing special, they weren't efficient at making cars, the competition would eat them up, nobody wants electric cars, EV's are too expensive to make a profit on, etc, etc, etc. The market was in a discovery phase with respect to TSLA share price when COVID-19 reared its head. We don't know how much discovery there was yet to manifest itself in the share price when COVID-19 entered the scene.

Even though I expect the TSLA share price to take a breather, perhaps as COVID-19 lingers longer than expected, I'm not selling because trying to time the market moves is a real crapshoot. The money is in catching the big wave and riding it. If you're not on it, you can't ride it. Tesla is not fake, it's not hype, there is a strong probability it will grow into a very profitable company and continue its exceptional growth rate. That growth rate is key and it's not about next quarter, it's about the next several years. I want to be on the wave that I'm on, not worrying about whether it will give up 30% of its value in the next few months. And there is a lot of other investment income that's thinking the same thing, judging by how quickly it recovered from it's March low.

I appreciate the numbers you work so hard on providing but I think you might be a little too close to the situation to fully judge their meaning and importance relative to the share price. They definitely mattered more when bankruptcy was a more pressing concern. The stock is simply not going to move in lockstep with monthly or quarterly production and deliveries except in the very broad sense that they can help inform about likely production and (especially) profits 5 or 10 years out. They are one very small part of the valuation and primarily for their predictive ability.

I wish I could wrap this up in a manner that had more closure but just remember that valuation is not a simple thing unless you have a low-growth, low margin company with predictable and repeatable sales and slow but steady growth. Valuation of a high-growth company with the potential for high margins does not respond well to formulas because formulas need assumptions and small changes in assumptions create huge changes in future value due to the effects of compounding. NEVER under-estimate the power of compounding - it's very non-intuitive.

I appreciate your taking the time to write out a thoughtful response.

As for prod and delivery numbers, I believe you got the wrong Troy (and I don't think he'd want to be mistaken for me...haha).
"High growth companies can be over-valued for years on end while continuing to appreciate rapidly." This is a very fair point.
So yes, it seems Tesla, and most others, will get a pass on Q2.
I didn't say they were fairly valued with sp at $350. I said they were likely oversold then.
As for the other OEMs and the looming competition that never comes, I'll admit, I have trouble accepting the argument that investors just now recognize Tesla's multi-year lead and that's what is supporting the stock. It's been glaringly obvious for years to even the most casual observer that that is the case. Within the last six months, all this smart money has suddenly become convinced? In other words, I'm not arguing the market understood Tesla then, quite the opposite.
"The stock is simply not going to move in lockstep with monthly or quarterly production and deliveries". This is also a fair point and a major departure from last year if true.

Tks

If I understand this, what Tesla decided to do was optional and considerably more generous than required. If so, it's kind of hard for claims that Tesla is treating their employees poorly to be taken seriously.

No, I would say it would be neutral - not much more than required.
For e.g. suppose I have 15 days of PTO accumulated. This is 15 paid days that the company owes me. The shutdown starts and I am furloughed. Tesla has to cash this out and pay me for the 15 days of PTO. So I get the full pay for these days, but now I no longer have any PTO accumulated when I go back to work.

Then I decide I want to take another week off before I go back to work or take some vacation days later in the year. Now, I would need to take those days off as unpaid leave since I no longer have any PTO days. So it would be fair for both - for me as the employee I already got paid for PTO days in advance and have the option to take unpaid leave if I want; the employer is not paying for time not worked. So, it is neutral.

Did you read the article in the link? It was this FUD article the way it is written that suggests that Tesla did something wrong.

I didn't see it as suggesting Tesla did something wrong. And it did say Tesla paid them. What it actually said:

And while Tesla previously told its employees that they can use paid time off (PTO) days to stay home if they feel uncomfortable coming in, the company recently cashed out many of those workers’ remaining PTO days because of the extended furlough.

Which is accurate. And the tweet by Sean O'Kane was accurate as well:

Tesla is opening up & called back furloughed employees in violation of local order. Those uncomfortable w/ coming in must take unpaid leave, forcing them to choose between $$ and coronavirus risk. Many now can’t take paid leave because Tesla cashed it out.

Sure it may have been written to make it easier for you to jump to the conclusion they wanted you to, but it didn't mis-state any facts... Could they have added more context, like saying that Tesla cashed out the PTO because they were required to by California law when furloughing the employees, sure. But it wasn't necessary.

However, the article did get at least one fact wrong:

The workers who spoke to The Verge described difficult decisions they made about whether or not they should report in this week as their employer and CEO wages a public battle with local officials. Since they are both hourly workers, they won’t be paid if they stay home. If they do go in, they will make less than they used to thanks to recent company-wide pay cuts.

The pay cuts only apply to salaried workers, and they were talking about hourly employees... So no pay cuts.

Two weeks ago, I would not have believed you that it was all according to Elon's plan. Immediately after the ER call and the F-bomb that Elon dropped @StealthP3D pointed out that this was all a part of Elon's plan. Today, I completely and totally believe you. Fremont is already open and churning out cars less than 2 weeks from the ER - just at you had predicted. Hats off to you, good sir!!!

For reference, following is the post from April 29th, after the ER. The bold text is my edit.

Thank you very much for digging that up! It can take a lot of time to search and cut/paste, etc, and, in the end, people are going to believe what they want to believe but I do appreciate it.

You will notice the naysayers and Elon bashers are not coming forward and saying how wrong they were - they probably believe it's just a happy coincidence that this wasn't a big fail and that he got away with those "childish" and "emotional" outbursts. But undisciplined outbursts are not how experts like Elon build power and take charge of the world around him and there's a reason for that - you have to be disciplined to win.

Prosecutors work for the Executive Branch. You may have recently read some articles about a General Michael Flynn that illustrate my point.

That's true but do you really think he's going to get arrested if the prosecutor is not interested in prosecuting? LEO's talk to prosecutors before they arrest billionaires in situations like this. I was speaking to events AFTER an arrest. It's in the court's hands other than the prosecutor making his case.

That's true but do you really think he's going to get arrested if the prosecutor is not interested in prosecuting? LEO's talk to prosecutors before they arrest billionaires in situations like this. I was speaking to events AFTER an arrest. It's in the court's hands other than the prosecutor making his case.
Can you imagine the chaos of hundreds of people fighting to bail Elon out?

I saw a nice little SP run up in after-hours here in the US. I think maybe it was in response to the story published on ~200 cars made already. Futures look down now, but TSLA has a way of swimming upstream. As risky as any investment with today's climate, Tesla seems to float quit well.

Full steam ahead Captain, full steam ahead!

I appreciate your taking the time to write out a thoughtful response.

As for prod and delivery numbers, I believe you got the wrong Troy (and I don't think he'd want to be mistaken for me...haha).

Ooops. Sorry about the mistaken identity!
"High growth companies can be over-valued for years on end while continuing to appreciate rapidly." This is a very fair point.
So yes, it seems Tesla, and most others, will get a pass on Q2.
I didn't say they were fairly valued with sp at $350. I said they were likely oversold then.

I guess I'm having a hard time understanding how you could use the rather large difference between the recent lows you mentioned and the current price as a reason why the current price is too high (if you thought the recent lows under-valued the stock).

As for the other OEMs and the looming competition that never comes, I'll admit, I have trouble accepting the argument that investors just now recognize Tesla's multi-year lead and that's what is supporting the stock. It's been glaringly obvious for years to even the most casual observer that that is the case. Within the last six months, all this smart money has suddenly become convinced?

I don't like the term "smart money". I favor "big money" because it's often surprisingly slow to catch on. But any money that gets in before the price is bid up is, I suppose, "smart money", even if they were slow to catch on. It seems everyone (probably myself included) likes to talk of Tesla's "multi-year lead". But I think that term undervalues what I see as their real strength. Tesla has a more effective culture of innovation and small risk-taking to speed development and production. And this includes framing the problem from a first-principles point of view. While the early head start has given them a "multi-year lead", I think most of their lead is due to their culture and process of innovation, design and engineering. I think this is more difficult to replicate than any lead they have based on time. Also, their flat corporate structure helps the organization deal with problems more quickly and effectively. Maybe VW could replicate this but it will be difficult due to corporate baggage. All of this contributes to the excellent results they have been posting. Yes, their most valuable asset is corporate culture (and of course the talent it attracts). And I believe this can be directly attributed to Elon's vision and superior understanding of how people work. He didn't learn this in a management program, he developed it himself based upon his observations and first-principles thinking.

I'll admit, I have trouble accepting the argument that investors just now recognize Tesla's multi-year lead and that's what is supporting the stock. It's been glaringly obvious for years to even the most casual observer that that is the case. Within the last six months, all this smart money has suddenly become convinced? In other words, I'm not arguing the market understood Tesla then, quite the opposite.

Unfortunately people still believe every word they read on any newspaper/TV show. So when oil-backed writers(dont want to use the word journalists) get paid to dump on tesla, they do and people believe it. Even very smart people will believe it, simply because not everybody can know everything of everything. So instead of coming on this forum and read, they simply rely on 2 articles that critisize tesla and that's it, their mind is made up. It will take an earthquake to change their mind. That's just how we work.

Cramer is just 1 example of media that changed idea on tesla, and like it or not people listen. Every time an competitor came up with yet another grand design for a never to exist EV, they were immediately labeled as tesla killers. People believe it. Like they believe that airbus will have fully glass airplanes just cause they saw a drawing. Yes, people believed tesla was going to be chopped up by vw and the others simply because that's what they read.

Two weeks ago, I would not have believed you that it was all according to Elon's plan. Immediately after the ER call and the F-bomb that Elon dropped @StealthP3D pointed out that this was all a part of Elon's plan. Today, I completely and totally believe you. Fremont is already open and churning out cars less than 2 weeks from the ER - just at you had predicted. Hats off to you, good sir!!!

For reference, following is the post from April 29th, after the ER. The bold text is my edit.

Human beings in general, and Elon Musk in particular, are complex. Elon is both very strategic and very emotional. His Twitter posts compound that complexity because he uses a single Twitter account for multiple purposes: strategically furthering Tesla and SpaceX, espousing his personal philosophy, fooling around with memes and other intellectual games, letting off steam, etc.

In the case of his pandemic related tweets, I believe that his strategic goal of reopening Fremont coincided with both his personal philosophy on freedom from governmental interference and his science-based objection to the way media and politicians were reacting to the virus.

This makes it very difficult to parse out which of his tweets are strategic and which are emotional rants. Many are both.

My view is that Musk is the greatest and most brilliant businessman of our lifetime. He is also an absolute master of using the new medium of Twitter, for various purposes. But, he could be even more effective if he better controlled his propensity to publicly rant, particularly on days when he is in a dark mood.

Is that why your avatar is now a cat? :p

In other news, Germany market has been jittering upwards most of the morning. Opened around ~$795, now it's about ~$808.
We've gone a different color in pre market. Everything indicates we are ready for the next move up, just need a few things to align this week.

edit:
In fact, it may be even more convoluted. If Tesla became a Texas company, under current law, they could not do direct internet sales to anyone. Every one of those transactions would be a sale in Texas which currently must be performed through an independent dealership.

AH HA !
TESLAQ's dastardly plans have been found out ! CURSES AGAIN !!

Don't be too sure of that. I just received this text from one of my very smart and very stubborn libertarian friends:

"BB your boy Tony Stark is getting me pretty fired up!! On the assembly line today, daring the "hard-science geniuses" to arrest him!! I am in the process of re-evaluating Tesla."

Anecdotal, I know, but I think he's representative of a large swath of Americans who would never have given Musk a second look but for his principled stance.

To paraphrase sage contributor StealthP3D, Elon is channeling his inner Sun Tzu.

We're living in extremely weird times.

When I read Nextdoor and Facebook, so many people who have been staunchly against Elon and Tesla are now all of a sudden the biggest fans. I cannot describe this very strange observation. And seems like Elon would love them right back.

I'm willing to bet this fling soon falls apart once the economy is mostly opened back up again and life is more semi-normal.