Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess all in all, it's not that big of news. I'd imagine the market will react poorly, but it's a good thing that Tesla has the ability margin-wise to drastically reduces prices like this when necessary.

It also doesn't rule out prices going back up later this year, just like the M3 price was increased twice in the 2nd half of 2019.

Reactions: kbM3
Human space exploration started out with a bang and abruptly came to a screeching halt. We have barely scratched the surface.
Hmmm. Depends on one's definition of "exploration" I suppose. I think it’s interesting that most people aren’t aware that there have been, without interruption, people living in space for the last 20 years.

Granted, not on the moon or Mars. That HAS been disappointing. And you're right, we haven’t scratched the surface.

I'm curious

What exactly are the people disagreeing with on my post on the previous page? The only thing I said that was definite was that the stock is going to be down tomorrow. And I mean, its gonna be down. Whether that's 3% or 7%, idk.

I sure hope it drops, been waiting to buy more at a better price! But the market often does the opposite of what you think.

As opposed to an official paid photo-shoot? It looks like Tesla has a bevy of boutique advertising agencies that don't even bill Tesla or take any of their resources to hire and manage! :)
True. I was kind of hoping that Tesla had done this shoot, just because they could. Sort of like Starman's Roadster.

Reactions: StealthP3D
$2k off of the M3 is a 4% drop in margins. Then again, they used to sell it for $1k less than now a year ago, and the Y should bring increased economies of scale and cost reductions along with it, so maybe it won't have that big of an impact.

I think people (well some people) are beginning to understand that Tesla manufactures flat-out, as many cars as possible, as many days per year as possible and simply adjusts the price up or down a bit to control supply/demand which is often seasonal or, as likely in this instance, a black swan type event.

The big manufacturers use their dealer network (combined with end of year incentives and price drops) to soak up seasonal or natural variations in demand while Tesla keeps them moving without filling up huge sales lots. In the bigger picture, having big sales lots, full of cars, the inventory financed by finance companies and the land owned or leased by dealerships probably costs more than the more modern way Tesla does it.

It doesn't matter that the dealerships, not the manufacturer, are responsible for most of those costs, the manufacturer's still suffer the consequences because these are all costs that dealerships must add onto the vehicles before they can sell them. Someone has to pay for all that land, the periodic re-paving, the lighting and electricity, the property taxes, site security, the financing of the inventory, the insurance for the land used to hold the inventory, etc, etc. etc. It costs a lot of money to have the capability simply to hold high levels of inventory compared to simply adjusting the price a little to keep them moving out the door.

This comparison might be hard to see unless it is understood that Tesla competes with ICE vehicles, not so much other EV's. All vehicles compete against each other regardless of gasoline, diesel, hydrogen or electric,

I think people (well some people) are beginning to understand that Tesla manufactures flat-out, as many cars as possible, as many days per year as possible and simply adjusts the price up or down a bit to control supply/demand which is often seasonal or, as likely in this instance, a black swan type event.

The big manufacturers use their dealer network (combined with end of year incentives and price drops) to soak up seasonal or natural variations in demand while Tesla keeps them moving without filling up huge sales lots. In the bigger picture, having big sales lots, full of cars, the inventory financed by finance companies and the land owned or leased by dealerships probably costs more than the more modern way Tesla does it.

It doesn't matter that the dealerships, not the manufacturer, are responsible for most of those costs, the manufacturer's still suffer the consequences because these are all costs that dealerships must add onto the vehicles before they can sell them. Someone has to pay for all that land, the periodic re-paving, the lighting and electricity, the property taxes, site security, the financing of the inventory, the insurance for the land used to hold the inventory, etc, etc. etc. It costs a lot of money to have the capability simply to hold high levels of inventory compared to simply adjusting the price a little to keep them moving out the door.

This comparison might be hard to see unless it is understood that Tesla competes with ICE vehicles, not so much other EV's. All vehicles compete against each other regardless of gasoline, diesel, hydrogen or electric,

Probably the most annoying thing about how people view Tesla as a car manufacturer is how they completely ignore the dynamics of any company that is rapidly expanding capacity. Lots of rapidly growing company across many sectors and fields constantly drop prices as their capacity/production expands. No one cares because those companies don't have to make it very public as to how they drop prices as they expand. It's the basic fundamentals of growing from niche volume to high volume in any industry. I've been anticipating a 3 price drop for weeks/months because once Tesla increased their overall 3 production though Giga 3, their capacity would be accommodate dropping the price into a lower price bracket which is a larger consumer pool.

Or this could just be good news.
Model Y ramp going great with volume and margin going up as they expected or better, allowing them to rebalance prices.
Also they did upgrades to Fremont during the shutdown, and just this week they are back to close to full production to validate those improvements and the impact on margin. Timing of these price changes could be related to that.

I wonder if price reduction is effective in stimulating demand these days. How many people would decide to buy a car based on a few percentages of price decrease vs. people who are just sitting tight and won't buy anything no matter what the price (within reason).

Reactions: ABCTG
Or this could just be good news.
Model Y ramp going great with volume and margin going up as they expected or better, allowing them to rebalance prices.
Also they did upgrades to Fremont during the shutdown, and just this week they are back to close to full production to validate those improvements and the impact on margin. Timing of these price changes could be related to that.

It also could be that whatever they had planned for battery day was going into effect around now, and they're implementing it despite not officially announcing it. It would give a thought to why Overlord Musk said the third week of May for the possible battery day rescheduling.

I wonder if price reduction is effective in stimulating demand these days. How many people would decide to buy a car based on a few percentages of price decrease vs. people who are just sitting tight and won't buy anything no matter what the price (within reason).

I think the point of cutting prices now is there is no backlash from prior buyers and it helps clear Q2 inventory or perhaps get some Model S/X buyers over the line on FSD.

It is likely new models or battery types might be announced on Battery Day, and available for order in July...

Model Y, China and South Korea are hopefully ensuring adequate demand... Q2 was never going to be a walk in the park..

You can also bet dealers for ICE cars are also dropping prices with even less demand effect.