Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My point is that SpaceX contracted with the US Government to deliver a service for a certain cost by a certain date. They were 2½ years late providing that service. That is not “record time”. If they had delivered early, THAT would have been record time.

It was a great accomplishment and it appears to be a great service/product. But it was not delivered on time. I apparently rained on everyone’s parade.

Yup...SpaceX was late. BTW, hows SLS coming?

Great accomplishment, but record time? Nah. Elon time.

"While the first flights of Commercial Crew Program were originally intended to be launched by the end of 2017,[52]...In December 2016, SpaceX announced their first crewed flights would also be delayed to 2018,[55][56]following the loss of Amos-6 in an accidental launch pad explosion of a Falcon 9, the Crew Dragon's launch vehicle."
Commercial Crew Program - Wikipedia

So, 2 1/2 years late

Or far ahead of everybody else - if you're first across the line in a race that's been run once, I think that's a record. Future attempts can be faster / beat the record, but this is the standard to be beaten.

My point is that SpaceX contracted with the US Government to deliver a service for a certain cost by a certain date. They were 2½ years late providing that service. That is not “record time”. If they had delivered early, THAT would have been record time.

It was a great accomplishment and it appears to be a great service/product. But it was not delivered on time. I apparently rained on everyone’s parade. I now return you to your regular programming.

SpaceX was capable of sending crew on time in 2016 with far better reliability than the 1960s. But that's not the bar Nasa has set.

This was the first time in history that human beings have been launched into space on a rocket booster that landed itself (on a robotic drone ship in heaving seas no less)!

Go Elon! He's transforming himself from a nerdy computer guy that some people of accomplishment liked to dismiss, into a true hero of the human race with credentials no one can deny!

Except, of course, $TSLAQ losers. ;)

It was a great accomplishment and it appears to be a great service/product. But it was not delivered on time. I apparently rained on everyone’s parade. I now return you to your regular programming.

You are confusing "on time" with "record time". They are two different things, that don't necessarily have a direct relationship. (You can be late and still set a record time or you can be on time and not set a record time.)

This was my favorite line:

It was all, quite frankly, breathtaking. The line “go for launch” was followed by the astronauts “let’s light this candle.” It gave Barron’s goosebumps.

Alan Shepard, while waiting in his Mercury capsule for the launch command sequence that would shortly make him the first American in space, famously called out to mission command, "Let's light this candle!"

Last edited:

The customer is responsible for most of the delays.

You are confusing "on time" with "record time". They are two different things, that don't necessarily have a direct relationship. (You can be late and still set a record time or you can be on time and not set a record time.)

I wish everyone in this world was as logical and discerning as you are! It seems so simple.

Words should mean something, not just be a bunch of gobbly-gook that people are free to twist and turn in order to make a point that should never have been made in the first place!

I hope that at, some point, Tesla will tweet like SpaceX. Post informative stuff, with nice pictures and occasional retweets. So that Elon can juat retweet Tesla, bringing the company more and more followers, and keep his personal Twitter account for jokes, teasers, memes and geeky stuff. His tweeting habits are just perfect when they relate to SpaceX (esp. the frequent Q&A)!

I get your point, but unless you know how many Change Orders the feds added, you have no way of knowing of any time extensions.