Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you’ve misread my post completely.
I was not referring to the context of the tweets. I was not even alluding to the fact that Trump and Musk are similar. There’s no comparison there. Thus, I didn’t say something along the lines of the two figures tweet about similar ideas and opinions.

Here is what you said

People who defend Elon’s crazy tweets and people who defend Trump’s crazy tweets have some similarities in common.

I am not seeing *any* similarity in defending racism and human right violating vs. anyone else's opinions here.

I think you’ve misread my post completely.
I was not referring to the context of the tweets. I was not even alluding to the fact that Trump and Musk are similar. There’s no comparison there. Thus, I didn’t say something along the lines of the two figures tweet about similar ideas and opinions.
maxresdefault.jpg

German Automaker Paradigms | June 6th, 2020 by Alex Voigt

“German engineering” has had a top-notch reputation for good reason for a long time, and it’s a reputation well deserved. The question I have is, how is it possible that this experienced industry that has dominated important segments of the auto market for such a long time, with all its resources, could fail so miserably in developing competitive fully electric vehicles (BEVs)?​

Tagging @avoigt

Since June 2012, Tesla's share price has increased about 3000%, or about 12X the mere ~250% increase in the Nasdaq Index in this period (the small blue line at the bottom of the chart).

And if enjoying ludicrous returns isn't enough for some investors, Elon's tweets add entertainment value and on rare occasion present buying opportunities.

Screenshot_2020-06-06 TSLA Advanced Stock Charts - Fidelity Investments.png

Looks more and more like production issues, not demand, are the biggest hurdles for Q2

https://twitter.com/jpr007/status/1269181522831003648

Hmm... I’m calling made up bs. Tesla doesn’t have enough press lines to be dedicating an individual one to Model 3 and another to Model Y. Plus, it simply doesn’t work that way.

Each press line is different and there will be die sets made for each, with a possibility of some dies being able to fit in more than one press line with some changes made, though it’s not common practice to move die sets between different press lines as a matter of regularity but rather if you’re trying to even out usage or making time for a new job.

Point being, if a press line is down it’s more likely to affect more than just one model. It’s possible for a press line to go down but there be parts in inventory to continue making one model but not another depending on production sequence of parts.

There is a vague mention of solar in the last Shanghai GF factory.

Do we know if Tesla plans to make the Solar Roof at Shanghai GF?

Most of the materials are apparently imported form China, so it is a logical location for a second factory..

Also making Solar Roof at Berlin GF or in the UK would not be a bad idea.

Europe and the UK seem like a good market for the Solar Roof product.. China production probably for the domestic market and export.

Hmm... I’m calling made up bs. Tesla doesn’t have enough press lines to be dedicating an individual one to Model 3 and another to Model Y. Plus, it simply doesn’t work that way.

He is talking about the big press line as far as I know it makes parts for both Model 3 and Model Y.
Perhaps also Model S/X. This guy doesn't seem to make things up, but his tweet is only as good as his source.

Point being, if a press line is down it’s more likely to affect more than just one model. It’s possible for a press line to go down but there be parts in inventory to continue making one model but not another depending on production sequence of parts.

Yes you are right...

It has occurred to me it may have been running during the COVID-19 shutdown and they can store a lot of these pressed parts..

So it could be planned maintenance, or an upgrade.

According to other sources, module components (probably cases) from GF1 are in short supply for GF Shanghai because US Model 3 and Model Y demand is strong..

If there is anything at all limiting production, making more Model Y seems reasonable..

I'm not sure what to believe, or what deliveries for Q2 will look like..

I think they will probably look like the predicted numbers, because all the different factors will cancel each other out..

However, behind the scenes the peak run rate has been probably increased.

Looks more and more like production issues, not demand, are the biggest hurdles for Q2

https://twitter.com/jpr007/status/1269181522831003648

I'm not sure about this for Q2. Prices have been reduced this Q in the US by a reasonable amount. Elon also had a tweet yesterday reminding people how easy it is to buy a Tesla. The former is a moderate demand driver, the latter a small demand driver. Looking at the US order page you can still get a S,X or three this quarter, only the Y has delivery times starting next quarter - which matches the product price drops where only the SX3 models were reduced. There's been plenty of quarters where all models have been sold out by this time in the quarter.

They're feathering the throttle. Not a long term concern, but this quarter has been heavily disrupted with shutdowns and layoffs and Tesla need to calibrate accordingly.

Don't some broker's systems allow for fake "paper" trading for education/practice? Therefore must have Option Chain history data stored somewhere? Somebody must be archiving this data for legal record purposes at the least, no?

i have it on my computer for backtesting option strategies, going back to 2012

Last edited:
(somewhat OT) The eight-year anniversary of this day is ticking around.
(less than 100,000 views... so cute)
The cars will finally be completely out of warranty and owners can walk into the service center and ask for a new battery, and how much it will cost. It would be disappointing if the 85kWh batteries on offer were simply replacements for what was included in 2012 - even though that would be expected from any other manufacturer. Can't help but think Tesla will offer something better. What better PR than to announce this at the Battery Investor day - replacement batteries that will fit into 2012 cars have the new battery chemistry - keeping the operational lifetime of those cars as long as possible.

An awful lot of talk about the ‘fantastic State of california’... this is clearly before the Covid shutdowns...

cheers

• Funny
Reactions: MartinAustin

“German engineering” has had a top-notch reputation for good reason for a long time, and it’s a reputation well deserved. The question I have is, how is it possible that this experienced industry that has dominated important segments of the auto market for such a long time, with all its resources, could fail so miserably in developing competitive fully electric vehicles (BEVs)?​

Tagging @avoigt
I‘m not Alex, but I can assure you the german engineers are still worth their salary. You just have to let them do their job. Without beancounters and sharholder value interupting them. There‘s a reason Telsa will also open an engineering center in Berlin.

Vancouver is 970 driving miles from Fremont. Easier logistics than sending cars to midwest or east coast. end-of-quarter push

While I'm not going to ignore any signs of demand issues (this could be a sign that Covid is hitting demand for the higher end models), this was from the Vancouver BC location. Considering the proximity of Vancouver to San Fran, it's quicker to get high spec'd Model Y's to Vancouver in time for Q2 over the east coast.

I'm also dying to know what their weekly production rate is on the Y.

Apparently model Ys will be delivered to Nova Scotia this quarter, which is likely a further Delivery journey than any location in the contiguous United States. Just something to be aware of.

Tagging @avoigt

The newest developments around VW for instance show us that the incumbents move now into cost cutting despite massive incentives from the German Government. It doesn't get better.

I will publish a Podcast this week with an interview from Auto Motor Sport with the former Head of R&D and Board Member from Audi Peter Mertens who gives interesting insights about the misses he did at Audi when he was responsible for the e-tron decisions e.g. around batterie, vertical integration and other.

Its one of many interesting information that never makes it into the English media and press but is revealing and gives good insights where German Automakers are today. For that reasons I decided to do more Podcast around what German Automakers are doing and how they develop. If thats of interest for you feel free to subscribe to my YouTube Channel.

Hope you like my new CT article ...