Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Each ADR is 2 shares.

Last annual report direct from the Toyota IR site dated 6/13/2019 has 3,262,997,492 shares outstanding with 430,558,000 treasury shares so net of 2,832,439,492 shares * 132.07 /2 = 187 billion

I think I saw something about a share buyback so looks more like $178 billion than 212

Edit: treasury shares on 3/31/2020 was 496,844,960 so new net is
2,766,152,532 / 2 * 132.07 = 182.662 billion

Should add that 3,262,997,492 shares / 2 * 132.07 is ~215.5 billion so the difference is likely the sites with the higher number are not excluding treasury shares

Welp. Oil is up.

That's the downside to this whole move.

It will not last:-

Oil, gas and coal facing terminal decline and massive plunge in value | RenewEconomy

Figures published earlier this year by the International Energy Agency show a gloomy picture for the fossil fuel industries – with global coal demand expected to fall by 8% in 2020, global oil demand could fall by up to 9%, and even natural gas could decrease by around 5%.

EDIT:: Sooner or later 10% falls in global oil demand each year will be the new normal. When Tesla has fully ramped GF Shanghai, GF Berlin and with Model Y fully ramped at Fremont, they are selling more EVs, add in all other BEVs and hybrids... it is a matter of time;...

Last edited:
Reactions: JustMe and MC3OZ
As usual with Fred, the title of his article doesn't necessarily match up to the content of that email. It doesn't sound like there's production "problems", more like natural production ramp challenges that are nothing out of the ordinary and expected. If someone was just going off of freds article title, it sounds like there's some wrong with the production ramp. Typical Fred, exaggerate or mislead with the title

Also, maybe it's just me but it sounds like Elon and Tesla are still shooting for Q2 profitabilty. He's emphasizing efficiency and minimizing rework while continuing to ramp production

A more misleading title for the article would “Elon and Tesla shooting for Q2 profitability while continuing to ramp production”...

Professor Shirley Meng, one of the most respected engineers researching battery tech, seems to disagree with CATL's statements that the battery they developed with Tesla can be considered a million mile battery:

https://twitter.com/YingShirleyMen1/status/1270203469526261761

upload_2020-6-8_21-8-9.png

The SEMI will slowly start to reduce demand for oil, but it will be cumulative.

I think when we reach a tipping point, people will be surprised at how relentlessly EVs of all kinds start to reduce demand for oil...

That tipping point means more new car/truck buyers buying BEVs each year... and those doing high mileage are more likely to buy earlier..

All around the world cities are banning ICE in city centres, governments are offering incentives, production plans are being scaled up..

It is like a train pulling of of a station, deceptively slow at first...

So now NKLA is trading @ $91-92, and supposedly worth $32B? That is exactly what TSLA was worth according to the market 12 months ago @ $180.

Either way.... this is ABSURD. The bubble will burst, it's just a question of when, and how high it will go before it happens.
But, before that, can we add that market cap to TSLA please?

Tesla Semi should easily worth more than what Nikola had drawn, and I don’t see it anywhere in TSLA valuation models.

I think when we reach a tipping point, people will be surprised at how relentlessly EVs of all kinds start to reduce demand for oil...

That tipping point means more new car/truck buyers buying BEVs each year... and those doing high mileage are more likely to buy earlier..

All around the world cities are banning ICE in city centres, governments are offering incentives, production plans are being scaled up..

It is like a train pulling of of a station, deceptively slow at first...

I expect one more rebound for oil after we recover from this Pandemic/RaceRiot/Depression as pent up demand for cheap stuff rebound. Afterward, once Germany gets onboard the EV train fully. Oil will be an afterthought.

I expect to divest from oil at that point. Part of my long term, EV/Oil straddle neutral play.

Reactions: MC3OZ
https://www.emotionlesscapital.com/post/the-nikola-fyre-fest

A four-minute read, and I know way more than I want to about Nikola Motor...

From EmotionlessCapital:
"In a world full of ridiculous unicorns, Nikola might be one of the most insane stories we have seen in a long time."

Great read. Every time I hear the words vertical integration from the CEO’s mouth I wonder if he knows the real meaning of vertical integration. Maybe Tesla should file a frivolous lawsuit against Nikola for using that word. This excerpt from the article is gold.

“Since its IPO, Milton has gone all over TV, (begging hosts on twitter to let him on) claiming to be just like Amazon, a vertically integrated system that controls the whole trucking experience from beginning to end. (What Milton really means is that they plan on owning hydrogen stations, so they can generate revenue over the lifecycle of the truck.) However, in reality Nikola is perhaps the least vertically integrated trucking manufacture in history. They are outsourcing not only the build, but it appears that they own almost none of the IP.”

About half of financial news sites have Toyota market cap at ~$178B while the other have it at ~$212B. Does anybody know for sure?

View attachment 549452

View attachment 549453
This was discussed a week or so ago. Toyota bought back a lot of shares but they are in the balance sheet as some kind of reserved stock (edit: "Treasury Shares"). Since you can't really count those toward market cap, the lower number is correct.