Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well that sort of makes sense. If Nikola is worth $35B and they have little IP and no manufacturing, then the Tesla Semi program is certainly worth more than that. And maybe the portion that was "priced-in" for the Semi was $16B under valued.

Perhaps it was, but I don't think moving up the production timeline with so few details as "it’s time to go all out" justifies an incremental $16B in one day.

As for Nikola, you are very generous using the word "worth".

Sorry but you really think Elon wrote out an email to employees and confirmed it on twitter to troll Nikola and/or move up production by 1 month? Really man?

I don't really know how you take the text "It’s time to go all out and bring the Tesla Semi to volume production," as in only moving up production by 1 month. Again, Tesla had already said it was delayed to 2021. I'm feel I'm being conservative by guessing that Semi volume production has been moved up to Q1 2021.

Also, please don't compare what people on this forum say to what Fred does. We are Tesla investors, on a forum, giving our thoughts. Fred poses as a journalist and runs a website that he claims is fair and balanced......while constantly putting his opinion in every article

I doubt it has anything at all to do with Nikola, the design is complete, and they can make the batteries..

IMO production possibly 6-9 months from now, so Q1 2021 is the conservative guess, late 2020 is the aggressive guess.

OT

That's not an oven, it was a form (mandrel) for wrapping carbon fiber to make the SA/SH outer structure. It was chopped up and sold for scrap when they switched to stainless.
SpaceX goes all-in on steel Starship, scraps expensive carbon fiber BFR tooling

While Tesla could take over the site, there are other lower cost areas to pitch their sprung structure (which is also gone).

Lol, i missed that news! Thx! And folks say 'SpaceX' is off-topic...

Any idea if SpaceX actually had a large oven to go with that mandel?

Cheers!

Read my lips; done like dinner.

Competitors do have a choice....

Option 1- bring their product out early and then realise the Tesla product is superior.

Option 2- keep delaying their product until they can compete...

They are better off going with Option 1, doing it is the only way to gain experience..

Option 2 runs the risk of never happening..

I agree, so allow me to pose another question to the membership for the sake of discussion:

How many here agree with me TSLA can reach $5,000 without autonomy (i.e, robotaxis)? I get downvotes when mentioning autonomy is not necessary for Tesla to dominate because there are so many other incredible things going in its favor.

Has this run up finally brought most people in this thread over to my view?

For the record, I do understand that if Tesla robostaxis happen in the next 2-4 years with the current sensor suite, everything else pales in comparison and the stock will probably go to $10K in short order. I just doubt that happens.

I think that's on the conservative side. My bear case for 2030 is around $1.5-2T without autonomy. There'll probably be a bit more dilution between now and then, so perhaps a SP of ~$7k to $9k.

Just cashed out my whole portfolio. Just don't trust this market anymore and also because oldest daughter is going to University in September and the portfolio was sheltered in an education plan. Made some good gains. Bought Apple at $90 fo instance.
Sold whole portfolio with the exception of TSLA of course. The cash I got now is more than enough for the study of my kids and then some.

I expect a day reckoning will come later in the year for the stock market. When that time comes I I now have the cash to buy more.

Just cashed out my whole portfolio. Just don't trust this market anymore and also because oldest daughter is going to University in September and the portfolio was sheltered in an education plan. Made some good gains. Bought Apple at $90 fo instance.
Sold whole portfolio with the exception of TSLA of course. The cash I got now is more than enough for the study of my kids and then some.

I expect a day reckoning will come later in the year for the stock market. When that time comes I I now have the cash to buy more.

But money printer go brrrrrrrrrr.

Another almost 20k Robinhood users added TSLA to their portfolios:

robin.jpg

Lol, i missed that news! Thx! And folks say 'SpaceX' is off-topic...

Any idea if SpaceX actually had a large oven to go with that mandel?

Cheers!

No known oven. People more knowledgeable than I expected it to be vacuum bagged and either wrapped in heating blankets, or for the tool itself to be heated. I'm leaning toward the latter due to the photo of some inner panels being installed.

I notice @KarenRei posted this on twitter: https://twitter.com/enn_nafnlaus/status/1270878910507626496

On Tuesday, Saudi Arabia announced approval for the commercial import of electric cars for sale in the country.

Saudi Arabia's $28Bn Passenger Car Market, 2024 | Segmented by Vehicle Type, Fuel Type, Transmission Type & Region

The Saudi automotive market is bigger than most people picture, growing rapidly, and higher-end.

Saudis import around 1 million cars per year (about half that of the UK). The current market (2019) is worth around $11B per year, but is projected to grow rapidly to $28B in 2024, thanks in part due to the elimination of the ban on women driving.

How Saudis take to electric vehicles is yet to be seen. But one certainly hopes the answer to that is "well". Saudi Arabia has the potential to transition from an oil powerhouse to a solar powerhouse in a post-oil world, and their vehicle fleet to electric alongside it.​

I wonder if Elon may use one of the current class 8 truck manufacturers as a contract manufacturer for the Semi. Tesla supplies all the components and they assemble the truck. I see very little IP risk here and it would speed the time to market. I toured the Mack truck plant one time and the assembly is very manual due to the low volume and product variation. It's not at all like high volume car manufacturing. There are only about 200k of these trucks sold per year in the US and the volume of each manufacturer is only 20-90K. Their sales are down and I am sure they would love the assembly business. Sure they may all dream of their own electric truck but they don't have the know how to make it happen. It maybe a good practical solution. Just a thought on how this may play out but understand this goes against Tesla's nature to vertically integrate. Keep in mind the value is in the components going into the truck, batteries, motors, etc not so much in the assembly.