Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Isn't there also an S&P100 index? Does that index have a lot less funds following the index and thus less important? Shouldn't Tesla be something like top 50 in the S&P index and thus also included in S&P100. Or does it have other requirements than the 500 to be included.

S&P 100 inclusion according to S&P :
Constituent selection is at the discretion of the Index Committee. Generally, the largest and most stable companies in the S&P 500 that have listed options are selected for index inclusion. Sector balance is also considered in the selection of companies for the S&P 100.

So it sounds like it would be a seperate event from inclusion to the S&P 500 (and not automatic). But I wouldn't expect that to be as big of a potential catalyst for obvious reasons.

My biggest nightmare is not that I will die unhappy but that I would have wasted my life without achieving my full potential
Maybe I'm just in a whining mood today, but tell me again why we allow all this self-promoting nonsense here? Since when is posting dbag drivel about yourself on-topic?

Full potential? Lol! At what? Guess/Gambling on stock options?

My guess that that @TrendTrader007 not only knows this, but as a physician, has a master plan for his unrealized wealth that he has not shared with this community (please share!). May your most optimistic predictions for TSLA and for life come true!

I agree, it's a good idea not to jump to conclusions.

Elsewhere, can anyone tell me the likelihood we see the P&D numbers before market open Thursday? I believe qt 1 was AH Thursday, April 2, but this go-around markets are closed Friday for 4th of July weekend.

There is nothing that prevents it so who knows? It's probably not too likely but still exciting to think it could happen!

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Char and Jo-
Check around Frank. vins in the 22K have been seen. I would put MY deliveries closer to 17K this Q

I'm aware, but you have to subtract a few thousand VINs that are of cars delivered in Q1. Does anyone know the highest VIN we saw in Q1?

VINs also don't exactly match production. Isn't actual production usually closer to 50% of VINs? If someone else has better information/data on this, that'd be very helpful.

I don't have any links to share but my memory tells me that at least for the early part of model 3 deliveries it was higher than 50%.

If the Bloomberg model 3 tracker is still around comparing that to reported delivery numbers should get you somewhat close. For model 3 at least. No way to know how close model y is to model 3 of course.

I'm aware, but you have to subtract a few thousand VINs that are of cars delivered in Q1. Does anyone know the highest VIN we saw in Q1?

VINs also don't exactly match production. Isn't actual production usually closer to 50% of VINs? If someone else has better information/data on this, that'd be very helpful.

Troy was tweeting about this yesterday, comparing to Model 3:

'On 30 June 2018 the highest (Model 3) VIN was 50,000. In other words, actual production was 41,029/50,000= 82% of the highest VIN. So, if Model Y works similarly, then Model Y production so far is probably around 23,502*0,82= 19,272 units. However, this is not a precise method because actual production is not always 82% of the highest VIN. It could be 70% or 60%. We don't know. We will find out after Q2 2020 is over and then we could make adjustments. When VINs get large, this method is not usable anymore.'

https://twitter.com/TroyTeslike/status/1276870593644769282
https://twitter.com/TroyTeslike/status/1276870770476625922

He also provided a chart of Model 3 production over time showing VINs and actual production:

https://twitter.com/TroyTeslike/status/1276870217830936576

A very bullish P&D preview by Credit Suisse. They think deliveries could potentially be in the range of 90-100k. It should be said though that Credit Suisse's official estimate they are modeling is 66k units, which was last updated after the Q1 earnings report. I am guessing they will update their model once the official numbers are out.

Delivery Estimate Breakdown :
Shanghai: 30.7k
Inventory Units: 25k (based on entering Q2 with ~30k)
Fremont: Low estimate of 34.3k, high of 44.9k (based on a slow or fast Fremont production ramp scenario back to 8.5k cars/week )

Overall: Low scenario of 90.0k and high scenario of 100.6k deliveries.

Other notes:
  • Buyside consensus is likely in the 80k range. This number is much more important than sellside consensus in my opinion.
  • "2Q profit seems less and less like a radical idea."
  • "There is no short thesis (and at this point the only shorts remaining relate to top convert hedging)".

Last edited:
I'll go a step further. Chasing money for its own sake is a wasted life... according to me and every spiritual tradition on Earth.

Some folks, such as Elon, make money as a means to greater ends, such as reducing or preventing the suffering of living things.

But some folks measure their self-worth and "achievement" by their toys and numbers on a screen, and consider themselves superior to humans who "have never traded with any real capital." Sadly, these folks have never tasted the thrill and satisfaction of making the world a better place. They are fixated on shiny symbols of being loved, instead of the real thing. I and the spiritual traditions consider that a sickness, but of course these folks don't agree.

EDIT: @Bet TSLA beat me to it, more concisely.

I strongly suspect @TrendTrader007 is like most of us, he will do good with some of that money. I know that having newfound wealth from this year's TSLA appreciation has brought me much joy as I helped close friends out of dire situations that the COVID closure brought upon them. Wealth brings power, and if you use that power for noble purposes it's incredibly satisfying.

That said, investing in TSLA is addicting. We've weathered some horrible surprises along the way and now even Elon is saying that if you want to understand what's happening to Tesla, retail investors have the best grasp on it. It's damn satisfying making the biggest bet of your life and then winning. It's equally satisfying realizing that we haven't just invested in Tesla, many of us have been selling cars and jousting on Twitter and elsewhere to help the company succeed. Tesla is THE company that will lead the world to a clean, sustainable future that will ultimately affect climate change, air pollution, auto safety, and a whole lot more. I trust that this physician possesses the same compassion that we as a group value.

A very bullish P&D preview by Credit Suisse. They think deliveries could potentially be in the range of 90-100k. It should be said though that Credit Suisse's official estimate they are modeling is 66k units, which was last updated after the Q1 earnings report. I am guessing they will update their model once the official numbers are out.

Delivery Estimate Breakdown :
Shanghai: 30.7k
Inventory Units: 25k (based on entering Q2 with ~30k)
Fremont: Low estimate of 34.3k, high of 44.9k (based on a slow or fast Fremont production ramp scenario back to 8.5k cars/week )

Overall: Low scenario of 90.0k and high scenario of 100.6k deliveries.

Other notes:
  • Buyside consensus is likely in the 80k range. This number is much more important than sellside consensus in my opinion.
  • "2Q profit seems less and less like a radical idea."
  • "There is no short thesis (and at this point the only shorts remaining relate to top convert hedging)".

There's no way Tesla reduced inventory by 25k. Inventory should've been ~27-28k at the end of Q1, so reducing this by 25k would mean Tesla ends up with near 0 inventory at the end of Q2.

Even at the end of Q4'19 Tesla had ~13k in inventory, and inventory should've grown quite a bit in China, due much higher production volume at Giga Shanghai.

I'd guess inventory was reduced by maybe 8k or 10k, definitely not 25k. I'm curious why Credit Suisse would think this is the case.

There's no way Tesla reduced inventory by 25k. Inventory should've been ~27-28k at the end of Q1, so reducing this by 25k would mean Tesla ends up with near 0 inventory at the end of Q2.

Even at the end of Q4'19 Tesla had ~13k in inventory, and inventory should've grown quite a bit in China, due much higher production volume at Giga Shanghai.

I'd guess inventory was reduced by maybe 8k or 10k, definitely not 25k. I'm curious why Credit Suisse would think this is the case.

Actually, I'd believe it'd be quite reduced from Q1 30k. That was when the EOQ push was largely halted by fears of COVID-19. And they had a full month of not producing vehicles, but still distancing selling them.

I don't trust Credit Susie, but I would also say that the inventory has been reduced by 25k cars.

I think the reason it can be higher is based on the fact that we had in transit vehicles and production was shut down until May 11th. We also have registration numbers for April/May for 25 US states. Even if you assume some of these registrations are for cars sold in March it is an indicator that Tesla was selling inventory cars during the Covid19 shutdown. See article below:

WSJ Reports on Tesla Registration Numbers for April/May

Dan Levy of Credit Suisse has long been a TSLA bear.
* In January of 2020 he raise his TSLA price target from $200 to $340 while TSLA was over $420 and rising rapidly
* In late April he raised his TSLA price target to $700

He may be gaming the Q2 Production and Delivery report by trying to set expectations too high. That's what sinister bears do as we've seen FactSet analyst estimates in previous quarters where the bears were giving some of the highest numbers.

I'd guess inventory was reduced by maybe 8k or 10k, definitely not 25k. I'm curious why Credit Suisse would think this is the case
Because you can't get 100k deliveries in your headline without that reduction.

Based on his own 8.5k/week Fremont production rate and ~3k/week from GigaShanghai that leaves a grand total of 3 days production as inventory at quarter end.

LN1_Casey said:
337 new Tesla Model S's, 798 model 3's, and 437 model X
There are currently listed 370 Model S, 712 model 3, and 560 model X on EV-TSLA.com

There are 365 mode S, 642 model 3, and 544 model X.

This is an decrease of all three models--S by 5, the 3 by 70, and X by 16. I checked yesterday afternoon as well, and while I didn't record the numbers, I did note that they had increased from my morning posting. So, there are still more cars hitting the inventory roster, they're selling faster than they're replacing them. Also, yesterday was Sunday, which is typically a non-sell day for a lot of locations.

Overall, since the 25th, there is +28 Model S, +107 Model X, and -156 Model 3.

Last edited:

It isn't a 25k reduction in inventory but rather 25k of deliveries coming from the inventory from last quarter. They are assuming 76k-88k units produced in Q2, so it would be a reduction of ~12-14k of inventory Q/Q going off of 90-100k deliveries.

It isn't a 25k reduction in inventory but rather 25k of deliveries coming from the inventory from last quarter. They are assuming 76k-88k units produced in Q2, so it would be a reduction of ~12-14k of inventory Q/Q going off of 90-100k deliveries.

This makes much more sense, although I still find the original wording confusing.

That'd require a very successful EoQ push, but ~15k worldwide inventory at the end of Q2 is within the realm of possibility. 2-3k worldwide inventory at the end of Q2 definitely isn't.