Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Confession time...

It's either write this post or perch myself on the window ledge. (Ground floor. Not much good there.) This is the only audience to whom I can bare my tortured soul.

Some years ago, I bought a bunch of TSLA at $200. (I'm not savvy enough to trade options. I'm more comfortable buying and holding long-term when I believe in the strength and vision of a company.)

Through it all I held fast and didn't sell. When TSLA went down to $150 and cries of 'bankrupt' were coming from every talking head on Wall Street, I just smiled and sat tight. I watched the reversal and held on, all smiles, until the pandemic hit. Until it was apparent that the pandemic was going to have a significant impact on the world and the Tesla factory closed.

At that point, I made the dumbest financial mistake of my life to date: I sold all my TSLA at around $750. Not because of any reduction in faith. I was trying to be clever. "There's going to be a dip back to $500-ish range due to the results of the plant closing and the general economic impact," my idiotic brain told myself. "I'll buy back in at that point and have even more shares."

And the downturn never happened.

My wife steadfastly shared my long-term faith in Tesla (which is still unwavering) but she, too, believed that the world's most volatile stock would dip and give us a chance to get back in. So we waited for a dip. And opportunity after opportunity passed us by as we waited for a dip that never happened.

So here we sit. Still sitting on cash that while missing every opportunity to reinvest in TSLA.

I'm absolutely tortured at the horrible decision I made by trying to be clever. My wife is far more zen about it. We locked in profit and she does a better job of focusing on that.

And, though it all, I can't stop beating myself up for exiting at $750. I'm so anguished over this that I can't let it go. I told my wife "I want to punch myself in the face until I'm unconscious, wake up, and do it again."

This is the only place who would possibly understand my pain. All of my friends and family would hear this and say "Oh, you didn't make enough on your TSLA stock and you're sad now. Boo hoo. Piss off."

So now we're faced with a decision: I want to just get back in now at market price and forget about the mistakes of the past and she wants to wait for a dip that may never happen before getting back in.

My belief is that long-term we're looking at $2500 - $3500 in the next three to five years and just jumping back in now is the best thing to do. Trying to be clever is what got us into this mess in the first place and I don't want to make that mistake again. My wife still believes that the world's most volatile stock won't disappoint and we'll see a dip again. Certainly not down to where we exited, but possibly nearer to $1000 or a tad lower.

That's my pain and our current struggle.

Thanks for listening.

I am at the point where I could sell 2/3 of my shares and retire comfortably. However, I believe that if I hold out until S&P500 inclusion I will have 25-50% more money, and could then buy my dream Newell Motorcoach and a vacation home. So as hard as it is to not lock in my gains right now, I am waiting. I have a friend that is kicking himself for selling TSLA in the 300s after a solid gain. Another friend sold in the 300s and went all in again in the 700s. I believe that selling now would be a big mistake. In fact, I just lost some money buying back 1500SP covered calls for next Friday that I had sold a few months ago. I would not be surprised to see TSLA at 2,000 two weeks from now, and 2,500-3000 after S&P500 announcement.
Why not a Tesla Semi motorcoach?

Thanks for listening.
Spilled milk. Dwelling on it is pointless. Any one of us could say something similar in regards to buying more or buying options or whatever. Dollar cost average back in. If you think we are >2k after earnings, then that should tell you partly what do to now. Congrats on the profits.

I am at the point where I could sell 2/3 of my shares and retire comfortably. However, I believe that if I hold out until S&P500 inclusion I will have 25-50% more money, and could then buy my dream Newell Motorcoach and a vacation home. So as hard as it is to not lock in my gains right now, I am waiting. I have a friend that is kicking himself for selling TSLA in the 300s after a solid gain. Another friend sold in the 300s and went all in again in the 700s. I believe that selling now would be a big mistake. In fact, I just lost some money buying back 1500SP covered calls for next Friday that I had sold a few months ago. I would not be surprised to see TSLA at 2,000 two weeks from now, and 2,500-3000 after S&P500 announcement.

sounds so nice! And furthermore this was your post #1.420. Congrats!

Confession time...

It's either write this post or perch myself on the window ledge. (Ground floor. Not much good there.) This is the only audience to whom I can bare my tortured soul.

Some years ago, I bought a bunch of TSLA at $200. (I'm not savvy enough to trade options. I'm more comfortable buying and holding long-term when I believe in the strength and vision of a company.)

Through it all I held fast and didn't sell. When TSLA went down to $150 and cries of 'bankrupt' were coming from every talking head on Wall Street, I just smiled and sat tight. I watched the reversal and held on, all smiles, until the pandemic hit. Until it was apparent that the pandemic was going to have a significant impact on the world and the Tesla factory closed.

At that point, I made the dumbest financial mistake of my life to date: I sold all my TSLA at around $750. Not because of any reduction in faith. I was trying to be clever. "There's going to be a dip back to $500-ish range due to the results of the plant closing and the general economic impact," my idiotic brain told myself. "I'll buy back in at that point and have even more shares."

My wife steadfastly shared my long-term faith in Tesla (which is still unwavering) but she, too, believed that the world's most volatile stock would dip and give us a chance to get back in. So we waited for a dip. And opportunity after opportunity passed us by as we waited for a dip that never happened.

So here we sit. Still sitting on cash that while missing every opportunity to reinvest in TSLA.

I'm absolutely tortured at the horrible decision I made by trying to be clever. My wife is far more zen about it. We locked in profit and she does a better job of focusing on that.

And, though it all, I can't stop beating myself up for exiting at $750. I'm so anguished over this that I can't let it go. I told my wife "I want to punch myself in the face until I'm unconscious, wake up, and do it again."

This is the only place who would possibly understand my pain. All of my friends and family would hear this and say "Oh, you didn't make enough on your TSLA stock and you're sad now. Boo hoo. Piss off."

So now we're faced with a decision: I want to just get back in now at market price and forget about the mistakes of the past and she wants to wait for a dip that may never happen before getting back in.

My belief is that long-term we're looking at $2500 - $3500 in the next three to five years and just jumping back in now is the best thing to do. Trying to be clever is what got us into this mess in the first place and I don't want to make that mistake again. My wife still believes that the world's most volatile stock won't disappoint and we'll see a dip again. Certainly not down to where we exited, but possibly nearer to $1000 or a tad lower.

Thanks for listening.
Why not buy at least part of a bunch now. If the dip comes, you have powder to buy more lower, if not, at least you didn’t miss out completely.

congrats. If I recall correctly you were in a whole lot of tsla stress and pain a few months back. Delighted to hear you recovered!

Let me explain.gif

1. There is no safer investment than Tesla. Diversifying will give you a false sense of security and reduce your returns.
2. Sell now only if you have need
3. There is no better investment in our future on this planet than Tesla.
4. It has never been all about the money.
5. See #1

I don't want a 5th wheel. But if a company would convert a Tesla Semi into a Class A Motorhome I would definitely buy that.
I think companies that build high end motor homes out of Tesla semis will sprout up all over. With full autonomy it would be like a land cruise ship. I'll be buying one if I can. If it's good enough, I won't need a regular home at all. Going mobile!

My belief is that long-term we're looking at $2500 - $3500 in the next three to five years and just jumping back in now is the best thing to do.
There will be a lot of companies that double over the next three to five years, and some will increase a lot more than that. That’s not exceptional. Increasing 7-fold in 1 year like Tesla over the last year is exceptional, but I doubt it will do that again the next 12 months.

Confession time...

Thanks for listening.

I’ve done something similar. Decided to focus on the positives.
You’ve made some money already. And now you will likely make more by buying in again. Ignore what happened in between. There are millions of people who missed out on all the growth, and they will never see any in the future.
We really are in a lucky minority.

If S&P500 happens with a short squeeze, remember that the index funds have to rebalance and sell AAPL etc to buy TSLA, when they sell AAPL etc to buy TSLA they will influence the prices lowering AAPL etc and increasing TSLA, making them have to rebalance again and again until an equilibrium is found. With limited amount of shares available to sell at each price, this will amplify the movement of each iteration and move the equilibrium point.

The longer it takes for Tesla to get included, the more time the share price will have to rise and the closer to 100% of all shares will be owned by index funds. Which in control theory means that the feedback system gets less and less phase margins with its higher gain factor, the poles are moving closer to the right half plane and that the system becomes less and less stable. Which is good for us but potentially disastrous for shorts and the rest of the economy. Now is a good time read up on stability of control systems.

Not saying that this will happen, Tesla is so far just a tiny fraction of S&P500. Just saying that the stability margin is getting less and less and if longs don’t sell enoughthe system will become unstable and then all hell can break loose.

Now you’re just teasing me and getting my hopes up; I’m always down for a good hell breaking loose.

I agree traditional automakers are not at all likely to venture into this on their own.

I don't think they can. No sane top level AI expert is gonna go work for UAW or any existing "big auto". Any reasonable development team will be at a total cultural clash with the rest of the company. You don't hire people who are good at coding firmware for pacer implants, to build a prototype for a new startup idea, and vice versa.

I don't want a 5th wheel. But if a company would convert a Tesla Semi into a Class A Motorhome I would definitely buy that.
Now that I think retirement may be coming sooner than expected I'm taking a big interest in RVs. I'd hate to not have an electric version.I bet the CT could be converted into something like those RV van conversions, though it might look goofy.

Doesn't he always? ;)

TSLA buy SQ? :cool:
Don't laugh! I forgot some things on my initial list.

Tesla Pay will be like a bank account. You can spend money from it to buy Tesla stuff or services, etc. and you can transfer money into it from other banks. What's another place where money can be created from and end up in your Tesla account? Tesla Network ride revenue. Non-Tesla owners pay for rides in Tesla Network cars, and their payment goes directly into your Tesla bank account - minus the dollar that Tesla takes (or whatever it is). You can pay for Supercharger fees, if you like to eat in the car you can order meals from restaurants, and if your Tesla bank account runs out it can be topped up from a conventional bank account of your choice, just like a toll tag account. After money builds up, you can make your car payments for your fleet of 10 Model 3's that you've got parked in the street outside your house LOL, automatically make the insurance payments back to Tesla, and so on. (maybe there aren't any insurance payments for Tesla Network itself... perhaps the insurance is paid by the rider on a per-ride basis?)

Sorry for the OT but it's fun to speculate. Imagine the kind of discussions the former boss/creator of Apple Pay would have with a banking disruptor like Elon Musk.

Last edited: