Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this for real? Did Aaron Greenspan get arrested?

Attachments

• EdXAHPSUYAAEXHz.png
    EdXAHPSUYAAEXHz.png
    87.3 KB · Views: 86
They simply can't "promise" that! It will either be too expensive to buy, or won't actually have that kind of range, or will be a loss-making vehicle for Daimler. Model S is currently 380 miles on WLTP (on the German Tesla page). More than 435 miles WLTP is a fair target for end-of-2021. I just don't believe they will hit it... their current car does like 259 miles WLTP. Mercedes needs to start promoting what it is actually good at... luxury/interiors. At this stage they are no more than their own Maybach. If Tesla can produce an interior that rivals Mercedes, or at least neutralises the significant differences... Mercedes will be out of bullets. I'm not entirely sure Elon is interested in doing that though... he does whatever sells cars, and as we know, plenty of Mercedes faithful have happily moved over to Tesla for the other aspects. A person rode in the back of my car once. He said "it's nice, but nothing beats the ride quality in the back seat of a Mercedes." Maybe that's true. (for my 2013 car) But lots of real buyers are ditching Mercedes, so it doesn't matter about subjective back seat superiority.

$1516 pre-market. I'm still getting used to a $15 climb only being +1%

And that's the beauty of compound growth - this 1% today is actually 10% on my initial big $TSLA investment from 2016.

Was just looking into AMD, and it looks like they got included in the S&P 500 in March of 2017.

At that point in time, their market cap had just grown 10x over ~2 years to $13B, but they were still unprofitable. It looks like AMD didn't start to officially be profitable until later in 2017, yet the S&P made an exception for them and included them anyway in early 2017.

Actually, it looks like they got included and kicked out once before, and then were re-added before turning profitable.

Because many people stillt think that you need 1000 km range or you can't travel anywhere. It's still very common.
"I just drove 1000km without stopping in my diesel. Can't do that with your Tesla, can you?" I often hear this.
Of course it's not true, nobody drives like that - but many people think they do.

Similar to the pixel count on digital cameras - above a certain number it makes absolutely no difference, unless you are planning to blow up to the size of a billboard. But... people get excited when they hear bigger numbers.

Did he mean making "right and left turns" or just "lane changes"? He mentions "to follow the destination". You need turns for that.
Just a poor choice of words?

Elon at WAIC 2020:

Level 5 Autonomy
“I’m extremely confident that Level 5 or essentially complete autonomy will happen, and I think will happen very quickly. I think at Tesla, I feel like we are very close to Level 5 autonomy. I think — I remain confident that we will have the basic functionality for Level 5 autonomy complete this year,” he said.

"Progress disappoints in a short run, and surprises in a long run"

Jim Keller

I fully expect, to be surprised in 2020.

Tesla Stock Is Soaring. It's Controversial. And Soon, It Could Be In Your Portfolio

This is a great example of just how bad the media is at it's job. The article overall is pretty fair but this one part annoys me. Yes, it's technically true, but by that logic most of the stocks in the market are up 50 or 100% since march. I think when you are discussing the growth of a company you want to call out or even ignore an event like the mid-march covid dip.

From mid-March to mid-July, the stock quadrupled. The more accurate phrasing would be something like, putting aside the march covid crash, this stock has more than doubled since it's February value.

Because many people stillt think that you need 1000 km range or you can't travel anywhere. It's still very common.
"I just drove 1000km without stopping in my diesel. Can't do that with your Tesla, can you?" I often hear this.
Of course it's not true, nobody drives like that - but many people think they do.
Yes I get this comment often. What I say is my bladder, certainty my wife’s can’t last that long. So we will always stop for lunch and dinner. By doing that we have driven over 1000km/day MULTIPLE times with no issue. And going to the bathroom and eating along the way makes the trip far more enjoyable for us.

FFS. I drive a 2015 model S. its practical range is about 240 miles. Its fine. I wouldnt pay much at all to increase it. I'd pay for better autopilot, but mercedes iosnt offering that. I'd pay for it to be smaller too. Why are auto companies focusing on range and top speed. What makes people think every tesla owner is frustrated by range?
Also wwhere do I get my free supercharging network with the mercedes? These people are clowns.
There are two camps when it comes to range. Camp 1 are people who live in densely populated areas where you are always 50 miles away from a convenient supercharger. Camp 2 (including myself) don't have that access. My model 3 Performance doesn't have enough range for me. On road trips in winter I wind up extending my travel time by a couple hours on a 9 hour trip. V3 charging might help this but haven't experienced it yet. When I drive to Denver it's usually winter time. Of the 5 SCs on the way I always have to stop at 4, often for periods approaching an hour.

I just drove from KC to CO (9 hour trip) for a family vacation and I drove my Ex's Prius because I didn't want to spend an the extra time dealing with her or complaints about waiting to charge. (taking the kids on a shared vacation, it's complicated). I'd be pretty happy with 300 miles of actual range, even in bad conditions. So my 3 really needs to be like 425 miles of theoretical range to not be a hassle on those long trips.

Story is paywalled

View attachment 566604

Haha, Mercedes thinks Model S LR's range will remain the same for 18 months.
I don't know if I should laugh or cry.... I laughed.

We are going to loss EVERY car maker in the world if they keep aiming for where Tesla is today. Not only are they aiming to land in the old tech space, when they pick their targets Tesla has already clear as day announced they are in the middle of a jump significantly further up the field. These other car makers are picking a landing spot that has already been abandoned for significantly better tech. Their time frames are over a year away. Do they understand what a TECH company is?!? They are oblivious as to why Tesla has such a large market cap.