Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would prefer a smaller gap up in the morning with buying volume and share price increasing intraday over a 15% gap up that's then subject to a sell off. I would imagine tomorrow morning is going to be a game of chicken as to how much someone can accumulate silently before the rally starts

I hope I’m wrong, but I think we will close at or around $1600 tomorrow.

We literally ran up 60% from a month ago and people are complaining about the muted response...o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O
upload_2020-7-22_16-56-58.png

I was curios to hear that Elon's biggest concern right now is, that their cars are too expensive. Do you think long term they could be aiming at lowering the Model 3's price to $30,000 and Model Y to something like $35,000? Would make Model 3 steal even more sales from the Toyota Corolla :D

I think this could almost double Model 3 demand to 600-700k a year from currently 300-400k year.
Model Y demand could probably grow from currently 700k to 1M+.

I’ve long expected that. While they will still probably make a smaller city type car, maybe it’s currently sitting in that box in China, I’ve always expected the 3 to become the completely affordable low cost model.

I think within a year we’ll see S and X with 550+ miles of range, for about the current price, while the 3 and Y will see maybe a slight increase and stay that way for a while. Yes there are the edge cases but in most circumstances the current range is entirely adequate. No reason to use more batteries for them, better to continue to dramatically lower the price.

Will be interesting watching the other automakers squirm when the best cars ever made, 3 and Y, are $29k.

Any idea on how we can rewatch the earning call?
Any info on whether TX will let Tesla direct sell yet?
The CleanTechnica video is there (while they finish editing their streaming version)
Clean Technica has all earnings calls there - and they do a great job of illustrating the past performance of the financial analysts asking questions - noting also that there are fewer and fewer analysts on these calls :D
Past Livestreans - YouTube

Last edited:
After-action Report: Wed, Jul 22, 2020: (Full-Day's Trading)

Headline: "TSLA Qualifies for S&P 500 on Q2 Earnings"

Traded: $22,803,346,209.71 ($22.80 B)
Volume: 14,192,836
VWAP: $1,606.68

Closing SP / VWAP: 99.99%
(TSLA closed BELOW today's Avg SP)
Mkt Cap: TSLA / TM = $295.337B / $174.809B = 168.95%​

TSLA 1-mth Moving Avg Market Cap: $243.72
TSLA 6-mth Moving Avg Market Cap: $152.82
Nota Bene: $150B 6-mth Mkt Cap was exceeded on Tue, Jul 21, 2020

'Short' Report:

FINRA Short/Total Volume = 40.3% (43rd Percentile rank Shorting)
FINRA Volume / Total NASDAQ Vol = 53.0% (52nd Percentile rank FINRA Reporting)
FINRA Short Exempt Volume was 1.44% of Short Volume (53rd Percentile Rank)​

TSLA - SUMMARY TABLE - 2020-07-22.png

Comment: "Tesla Posts $104M GAAP Profit for 2020Q2"

View all Lodger's After-Action Reports

Cheers!

Watched him say this on CNBC today. He is just completely overwhelmed by everything that happens with TSLA.

A year ago most here were on suicide watch. Now everyone is lighting cigars with $100 bills. TSLA isn't a stock, it's da bomb. And it can blowup either direction. o_O

Congratulations to the Longs. F the shorts. They got more of what they deserved.
To be fair it has only truly blown up in a major way when Elon smoked weed, threatened to take Tesla private, and got sued by the SEC then that time we had a pandemic that shut down the country.

Other than that the stock has been pretty great! And there’s so much to be excited about going forward

He said that earlier, something like "it's not a stock, it's behemoth".
To the people who disagreed with my comment here. :p

Even Jim Cramer, the CNBC personality who has hyped Tesla stock plenty in the past, is astounded. Asked about Tesla stock on Twitter on Monday, he wrote: “I don’t even know if it is a stock. it is something else entirely, like a new species discovered in the wild.”

Tesla's insane stock price makes sense in a market gone mad

I will accept TSLA shares in return for my forgiveness. ;)

Any idea on how we can rewatch the earning call?
Any info on whether TX will let Tesla direct sell yet?
I doubt we will hear anything until next year. TX legislature reconvenes in Feb. The back room deals will be done by then and an amendment to the dealership laws will pass, exempting either Tesla specifically or Texas manufactures generally.

I believe Elon was responding to a question about preserving a 1% operating margin (minus credits) after operating expenses, while earlier Zach was talking about industry-leading Automotive Gross Margins, which are calculated before operating expenses.

Current Automotive is 25.4% vs. Operating 5.4%.
Interesting... so industry margins don't include operating expenses? What's the purpose of that indicator, hype sales?