Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So what's with Zach saying they should achieve "industry-leading" double-digit margin and Elon saying they're targeting maximal sales growth while preserving a 1% margin? Is there really that much of a gap between Elon's personal opinion and the company's position?

That was the one odd thing that really stood out to me on the call.

Women, Texas, and China will be Tesla’s target audience when they are ready to increase demand.
The women thing was in response to an article about men buying Tesla’s. But I’ve been waiting on this Texas factory to remind y’all I can see the future when I’m drunk. Fun day. What a difference a year makes.

Hrm, I wonder if my Track Mode sessions are getting uploaded and evaluated by the mothership . . .

Statistically, track sessions should improve driver skills and make you a safer driver which should lower your rates.

Errr... wait, I think you mean using "Track Mode" on public roads...ooops! There go your rates! :(

So what's your price targets for tomorrow? :)
Lol that’s a good question. Luckily for us Tesla consolidated so much in the 1550-1600 range the last two days that I think that’s our base and the rest is whatever the shorts are forced to buy back this week. If we get a stimulus deal by early next week then I think it’s safe to see it stabilize above 1650

If you want it to run to 1800 then look for it to clear 1715 in the morning. It can run from there but if you were watching AH then you saw it get rejected at that point. So important number to watch tomorrow for me is 1715.

Last edited:
Statistically, track sessions should improve driver skills and make you a safer driver which should lower your rates.

Errr... wait, I think you mean using "Track Mode" on public roads...ooops! There go your rates! :(

Tracks around here have been closed due to COVID-19 . . . so yeah, Track sessions on "public" roads.

They are roads out in the middle of the desert with no one one them except our group of enthusiasts.

• Informative
Reactions: AZRI11
Watched him say this on CNBC today. He is just completely overwhelmed by everything that happens with TSLA.

A year ago most here were on suicide watch. Now everyone is lighting cigars with $100 bills. TSLA isn't a stock, it's da bomb. And it can blowup either direction. o_O

Congratulations to the Longs. F the shorts. They got more of what they deserved.

So what's with Zach saying they should achieve "industry-leading" double-digit margin and Elon saying they're targeting maximal sales growth while preserving a 1% margin? Is there really that much of a gap between Elon's personal opinion and the company's position?

Do you have the exact quote? I don’t recall the 1% figure, but may have misheard.

In the end its a chicken and egg situation, the higher the volume of cars, the better the economies of scale and the more margin can be achieved, but if you use that margin to lower prices and increase volume, you can generate even larger economies of scale and even higher margins. It’s basically what Amazon did - at any point you can choose to slow down and take the profits from massive margins (Amazon started to do that in the last few years), but the incentive is to keep going for scale and increasing your potential future margins. At any point they could stop the growth and reap massive reward.

The alternative to the Amazon route is the Apple one, where you maintain your high margins and profits but the growth is managed over a longer period (eg slower). In my opinion Tesla share price is currently valued for the Amazon high growth model, so it is probably the best route to take.

Hmm. I spent today selling (to open) lots of calls to turn my existing calls into spreads. I was feeling way too leveraged, so I more or less halved it by dealing with the calls. Downside protection. All the puts I have sold I left alone. I didn't want to trim my call positions, and the monstrous premiums will possibly mean that I make money on both sides of the spreads tomorrow. We shall see.

Perhaps I'll get to buy them back tomorrow at a profit and go back to fairly extreme leverage. I'm loving this for sure. My portfolio (mostly TSLA and derivatives) is now 6x what it was at the start of the year. After tomorrow who knows. If I'm lucky I'll get back to my all-time high from January, 2018 soon.

Watched him say this on CNBC today. He is just completely overwhelmed by everything that happens with TSLA.

A year ago most here were on suicide watch. Now everyone is lighting cigars with $100 bills. TSLA isn't a stock, it's da bomb. And it can blowup either direction. o_O

Congratulations to the Longs. F the shorts. They got more of what they deserved.

Absolutely. 2019 was hell on earth.

Here’s Zach referring to Elon on the earnings call...

Last edited:

I believe Elon was responding to a question about preserving a 1% operating margin (minus credits) after operating expenses, while earlier Zach was talking about industry-leading Automotive Gross Margins, which are calculated before operating expenses.

Current Automotive is 25.4% vs. Operating 5.4%.

Last edited:

I think they talking about 2 different things. Elon was referring to overall net profit of the company. I’m guessing relative to net revenue. Zach is talking about (Auto only?) gross margin which is different and doesn’t include a bunch of stuff.