Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Piper Sandler says TSLA is “must own”

95895A4D-2325-4A75-9BB5-AADCF0A3C53B.jpeg

So what's with Zach saying they should achieve "industry-leading" double-digit margin and Elon saying they're targeting maximal sales growth while preserving a 1% margin? Is there really that much of a gap between Elon's personal opinion and the company's position?

That was the one odd thing that really stood out to me on the call.

High margins fund fast growth.

They're just going to take their money and make new factories/etc with it instead of doing stock buybacks like 90% of current companies do.

Very low volume yesterday after hours and in pre-market so far. Looks like every one who is short or structurally short (index funds, etc) is having a deer-in-the-headlights moment.

Yea I’m wondering if liquidity is already becoming an issue with most long term investors just HODLing. Plus short interest has gone down considerably.

I like the new consolidate and run TSLA better than the wild TSLA we saw the previous Monday when it shot up to 1794.99 like it was drunk.

• Helpful
Reactions: UkNorthampton
in case you missed it during last night's posting flurry:

public service announcement for everyone: the last two quarters, both major beats like this one, have followed a similar pattern -- huge after-hours spike, then it gets completely eliminated the next day, then the stock goes bananas over the following few weeks as the information is absorbed and the misinformation and FUD are gradually dismissed by the general market.

MM's going bigly to control the narrative here by spooking pre-market, because they're under real threat of an absolute rout this week...

This is where all those shares Citadel bought come in really handy.

They've got to be very careful though with S&P 500 inclusion ahead. Not being fully delta hedged in the coming weeks/months is extremely risky for them.

$125m to $250m Upside Coming in Q3
In my estimation, Tesla took a $125 to $250m charge in Q3 for Idle Capacity charges.
Expect to see margins and profits increase by that amount in Q3.
I posted details in the financial projections thread as to not clutter this thread with accounting talk (don't want to upset the future island owner):D

See link here:
Near-future quarterly financial projections

I live in Austin, and there are *a lot* of Teslas driving around the city right now. You can buy Teslas when you live in Texas, and there are service centers here. You just have to put the order in on the website rather than at the Tesla showroom.

To be clear I think the law will absolutely be changed once Tesla has thousands of employees represented by state legislators, but this whole thing is really a non-issue as a practical matter.
Except that Tesla won't (or at least shouldn't) be threatened by the legislators every session. Remember that last session there was a big push to close Tesla service centres and raise the registration to $200 per year extra. So, there is a practical side.

Reactions: Prunesquallor
Zach:

Regulatory credit revenue increased sequentially to $428 million. While difficult to forecast precisely, our best estimate of 2020 credit revenue is roughly double that of 2019. Services and other margin improved yet again, marking the fifth sequential quarter of improvement.

2019 was:
85c78cf16a27b1065db23a8559876152.png

216+111+134+133 = 594

Estimated for 2020 double that, so 1188m. Tracks roughly well with 350m$ pr quarter from FCA.
I think the doubling expectation implies the addition of PSA into the EU pool. That would increase the number of petrol/diesel cars by x4! And PSA's are just as dirty as FCA's.