Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am (not really) surprised that there are people here who have so little understanding of money. So you think that when you get dividends that you are getting something of value back? You mean those pieces of paper that long ago lost any rights to be turned into gold? Paying dividends to shareholders is just turning one kind of fantasy into another. Economic "theory" of this sort is mostly BS.

Things have value because people believe they can get other things in exchange for them. "Money" has value for the same reason. So long as my shares can be sold they have whatever value I can sell them for. This does not require dividends, nor does it require any sort of belief about dividends. Dividends are just another way to move value around.
Yes. A share of stock is literally a fraction of the (perceived) value of the company. That underlying value comes from physical assets (real estate and machines), and data and organization and workers. If they turn on the machines then there's value from the goods produced, and an operating factory is probably worth more than an idle one, if people want what the factory is making.

If there was an auction tomorrow to sell Tesla, my shares would definately not be worthless. Period. Whether or not a companyever intends to generate dividends has nothing to do with it. Many would argue that a company gives dividends when they are no longer smart enough to come up with a better use for the money.

Yes. A share of stock is literally a fraction of the (perceived) value of the company. That underlying value comes from physical assets (real estate and machines), and data and organization and workers. If they turn on the machines then there's value from the goods produced, and an operating factory is probably worth more than an idle one, if people want what the factory is making.

If there was an auction tomorrow to sell Tesla, my shares would definately not be worthless. Period. Whether or not a companyever intends to generate dividends has nothing to do with it. Many would argue that a company gives dividends when they are no longer smart enough to come up with a better use for the money.

Dividends are a bribe for purchase.

I like EM’s transparency, common to many software engineers. I base quite a bit of my investment decisions on his mood. More often than not, his tweets and actions reflect his feelings clear as day.

If he’s happily working at SpaceX end of quarter and posting happy tweets, that’s my cue to invest more or hedge less.
What’s amazing about TSLA is Elon basically tells us what is going to happen in advance, all you have to do is listen to him and you’ll earn an outstanding return. Last May he was dropping hints about production numbers. Anyone following the story should’ve gone damn near all in at that point.

The call icon in the current Model S UI is not only an analog phone, it's a Candlestick Phone at that!:

close-open-menu.jpg

Thanks for explaining that icon to me!
I was wondering what in the world it was trying to depict and had no clue.
It certainly did not make any sense to me, without the text "call" I would not know the purpose of that button.

And an short repellent too, since they have to backpay any dividend to the original owners.
BTW. A little known accounting fact: "Dividends" paid by shorts to the original owner of the stock (i.e., the investor whose shares were lent) are called "in lieu of" dividends and do not qualify to be taxed at the taxpayers dividend rate. They are taxed as ordinary income. From my experience, I've known CPAs that didn't know this rule. Generally, even the ones that are aware of it, still count them as dividends.

Tesla motive power still comes from cylinders, (cylindrical cells).

The general public may come up with completely different imagery than what you're imagining ;)
Focusing on the battery is best, since not all products have motors.

T E S L A
Charging Forward.

...gets my vote.

We should also remember that Tesla disrupts everywhere it goes. Especially in advertising. Perhaps they will forego a slogan altogether.

I think this is great news. Rivian has some awesome trucks. I hope they work out the legal issue with Tesla and Rivian can get rolling. This is bad news for other OEMs because their bread and butter is trucks. It is OK news for Cybertruck because I think Cybertruck is in a different type of buyers segment. I think it being so different almost puts it in it's own segment.... almost like a Jeep (real jeeps) more than a pickup truck. Ford needs to keep it's investment unlike Mercedes who should have stayed partnered with Tesla.

Cybertruck and Rivian R1T are literally in different segments.

Cybertruck is a full size truck and R1T is a mid size truck.

• Informative
Reactions: oldTAVguy
I seem to remember a thread derail due to dividend talk about a year ago.
Seems a few people stomped out in a huff over that one.

I don't care about no dividend's.

At least the dividend discussion has some merit.

Which I can’t say for the weekend long harping about ‘running’ or ‘firing’ on all cylinders. Just stop.