Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If those delivery issues could not be fixed, I could understand waiting. But since they can be fixed, I’d order it now. My Model S had an issue that was quickly resolved by service. Glad I didn’t wait for the “perfect“ car to be delivered. Now it’s just the “perfect“ car after the delivery issue was resolved. Good enough for me.

But I do agree that it is annoying such glaring issues do get sent to the customer. There’s no question it sours the delivery Experience a bit.

I hope/expect that the fit/finish issues on Y will reduce when GA5 is in operation. As was the case with the 3 I do not expect the MIC Y to have the same initial fit/finish problems. Same should be true for the MIG Y.

(Will GF Berlin vehicles be MIG or MIB or MI?)

Yes he is being stupid. I've owned my car for 2 years now and I've used the card a grand total of 3 times. No way he doesn't have his phone on him constantly.

It's ironic when I see complaints about this, as the truth is the 3/Y keycard/BT phone key are more flexible and, IMO, better than the S/X fob. I have a 3 and an X, and I really wish the X would be able to use phone-as-key and the card like the 3 does. It's just more convenient to not have to pick up the fob every time I want to leave, and the BT phone key is more resilient if something goes wrong. Eg in the X if I lose my fob and either my phone or the car has no internet connectivity, I'm SOL. In the 3 if I lose my phone or my card, I can get in and drive away with the other one, regardless of connectivity.

But it is cool to shut all the doors via the fob, occasionally.

We now return you to your regulaly-scheduled emotional support group programming.

It’s pretty inaccurate considering the amount of voters that have switched from Republican to Dem, the strong preference of swing voters to vote Dem this year as well. And by any dieological lens as recent studies have shown the Dems here would be considered moderates on the global stage where as the GOP is pretty far right.

however now that there is a progressive wing of the party (in response to decades of worsening economic inequality) many rich people like Musk feel without a home, but that doesn’t mean it’s true as a generalization, but the party leadership including the candidate is as moderate as it gets.

It’s fairly evident the middle has it self shifted to the left wether that’s on economic or racial issues.

Judging by your location I'm not surprised you think this way. NYC/SF/LA live in a bit of a bubble.

Most people are sick of both parties and their shenanigans. It's like they take positions on issues based solely on how much it will piss the other side off. It's why the congressional approval rate sits at like 14%.

Biden v Trump is probably the worst case of lesser evils in a long, long time.

You do for S. With S, the app talks to the mothership through wifi/Cellular, and mothership opens/starts car for you. I wish they add the bluetooth direct support to S, abut AFAIK, they haven't yet. Only 3 +Y have this feature from get-go.

Which is why I on vacation travel always bring two set of keys for my S. I almost exclusively park in parking garages, big concrete structures, often underground and with spotty cell coverage. Hopefully they do upgrade the S to BT.

Hes+right+you+know+_3f9a5e2ca9af9dad5df588da0bcb8f70.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: Drumheller
Judging by your location I'm not surprised you think this way. NYC/SF/LA live in a bit of a bubble.

Most people are sick of both parties and their shenanigans. It's like they take positions on issues based solely on how much it will piss the other side off. It's why the congressional approval rate sits at like 14%.

Biden v Trump is probably the worst case of lesser evils in a long, long time.

I wasn’t talking about the political parties, neither of which I am a fan of, but ideology which shows up in voter registration data and polling. Clearly you haven’t seen the actual polling on American’s attitudes to different policies.

It’s not me that is living in a bubble, there is clear evidence that Americans have shifted attitudes on social and economic issues to the left in recent years. Many political scientists have written papers on this.

Well, first I don't know why all these reviewers keep bashing the key card. Consumer Reports also complained. They both grudgingly acknowledge that most people will use their phone, yet they don't focus on that. Brownlee apparently doesn't realize that after you've unlocked the car from the outside, you don't need to do anything else with the key card or phone to drive it - as long as you do it within 30 seconds. So his complaint that you need to put the key card on the center console isn't really appropriate for every day use. Then, his complaint that the key card flies off as you drive doesn't make sense at all as there's no reason to leave the key card there - once the car has read it, you can remove it and put it back in your purse or wallet. As an early Model 3 owner my biggest complaint here is that the phone and car don't always connect to each other as I walk up and so I'm standing there tugging on the handle and the door doesn't open. Half the time I reach into my pocket to get my phone it does connect, other times I have to wake my phone up (iPhone X, btw). I guess I don't have to actually open the app, but there's nothing more annoying than a convenience feature that isn't convenient.

So, the car he's driving was lent to him by Tesla for the review (as he says and it has Tesla OEM plates). Yet it still has obvious fit and finish issues like a very loose sun visor, large panel gaps, and a loose trim piece:
View attachment 569507 View attachment 569508 View attachment 569509

I appreciate what Brownlee says about the relative importance of such things, it is more than disappointing. When I talk with my fellow Tesla owners and Teslanaires about ordering a Model Y, we literally talk about waiting until Tesla gets its manufacturing act together. My early Model 3 (VIN under 2K) had a really bad panel alignment, very annoying wind noise at 50 mph, and a rear defroster where some of the lines didn't defrost. The Tesla Service Center was great and fixed all three, but 2 of those should never have passed QA. Anyway, we want to trade up to a Model Y and as a big Tesla fan as I am, am literally waiting. I can't be alone in this - and wonder if this is somehow hurting Tesla demand right now, hence the recent price cut ($2k, btw since FSD went up $1k at the same time).
Elon pretty much said why the Model Y pricing was reduced. "I think we will not succeed in our mission if we do not make cars affordable. Like the thing that bugs me the most about where we are right now is that our cars are not affordable enough. We need to fix that." So Tesla will continue to reduce prices as they reduce production costs. This is about the mission (to advance sustainable energy) not a lack of demand.

I hope/expect that the fit/finish issues on Y will reduce when GA5 is in operation. As was the case with the 3 I do not expect the MIC Y to have the same initial fit/finish problems. Same should be true for the MIG Y.

(Will GF Berlin vehicles be MIG or MIB or MI?)

Uh, MIGs in Germany might not be the best idea of an acronym...

I wasn’t talking about the political parties, neither of which I am a fan of, but ideology which shows up in voter registration data and polling. Clearly you haven’t seen the actual polling on American’s attitudes to different policies.

It’s not me that is living in a bubble, there is clear evidence that Americans have shifted attitudes on social and economic issues to the left in recent years. Many political scientists have written papers on this.

Let the data speak for itself. Attitudes are mixed depending on the given proposal. Also, this data at a year old is stale. I think further polling is needed after the many shocks sustained by the US this year.

Screen_Shot_2019_07_23_at_1.55.14_PM.png

Which is why I on vacation travel always bring two set of keys for my S. I almost exclusively park in parking garages, big concrete structures, often underground and with spotty cell coverage. Hopefully they do upgrade the S to BT.

One card in my wallet, one in my wife's purse.

Only my phone set up though as car too close to house (bluetooth might unlock). I switch off bluetooth when I get home. Almost fluffed it once with car and wallet in car. Near miss and never again.

Reactions: Cobos and Nocturnal