Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We Charge Volkswagen’s new charging service has over 150,000 public charging points
DB2020AL00835_EN_1163.jpg.x_1163.y_1900.trans

Why you gotta go and make things so complicated?

Why would Tesla sell powertrains and batteries to a company, who must the turn around and make money on the car, when Tesla could just build the car and make ALL of the money? Selling batteries to other companies so THEY can make money is NOT a money maker for Tesla! It is helping the mission maybe, but NOT a money maker for Tesla. Unless of course, you are convinced that Tesla is demand constrained.

Tesla.. was production constrained on batteries.. now production constrained on vehicles? 'send me all your nickel' and 'buy our powerpacks'.

It must be tedious for Elon to have to wait for a new giga, tera or peta factory to be built. I mean it takes a year give or take.

Better that the coachbuilders (I mean OEMs like Mercedes-Benz) just package the powertrains and software and reduce wind noise, add buttons and make the doors clunk nicely with a badge that keeps some happy.

Last edited:
EUR.jpg

upload_2020-7-29_2-6-12.png

upload_2020-7-29_2-7-5.png

In the brands ranking, we have the most balanced race in the history of this ranking, with none other than 4 brands with 9% share (Tesla, BMW, Renault, Volkswagen), with Tesla hanging on to the throne by a thread (well, 489 threads...which are the number of units that separate Tesla from the #2 BMW), with only 1,155 units separating the #1 Tesla from the #4 Volkswagen, while Volvo (8%, up 1%) is rising, so we currently have five manufacturers running for #1...

Finally, looking at the plugin rates of these brands, there are some interesting numbers, if Tesla is of course easy to see, 100%, the others show different pictures: BMW (13%) and Renault (10%) show moderate electrification rates, Volkswagen (6%) is below average, so the ID.3 is badly needed, while Volvo is the progressive force among these Legacy OEMs, with a 25% plugin rate, but there are other established makers with higher electrification rates, like Porsche (31%) or the French Luxury brand, DS (33%), with both profiting from the advantages of being small companies and therefore agile, proving once again what the Dinosaur theory says:

"In stable times, it's good to be big, because of scale, in disruptive times, it's good to be small, because you can change faster."

EV Sales: Europe June 2020

I think it is an error to place Etron in the same class as Model S but certainly Taycan belongs there.

The mining equipment comment doesn't surprise me. Elon appears to always tackle the hardest problems head on and he's clearly highlighted that nickel supply is considered a problem.

It would also have applications for the ultimate objective of colonising mars.

Core Truth: I know where there's loads of Nickel

"When magma sits in underground chambers, slowly cooling over thousands of years, heavier elements sink. These elements, including copper, chromium, iron, and nickel become concentrated at the bottom"

" large igneous provinces (LIPs); such places are sources of nickel, copper, titanium, iron, platinum, palladium, and chromium.[4][23] Mars's Tharsis region, which contains a group of giant volcanoes, is considered to be a LIP"

Plus nickel-iron meteorites.

Ore resources on Mars - Wikipedia

Oh while I'm at it - palladium element is not needed for plaid-ium project.

View attachment 570099

I tend to highly doubt other automakers will take him up on the offer. Your brand becomes what? styling/design?

No one has signed up licensing use of the superchargers which he has offered in the past. This to me is more obvious and would greatly benefit some manufacturers competitiveness in the EV space.

If anyone take this offer it will still take years before we see any cars on the road. Designing a new car takes time. And they would have to design a new car. Putting Teslas skateboard under any existing car bodies would not work as it would not fit.

That said I hope this happens eventually.

I was so hopeful for the future of EVs and the auto industry when these first compliance cars came out. Coming from a 10yr old Prius at the time I thought Toyota had a great future having partnered with Tesla. Nearly a decade later and even with the kickstart they had, they are still years behind.
This shouldn't have been a surprise because Toyota has always disliked batteries (with no ICE to back it up). They derided the RAV4-EV by calling it "the battery carrier". They are still fixated on hydrogen as can be seen by their styling with the large grills required for hydrogen vehicles.

Last edited:
Don’t worry, OEM will design their cars to need enough services to keep dealers happy, also keep the parts revenue coming.
But probably because of that, they wouldn’t like Tesla drivetrains, they would need to be creative to achieve that goal if the core of the car lasts million miles and came with OTA.
Dealerships will become less important as they start to go out of business. Every Tesla sold is one less profitable car for dealers. Right now it's the manufacturers that are hurting, but soon it will also be the dealerships.

Interesting Munro chat. He mentions that Model 3 battery pack was 135$/kWh while Model Y is 110$/kWh. This must mean that the roadrunner batteries must be significantly cheaper than 100/kWh in my opinion. Mentioned at 1:11:00

Frankly, the only way Sandy would know the cost per kWh for Tesla is if he had internal info from Tesla's battery suppliers. Considering Tesla's very tight battery supply chain (it's typically a few hundred meters N-S inside the Giga Nevada, at the moment and for the past 3 years), I doubt he has that info. It would seem he simply looked at the average cost of cells for that general quantity of battery cells order for that chemistry back in 2018 vs. in 2020. He himself admitted during the Model Y teardown that the cells in the Y are identical to the cells in the 3, but the pack architecture (specifically, assembly materials) changed somewhat. It doesn't mean Tesla is paying that much more currently for the Model 3 packs than for the Model Y packs. It also doesn't mean the numbers Sandy mentioned are accurate with any relevant degree of accuracy. In fact, nobody outside of Tesla and Panasonic knows the real cost of battery cells, and only Tesla knows the cost of the battery pack. The only possible insight we may have on Tesla's battery costs is the market price for raw minerals. That's it! And the cost of raw materials is just a fraction of the total battery pack cost per kWh.

firstly, fan of your posts. Got to disagree with this one though. Tesla has been manufacturing vehicles for a decade now...and fit and finish lags behind ...still. That will not change in a few years. Improve, yes..,best? , I highly doubt it...although would like to be wrong.
Sorry, but the two Teslas I have purchased (over the last seven years) indicate that Tesla does not lag behind in fit or finish.

Sorry, but the two Teslas I have purchased (over the last seven years) indicate that Tesla does not lag behind in fit or finish.

I dont agree. Have owned a Model S since 2015 and I really love it. Came from an Audi A4. In terms of fitting and finish it did overshine my Model S. Just the soundproofing of the doors in Audi and the sound when it closed made my day that time.

... but no doubt I prefer Tesla over Audi today for so many reasons. I guess my preferences just changed almost instantly after trying a Tesla for the first time.