Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yup, I got 100 warrants for some change in my couch... if it's worthless eh I'm out a nice dinner out, if it turns into a real thing it's a nice lottery win.
DPHC DPHCW (Will become Lords Town Motors RIDE)
The warrants are trading at about 4 and the stock at 14.
Cant find info on what the warrants entail.

Bought 10 of each as a placeholder.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Unpilot
I find it interesting that the options for the most part stop at a strike of $2000. From there it's pretty much a steep jump. What does that mean for THEM. I don't think they can push it down <$1900 where they probably want it. Something has to be going on behind the scenes since it appears to me THEY aren't even trying. I am thinking the large volume in $2000 strikes Calls is because THEY bought back as many as people would sell. In the big scheme of things a close above $2000 is only a few BILLION extra down the drain for them.
Max Pain is $1700 in the 2.7B! range. (I am sure that was pushed up today)
$1970 a bit under 5B.
$2000 is a little over 5B.

What's a few billion among friends right?

Am I reading that right?
Screenshot 2020-08-20 at 7.39.22 PM.png

Them's some big numbers!

I am half expecting a big push down tomorrow because those billions are adding up fast. There has to be big fish swallowing the shares up. No Robinhooder is buying up billions in shares.

DPHC DPHCW (Will become Lords Town Motors RIDE)
The warrants are trading at about 4 and the stock at 14.
Cant find info on what the warrants entail.

Bought 10 of each as a placeholder.

https://sec.report/Document/0001213900-19-023400/
Look at:
Note 4 pg 10 "exercisable to purchase one share of Class A common stock at a price of $11.50 per share"
Note 7 pg 12 "expire five years after the completion of a Business Combination or earlier upon redemption or liquidation"

Says 2/22/2024 expiration when I look up a quote

• Love
Reactions: HG Wells
I am just thinking inside the bottle (outside the box).
Actually I drink one day a week...Friday, with friends.
I wish it was Friday. If the stock finishes anything over $1800 this week Tesla will be a topic I will bring up. I was very forceful a friday a few weeks back trying to get a close friend to start ROTH 401's for his 2 kids using TSLA at $900/share. I told him he'd seem way cool to his kids when they found out their old man bought TSLA back when it was a "struggling" company. And it was the leader in solving the world's energy problems.
Then again he took the family to Las Vegas 2 weeks ago, and I told him to go in the Desert at night with his two kids (early teens) and show them the Meteor because it would "time stamp" their lives to his. And he didn't. Meteors and Solar eclipses...things to measure time by.

Can you open a Roth for your kid if they don't earn anything? I was reading the rules yesterday, and the article said that parents can gift an IRA to their children as long as the contribution does not exceed the kid's earned income. My kid is in college and has no income, can I invest for a ROTH in his name?
Second question - Our income level is too high to qualify for ROTH. Our son is dependent on our tax returns. Would he qualify for a ROTH?

Completely related to TSLA since 100% of that investment will be in TSLA

• Love
Reactions: scramies
That's what I'm seeing. Minus the Biden speech being a catalyst - this kind of buying looks to me like somebody that knows they're going to be buying a lot of shares tomorrow, and getting option positions in place ahead of time looks like a great way to benefit from that buying.

The 78k 2000 call trades makes the 30-40k 2050's and 2100's (each) look 'small'. Something like 150k trades - if those are all represent net new positions, covers 10.5M shares; that's about 5% of TSLA shares outstanding. I really don't expect that those 150k trades ALL represent net new positions, but it's still a huge amount of volume (and I suspect more than 1/2 represent net new positions).

The 2100's aren't being bought thinking we'll got $10 or $20 in the money - I expect they are looking for $100 or more ITM (based on that previous "bull raid" (my term) we had a month or so back with the $200 move on a Friday).

If only I had the courage of my convictions, along with a better than bad ability to predict direction, magnitude, and timing of the share price. (Make your own decisions, take your own consequences; my own conviction leads me to "do nothing")

Disagreed because I don't believe anywhere close to 50% of an option's volume will be added to open interest. Usually I see open interest end up closer to 20% of volume, and that's total open interest, not increase in open interest during the trading day.

A lot of the option volume is simply day trading, and because most option trades have a market maker on one end of it, 1 sold option and 1 bought option will often result in no change to the open interest.

Reactions: Sudre
Can you open a Roth for your kid if they don't earn anything? I was reading the rules yesterday, and the article said that parents can gift an IRA to their children as long as the contribution does not exceed the kid's earned income. My kid is in college and has no income, can I invest for a ROTH in his name?
Second question - Our income level is too high to qualify for ROTH. Our son is dependent on our tax returns. Would he qualify for a ROTH?

Completely related to TSLA since 100% of that investment will be in TSLA
Yes you can open for minors but they need earned income. I pay my kids for household chores etc and that is their income.

Also, you can contribute the max to a traditional IRA (post tax money) and immediately convert it to a ROTH regardless of your income. It then grows tax free like a ROTH (unless they change the rules some day...)

https://sec.report/Document/0001213900-19-023400/
Look at:
Note 4 pg 10 "exercisable to purchase one share of Class A common stock at a price of $11.50 per share"
Note 7 pg 12 "expire five years after the completion of a Business Combination or earlier upon redemption or liquidation"

Says 2/22/2024 expiration when I look up a quote

Yup...soon as I heard about the Lordstown deal I looked to see if options were an...err... option...to get a cheap leap or something just in case- they weren't, but warrants just as good so grabbed 100 for like $2.50 each...they're about 4 bucks now and have sat there a couple weeks now... figure by 2024 they'll either be worthless, or worth quite a bit- seemed worth taking a shot since the investment was only like 1/6th of 1 share of TSLA at the time.

While I expect Tesla to continue to lead in EVs for a long time, SOMEBODY else is gonna have to sell some decent ones eventually and I'm pretty sure it's not gonna be a legacy company at this point (and it's about 98% unlikely to be Henrik, and sure as *sugar* it's not gonna be Trevor- and Lucid and Rivian look interesting but privately held) so why not toss a couple bucks into a lottery ticket on some folks that look vaguely legit?

For those of you thinking about retiring and buying an island or something, you may not need to sell shares right away to do so.

There is something called an "asset depletion loan" https://blog.massmutual.com/post/how-to-get-a-mortgage-during-retirement

Not advice, just something I happened to stumble across in my, um, travels.

edit: Oh and, by the by, money doesn’t seem to get much cheaper than it is these days. Just an observation, again not advice.

Last edited:
Yes you can open for minors but they need earned income. I pay my kids for household chores etc and that is their income.

Also, you can contribute the max to a traditional IRA (post tax money) and immediately convert it to a ROTH regardless of your income. It then grows tax free like a ROTH (unless they change the rules some day...)

Seriously? I can pay him for things like loading the dishwasher or making tea for me and put 6K in an IRA for him? Do we need to do any paperwork to show he is paid for that? We could do an immediate ROTH conversion for him afterwards for tax free growth.

Unfortunately (or fortunately?) I cannot do a ROTH conversion without paying double taxes on new contributions for myself. I rolled over a 401K from previous employer to an IRA and then invested 90% of it in TSLA, which has grown well into 7 digits now. Now if I add after-tax money to an IRA and try to do a conversion, I would have to pay taxes on the entire 6K again as it is such a minuscule percentage of the total IRA money. It is all because of TSLA of course - so this post is still related to TSLA ;)

Seriously? I can pay him for things like loading the dishwasher or making tea for me and put 6K in an IRA for him? Do we need to do any paperwork to show he is paid for that? We could do an immediate ROTH conversion for him afterwards for tax free growth.

Unfortunately (or fortunately?) I cannot do a ROTH conversion without paying double taxes on new contributions for myself. I rolled over a 401K from previous employer to an IRA and then invested 90% of it in TSLA, which has grown well into 7 digits now. Now if I add after-tax money to an IRA and try to do a conversion, I would have to pay taxes on the entire 6K again as it is such a minuscule percentage of the total IRA money. It is all because of TSLA of course - so this post is still related to TSLA ;)
Yep, or they can earn money babysitting, mowing lawns etc. You do have to file a tax return for them which is a pain and if they earn enough there is self employment and income tax. I just did small amounts for my kids in an Ameritrade account, a few hundred dollars per year but it gets them interested in finance. Doesn’t hurt that Some of was invested in TSLA of course!