Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Again not wanting to get into what parts of that theory are true or not- it was covered pretty exhaustively a while back- but that's the thinking on shorts needing to cover or delivery real shares on the 28th.

My theory was a little different as I believe regular short-sellers are fine (other than taking a hit from the rising price). My theory (which has yet to be proven or disproven) is that bad actors (probably market makers) had been running a scheme to float a bunch of synthetic shares they had created out of thin air (due to lack of any real oversight). These shares were used to manipulate the market (mostly depress TSLA share price) and make money but the extra accounting brought about by the split threatens to uncover their shenanigans and they have to make those shares whole (by buying on the open market). This may or may not precipitate a short squeeze.

This is just a wild theory (that there are millions of synthetic shares floating about) I am entertaining MAY be happening - there is no hard evidence of it. And I don't know if this Friday or next Friday would be the date they would have to make good on their shares (I'm leaning towards today). One way they could possible shake enough shares loose is by running the price too high, too quickly and hope they can precipitate a selling frenzy. Even after this has fully played out we may not know the real answer. But if we see another strong rally before the day is out (or before next Friday) I think it adds a lot of credence to this theory.

IBKR won't upgrade me to portfolio margin because I'm not diversified enough. ;) (well technically they will but it would be less margin available) I guess I should stop making so much money and spread money around. haha

I text myself to sell all the time....
I ignore those texts. I am well aware that I'm an idiot.

Last edited:
Just give her the car.......
Re loans to friends and family - a much simpler rule is only loan any amount you fell comfortable considering it a gift aka not getting any back. In other words do not expect to be repaid, and if you do, well good for you.

I had a legal agreement with my first ex-wife, she didn't hold up her part of the bargain. I didn't sue, didn't want to ruin my son's life .. wasted waaay too much energy brooding about it. She wasn't friendly then. Well fast forward many years, after she really got that I wasn't going to sue .. we're good friends now.

Tried to get her in to the TSLA story .. helped me understand why so many people are deaf to this particular truth. Now some wealthy relatives who pooh poohed Tesla NOW consider it a little (only a little) less condescendingly only because, well, Elon is so rich, he must be right. /s

Sorry for such a potentially absurd response or question in this thread....

I kick myself for depositing money into a trade account but not proceeding with buying shares of TSLA in april when it was in the $400 range. I kick myself when it dipped a couple weeks ago to 1380.... Even at $2000 a share today, is it foolish for me to not get in today, before the split?

One rule of thumb that I've heard is ask yourself the question "If you owned the stock at today's price, would you keep it or sell it?" If the answer is that you'd keep it at today's price, then it makes sense to buy it at today's price. If today's price would make you want to sell it, then you probably don't want to buy it.

Please don’t call our mods idiots.
I never thought the mods were idiots, but the actions could easily be described as idiocy. They were dis-engaged from the members on virtually every level but "Delete" and "Suspend."
I tried to talk sense to them back then, I am STRESSING the "back then" aspect. I even gave them an out when I tried to talk to them by mentioning how difficult their position must be. But instead of discussing the issue their "communication" was that of a corporation not concerned about any individual. I got back form letters when I wrote them. And when I asked why I received such questionable inflammatory content their response was everybody got the same letter.
Since then there has been a MAJOR shift. Both in tolerance and respect...on both sides.

I agree that a suit and tie shouldn't be required per se, but dressing well and presenting oneself well has 2 benefits:
  1. People are visual creatures. Almost everybody will at least subconsciously react more positively to a person who takes care of his/her appearance than to a person who does not.
  2. Just like being able to explain things eloquently shows off that specific skill and is a reflection of oneself, so too does being in decent shape shape show that a person can take care of his/her own health, and dressing well shows that a person can present him/herself well.

It's also an invidious class distinguishing tell. My most envied fraternity brother wore polyester suits compared to my Brooks Brothers. He was a scholarship student.

Re loans to friends and family - a much simpler rule is only loan any amount you fell comfortable considering it a gift aka not getting any back. In other words do not expect to be repaid, and if you do, well good for you.

I had a legal agreement with my first ex-wife, she didn't hold up her part of the bargain. I didn't sue, didn't want to ruin my son's life .. wasted waaay too much energy brooding about it. She wasn't friendly then. Well fast forward many years, after she really got that I wasn't going to sue .. we're good friends now.

Tried to get her in to the TSLA story .. helped me understand why so many people are deaf to this particular truth. Now some wealthy relatives who pooh poohed Tesla NOW consider it a little (only a little) less condescendingly only because, well, Elon is so rich, he must be right. /s

My former wife owned me money after the divorce that she never paid me. The amount wasn't enough to sue her for, and I really didn't want the headache of going through that in the wake of an already unpleasant divorce. What I did was simply declare the amount as an unrecoverable debt on my federal income tax, which made the amount deductible for me. When one declares an unrecoverable debt like that, one has to identify on their tax return who the debt is owed from and the IRS then assess an income tax on the debtor because that unrecoverable debt then become taxable income to the person who doesn't repay the debt.

Should I have done that? I dunno. Being able to deduct that amount made me feel a little better about not being repaid and since it was technically income that she received, I didn't think there was anything wrong or overtly childish about my being responsible for her now paying income tax on it. And, in doing so, I effectively absolved her of any obligation to repay the debt, so she came out ahead anyway. Enough time has passed that we get along okay now. Not so much that I felt compelled to advise her about getting into Tesla, though. I do have my limits...

I agree that a suit and tie shouldn't be required per se, but dressing well and presenting oneself well has 2 benefits:
  1. People are visual creatures. Almost everybody will at least subconsciously react more positively to a person who takes care of his/her appearance than to a person who does not.
  2. Just like being able to explain things eloquently shows off that specific skill and is a reflection of oneself, so too does being in decent shape shape show that a person can take care of his/her own health, and dressing well shows that a person can present him/herself well.

Frank, I don't disagree with you at all there - where we differ is whether a suit and tie is necessary to look like you take care of your own health or be in "decent shape". And if that is someone's perception it's only because they have been brainwashed their entire life. More fraud has been committed in a suit/tie simply because people are brainwashed to think this adds an "air of credibility". If you believe it does- fine. I'm saying this a rule that needs to be shattered once and for all. The focus should be on the person (and how well they present), not the trappings.

Last edited:
IBKR won't upgrade me to portfolio margin because I'm not diversified enough. ;) (well technically they will but it would be less margin available) I guess I should stop making so much money and spread money around. haha

I ignore those texts. I am well aware that I'm an idiot.
That's my biggest gripe with IBKR. Its margin calculation is like quantum physics compared to RBH

it’s not a point of contention.

It absolutely is, and was, for pages and pages among a slew of well known posters here.

StealthP3D just posted their own explanation of their own contention with it a few minutes ago for example.

it’s not dividend income

A stock dividend is another type of dividend, that would (if a real stock dividend) be subject to exactly the same rules for shorts as a cash one.

you keep debating it

I'm unclear which part of "I don't want to restart the debate" you are having trouble understanding?

I posted what the original theory was for someone who asked about the relevant dates for that theory, and specifically said I did not want to rehash the debate around said theory.

You're the one who appears to keep trying to do so.

i’ve replied to you directly more than once with the mechanics of how it works. yet you keep posting non-factual interpretations. i’m trying to help you understand.

No, I don't.... and no, you're really not.

Last edited:
Sept 2200, 2300 CC's got sweaty, closed along with Oct Calls bought on the dips back to 1300's for a good ++ overall.
Delta increased, now waiting for when to sell next set of CC's. (+just did, sold Sept 3000's now @ $20)
++ 100K to the bank this time.

Are you saying you sold 50 calls 3000? Are those naked calls, or do you have 5.000 shares to cover them? :eek: