Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone seen my 10 mil socket? Assembling 2nd spanking machine currently, stand by for updates.
7833327F-230F-460B-A50F-6390820957B8.jpeg

This is for the shorts.
tenor.gif

I guess you have to take the bad with the good! ;)

Honestly, I really don't think it's a good thing to have to emulate those who use a suit and tie to lend credibility to their BS. Good analysis should be able to stand on it's own and people need to start realizing that a suit and tie are superficial things that don't add any value to the conversation. If you think differently, I would say it's only because you have been brainwashed your entire life.
It's one of those hold overs. I'm not a formal guy myself, but there are many people who won't take you seriously if you aren't dressed up and I'm aware of that. Heck, I listen to Gali and he usually has the techie/hacker look going.

Honestly, I really don't think it's a good thing to have to emulate those who use a suit and tie to lend credibility to their BS. Good analysis should be able to stand on it's own and people need to start realizing that a suit and tie are superficial things that don't add any value to the conversation. If you think differently, I would say it's only because you have been brainwashed your entire life.

You’re absolutely right. The idea, though, is to show some respect to the other person, the tradition, the job, et al... by dressing in a manner befitting the situation.

Personally, I don’t care one way or another but a lot of people do. Knowing your audience and putting your best foot forward has literally no negative side effects. It also tells others you care what ‘they’ think, which again has no negative side effects.

Generally as we age we give less ****s. I mostly don’t give any about anything. However, I totally know how to present myself when I want something from someone, when I want to be seen in a particular light, when I want to show respect when I feel it’s deserved etc... It might annoy me to do it, but it doesn’t hurt me.

Never mind. Scratch all that. I sometimes forget how exhausting it can be to be nice. Middle finger all the way.

if short you don’t have to deliver any shares back to anyone by any date because of the split, except otherwise traded shares that fall within the regular settlement cycle

I thought I was pretty clear about not wanting to rehash the debate.... the but reason you would have to deliver shares would be this being a dividend, not a normal split.

That was one of the major points of contention- if it was a "real" dividend, or just a wording difference from say Apples split because of a technicality of Tesla being incorporated in Delaware rather than CA.

The original stock owner who lent shares doesn't have a "real" share right now, so they won't get 4 shares from the dividend unless someone NOT TESLA supplies them. A short is obligated to supply these in lieu of the dividend (cash dividends work the same way- the SHORT is on the hook to pay it to the lender).

If all the above held sway, the brokers could choose to supply those 4 real shares (they have to be real shares, not virtual ones like the 1 each lender is holding now) and ding the short account for them fairly transparently but wouldn't be required to do so.

Again not wanting to get into what parts of that theory are true or not- it was covered pretty exhaustively a while back- but that's the thinking on shorts needing to cover or delivery real shares on the 28th.

You're killing it. Hopefully I can copy some of your strategies in the future. I would like to be in a comfortable retirement position within the next ten years.

As I said, @Green Pete posted that the leaps looked undervalued considering the situation Tesla was currently in. I looked at them and agreed. It was a no-brainer considering the expiration was over a year out. And @Green Pete has already said he just kind of lucked onto them. I continued to add to that winning position through the end of the year and the beginning of January by buying shorter dated calls as it became apparent that Tesla was becoming "discovered", that the anti-Tesla story was crumbling right before our eyes. You make money when the market is distorted by BS - there will still be money to be made but it probably won't be that good ever again, not with TSLA. Most of my profit has come the old fashioned way, by starting with 1/3 of my portfolio long TSLA and watching it largely take over my portfolio as it has appreciated 6-11 times since buying last year.

What is the old saying? Strike while the iron is hot!

Just a quick check: If I have shares at the end of the day, then the amount of shares will be countend an payed out as dividend on the 31st?

For the age of the shares in reference to taxes?

No, I am pretty certain that the new shares are counted from the date of the original share. So, a 1 July 2019 share is now 5 July 2019 shares.

What if the baby is sleeping? 5 mins of deep sleep? Then Tesla will be held responsible by CNBC if something happens to the baby......

The article specifically said that the micro movements can be sensed, including breathing and heartbeat.

If both of those have stopped for 5 minutes, you have a larger issue than leaving the baby in the car.

This is for the shorts.
View attachment 578954

It's one of those hold overs. I'm not a formal guy myself, but there are many people who won't take you seriously if you aren't dressed up and I'm aware of that. Heck, I listen to Gali and he usually has the techie/hacker look going.

TMC is your huckleberry (ie, huckle bearer), shortz...

...Seriously, I’ve (we’ve) watched my (our) investment in TSLA plunge for no reason and stay artificially suppressed for no reason at all for the last 5 years...my colleagues have teased and scoffed at my Tesla interest and “foolish” investing.

This is way more than vindication....as Doc H would also say....it’s a reckoning...and it’s very very personal to an awful lot of folks...the money gains on paper are great but this goes way deeper...cheers to all who hung in there...it wasn’t easy...I know...

I agree that a suit and tie shouldn't be required per se, but dressing well and presenting oneself well has 2 benefits:
  1. People are visual creatures. Almost everybody will at least subconsciously react more positively to a person who takes care of his/her appearance than to a person who does not.
  2. Just like being able to explain things eloquently shows off that specific skill and is a reflection of oneself, so too does being in decent shape shape show that a person can take care of his/her own health, and dressing well shows that a person can present him/herself well.

I thought I was pretty clear about not wanting to rehash the debate.... the but reason you would have to deliver shares would be this being a dividend, not a normal split.

That was one of the major points of contention- if it was a "real" dividend, or just a wording difference from say Apples split because of a technicality of Tesla being incorporated in Delaware rather than CA.

The original stock owner who lent shares doesn't have a "real" share right now, so they won't get 4 shares from the dividend unless someone NOT TESLA supplies them. A short is obligated to supply these in lieu of the dividend (cash dividends work the same way- the SHORT is on the hook to pay it to the lender).

If all the above held sway, the brokers could choose to supply those 4 real shares (they have to be real shares, not virtual ones like the 1 each lender is holding now) and ding the short account for them fairly transparently but wouldn't be required to do so.

Again not wanting to get into what parts of that theory are true or not- it was covered pretty exhaustively a while back- but that's the thinking on shorts needing to cover or delivery real shares on the 28th.

it’s not a point of contention.
it’s not dividend income

you keep debating it

i’ve replied to you directly more than once with the mechanics of how it works. yet you keep posting non-factual interpretations. i’m trying to help you understand.

the long, who lent shares or not, gets the extra 4 shares tacked onto his position.

Hate to say this, but . . . yes. YES: KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT.

Learn from our experience.

We loaned about $40k to buy my wife's sister her Model 3 last year. Payments have come, BUT they've been less than "like clockwork" despite a signed and very formal loan agreement. This is awkward so I've not brought it up with my wife.

Now that we're at a massive sum of PAPER gains on TSLA, what do you think the odds are that I'll have much leverage on getting those payments back on the agreed-upon schedule?

Those odds would decrease even further if the full extent of our gains was known within the family. So, YES, IMHO it is far, far better to keep your pie hole shut when it comes to TSLA investments. Nothing good will come of it.

Nothing.

Just give her the car.......

Tesla is quite concerned with human safety, but I always lean to the answer being "Mars". Most actions Elon takes are at least half informed by his needs for Mars colonization.

My assumption is there's a Mars factor that made the decision for them to go with radar. I mean.....do we really think Elon cares about boring holes on planet Earth? No way, that's a Mars habitat manufacturing company.
The article specifically said that the micro movements can be sensed, including breathing and heartbeat.

If both of those have stopped for 5 minutes, you have a larger issue than leaving the baby in the car.

My response was in relation to why not use a camera and shut it off after 5 minutes.