Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yup. They keep saying that every time TSLA rises. But there are too many good news items in the near future for this to be a bubble of any kind. No doubt there will be more ups and downs, but the long term trend will be up.

Reactions: oldTAVguy
It’s not just TSLA; let’s not forget that AAPL is in a similar situation, and has also had a very good week.

upload_2020-8-21_10-30-4.jpeg

Sorry for such a potentially absurd response or question in this thread....

I kick myself for depositing money into a trade account but not proceeding with buying shares of TSLA in april when it was in the $400 range. I kick myself when it dipped a couple weeks ago to 1380.... Even at $2000 a share today, is it foolish for me to not get in today, before the split?

consider this: Tesla is displacing ARAMCO. How much is that worth?

Sorry for such a potentially absurd response or question in this thread....

I kick myself for depositing money into a trade account but not proceeding with buying shares of TSLA in april when it was in the $400 range. I kick myself when it dipped a couple weeks ago to 1380.... Even at $2000 a share today, is it foolish for me to not get in today, before the split?
Ayup.

Goodness knows! But if I had to give a number, baring whole market macro events causing havoc, I'd say about $600
I was ready to go ballistic on such a ridiculously bearish sentiment. Oh, wait. The split. sigh I don't think I'll ever get used to the stock price. It was around 300 for so long and since then it just keeps bouncing around. $200, $1000, $400, $2000 and in about a week's time $400 or so again.

One rule of thumb that I've heard is ask yourself the question "If you owned the stock at today's price, would you keep it or sell it?" If the answer is that you'd keep it at today's price, then it makes sense to buy it at today's price. If today's price would make you want to sell it, then you probably don't want to buy it.

I think more along the lines of would I like to have bought the stock, at today's price, 5-10 years from now. That said, when someone is thoughtfully investing long term, their answers should be the same either way.

One potential pitfall of long-term investors who are focused on short term prices is that if one happens to think the share price is overvalued today, but undervalued long term, they may be inclined to wait on a dip that never comes.

While all stocks will dip, there's no guarantee that any one stock will dip below whatever they think is a fair price today.

This is one reason I generally recommend that fence sitters buy/sell half of their intended position while they are thinking it over.

Since I am generally wrong about short-term price movements, this approach often makes me 50% less wrong.

So I'd be selling right now if it weren't for inclusion looming large in the near future. I know it's been discussed, but if we know roughly how many shares each major institution needs and roughly how many they currently own....l why can't we just keep a running total of "buying the inclusion should trigger"? Are people/funds doing this and just don't want to share the info? Seems quite doable to me unless I'm missing something.

It's a tug of war today. Not sure whether we are seeing expiration day manipulation by MMs, as many here have suggested, or whether it's people loading up on new calls and unloading many of those 95,000 calls 2000 that expire today, as some others have suggested.
Lol, Call volume was 90K contracts at the $2,000 SP, but Open Interest (O.I.) was only 15K contracts at the end of Options trading yesterday.

Still, with the SP hovering +$50 above that popular $2K Strike Price, there's going to be a real game of chicken to see who blinks first and sells, vs who holds on for a potential late-day rush.

I suspect there is one more factor at play today: an outsized number of Call holders may actually want to excercise their Options to buy shares (S&P comin'), and these folks may counterbalance delta-hedging induced selling, when another Call contract holder decides to 'sell to close' thus cashing out w/o buying shares.

As always, will be facinating to watch, a true master-class in Markets, Economics, Retirement planning, and most especially MARRIAGE COUNSELLING! :p

Cheers!

Dress is a precursor to formal communication, and a support during communication. It establishes the framework, and the message delivered should be assimilated based on ALL the available information.
In Rob's situation there are several aspects he considered. First amongst them was the audience...Cramer's Audience. Cramer wants to be the guy that has his shirt sleeves rolled-up as if he's been working hard all day to get the facts. Cramer wants his audience to see him as having been dressed up earlier in the day, but through out the day he's worked so hard that he needed to take his suit jacket off.
And Cramer wants to be seen as the ONLY guy working that hard for you.
And Cramer knows the sector of his audience that needs to assimilate Rob's information. I think Rob asked what to wear to present the information to the segment of the audience that he and Cramer were trying to influence. And if he didn't "ask" he was told.
Now to my observation... didn't that suit look a little large and dated? Maybe that was on purpose as well, or perhaps Rob's Dad is a little larger than he.

consider this: Tesla is displacing ARAMCO. How much is that worth?

Are you asking us to put a price on cleaner air to breath into our lungs and slowing down and reducing all the future impacts of global warming? o_O

It's priceless!

But if you're pointing out how valuable Tesla's energy business could become, well, yeah, that's a very big number! :eek:

...I have sold some shares, roughly 15% of my TSLA holdings. ..
Just for the record; in the event that other long term TSLA shareholders are ready to sell a bit it is wise to remember that if they're US taxpayers they'll end out with very substantial capital gains. In my case it has ended out with my 2020 gross income higher than I have ever previously had. Thus I'll have hefty estimated tax due on 15th September. For those of us who have not previously faced this it is sometimes easy to forget the estimated tax. I have had this happen before but never quite this large. of course, if you forget to pay, the penalty from the IRS is only 3% from 3Q 2020, although it is compounded daily until paid.

I refer to this as definitely a First World Problem.

So I'd be selling right now if it weren't for inclusion looming large in the near future. I know it's been discussed, but if we know roughly how many shares each major institution needs and roughly how many they currently own....l why can't we just keep a running total of "buying the inclusion should trigger"? Are people/funds doing this and just don't want to share the info? Seems quite doable to me unless I'm missing something.
I suspect there may be a lot a post-split, post-inclusion selling. The run-up to Battery Day should interesting to watch.

Just a silly thought: how many Robinhood traders may think like this:
"Oh, this dividend-split thingy on TSLA is a great opportunity to double-dip for free. I buy some shares before 21st Aug., sell them the following week and THEN get issued 4 shares for each that I can sell again after the 31st"

I know that's not how it works and the brokers will take care of transferring the extra shares to the buyer of next week.
The question is how many "noob" traders do not know that and hope to "game the system" ?