Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Taxation in my country on capital gains: if I sell now, gain is calculated from original purchase price and taxed at 34%. FIFO rules, so you can't choose which shares you sell.
BUT if hodl over 10 years, you can calculate gains by using 40% of current selling price as original purchase price.
This is called "hankintameno-olettama" and no, I have no idea howto translate to english.

But with large gains, you save a lot in taxes if holding over 10 years.

Kiitos.

(I just wanted to say that to you, @samppa , like Kari after watching and loving 'Bordertown'! :))

...As someone who strongly believes in Tesla, I have put my money where my mouth is. That said, I refuse to wear rose-colored glasses and somehow believe that the current positive alignment of business progress, analyst appreciation, supportive macro-environment, FOMO, S&P 500 inclusion, etc. will all last for years.

1) business progress
What part of Tesla's business progress do you refuse to believe will last for years? The factories? The innovation? Consumer demand for the best cars in the world? Industry demand for batteries cheaper than gas peaker plants? New products dreamed up by the world's best engineers (vans, home HVAC, VTOL aircraft, boats, ships, who knows what) when the current product map is complete?

2) analyst appreciation
What analyst appreciation? Sell-side analysts have been chasing TSLA's runup, not leading it.

3) supportive macro-environment
What supportive macro-environment? We're in the middle of a global pandemic. Other parts of the macro-environment (climate change, pollution concerns) will not end soon.

4) FOMO
When do you think FOMO will end if Tesla keeps increasing production, margins, innovation, new markets and products?

5) S&P 500 inclusion
When do you think this will end? Certainly front-running will end when inclusion happens, but then 26M shares will be permanently removed from the float by index funds, and probably many more by benchmark funds.

My glasses are not rose-colored, IMO, but crystal clear. I refuse to wear shite-colored glasses just because TSLA has suffered big drops in the past.

It is a mistake of logic (linear thinking, reasoning by analogy) to believe because TSLA behaved a certain way in the past that it will always behave that way in the future. Things change. Tesla has changed. They didn't have factories and design teams ramping up on three continents before, or "mind-blowing" new battery technology, or a "quantum leap" rewrite of FSD software, or Autobidder software creating exploding demand for utility-scale batteries and virtual power plants. Now they do.

Last edited:
Had to sell some at $2,278, feels too frothy for me. Still have way too much in TSLA for a sane person.
Hopefully that's in an IRA account so no tax implications as if you are like me, you'll be buying it all back one day soon. I have a few million $ as well, thankfully I bought it all for a song back in 2013.

Hopefully that's in an IRA account so no tax implications as if you are like me, you'll be buying it all back one day soon. I have a few million $ as well, thankfully I bought it all for a song back in 2013.
Some Roth some regular. My net worth keeps getting too heavily weighted in Elon to feel comfortable.

The most astonishing thing is that there are 716 "analysts" ranked lower than Gordy!
Someone on here years ago cited the greatest investment quote in history......"If an analyst could analyze, they wouldn't be an analyst."

100% undeniable truth yet we just go along with it for some reason. If these idiots knew anything, they'd be on the beach. It's literally on-par with 80's late night "get rich" infomercials.

Had to sell some at $2,278, feels too frothy for me. Still have way too much in TSLA for a sane person.
Too many trading opportunities to ignore now. I'm gonna dabble in selling a small bit after(during) inclusion to try and buy back in on a 15% pullback from $2,600. Will almost certainly to fail. You're all welcome for the move from $2,600 to $3,200 this fall.

My thinking about TSLA price is simplistic. If growth of revenue through new models and production overall is 40% yoy, then price should go up by same percentage. Not an advice.
Operational leverage makes profits scale faster than production once the break-even rate is reached.

IE: if you must make 100K cars to break even, and 110K production gives you $100M in profit, then increasing production by just 10% to 121K gives you 100% more profits.

It's because once all the fixed costs are paid, the Gross Margin per car filters down directly to Gross Profit.

We passed that happy inflection point in 2020Q2, even with the Fremont factory idle for half the quarter. Q3 will produce monstrous profit. :D

Cheers!